Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by mrdeeno These phones seem to a lot of manufacturing defects. My first ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Re: Back Cover coming off..

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    These phones seem to a lot of manufacturing defects. My first had a severely crooked camera lens, and my new one has this.
    I have a feeling if we saw the Mexican assembly plant for the Pearl we would

Quote Originally Posted by dwc
    Mine is Canada-made.
    Mine too.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

they may have taken 3 years to design this phone, but they dropped the ball on the manufacturing. A phone can be designed like crap and put together really well, or it can be designed really well and put together like crap.

I'm not really worried about being made in mexico. I'm sure most of the parts were made somehwere else and final assembly was in mexico, which may explain the QC problems. But even then, they are relatively minor so far. i haven't heard of any catching fire yet (and no, sanfran, i mean 'fire'...as in REAL flames)

Are you saying the pic of mine on fire is fabricated? Thems fightin words.

they may have taken 3 years to design this phone, but they dropped the ball on the manufacturing. A phone can be designed like crap and put together really well, or it can be designed really well and put together like crap.

I'm not really worried about being made in mexico. I'm sure most of the parts were made somehwere else and final assembly was in mexico, which may explain the QC problems. But even then, they are relatively minor so far. i haven't heard of any catching fire yet (and no, sanfran, i mean 'fire'...as in REAL flames)

I'm sure most of the parts were made somewhere else and final assembly was in Mexico, which may explain the QC problems.
    I agree, assembly may be the issue, not quality of the components.

Considering the delicate nature of the parts [after all, this is a 3.2 ounce phone] there does not seem to be much room for error, either in manufacturing processes or assembly.

E.g., I can picture a machine stamping out those battery doors. Would seem so many per thousand are going to be flawed. When the part reaches the assembly plant, I suspect no one is testing the door to see how well it closes. They just quickly snap it in, if it stays in place, in the retail box it goes.

hey, when it caught fire, how did you take the cover off to take a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    I agree, assembly may be the issue, not quality of the components.

Considering the delicate nature of the parts [after all, this is a 3.2 ounce phone] there does not seem to be much room for error, either in manufacturing processes or assembly.

E.g., I can picture a machine stamping out those battery doors. Would seem so many per thousand are going to be flawed. When the part reaches the assembly plant, I suspect no one is testing the door to see how well it closes. They just quickly snap it in, if it stays in place, in the retail box it goes.
    or an even more likely error, forgetting to but a tiny itty bitty teeny weeny little black tab or piece of foam in that space...

who knew such a small piece had such a big impact on the quality and satisfaction of customers.

Mine has the foam too. And judging by the uneven cut of the foam, it seems like they are just cutting bits and slapping them in there.

Actually, discussion of this is great because I bet all the times that people in here have complained about the cover not staying on, that piece of foam and/or the spring fell out or was missing in the first place.

Seems that foam acts as the spring for the latch or is there also a spring in there? I looked at it with a jeweler's loupe and I cannot tell.

Here are some closeups of what I have:

Maximus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Mine is made in O' Canada...foam included.

the spring is a separate part and is under the part of the button that you push down (it's smack dab in the middle of the underside of the chrome button). It is positioned by a pin on the button, but it is not secured on there if the button is removed. I realized this when i popped the chrome button off and saw the pin fall. It is very small and is what pushes the button back up...but of course it is so small that it's very weak and will move down very easily. It's ONLY function is to push the button back up...it is not strong enough to secure the button in upward position with any amount of force.

the foam/tab/whatever seems to function for 2 purposes...1) gives the button resistance so you have to push harder to open on it to remove the cover, and 2) prevent the button from "leaning" forward when the cover is on.

By "leaning" forward, i mean that the part that latches onto the cover is forward of the spring, so the button will "lean" forward and slightly down when the cover is installed. And this is why the latch can barely hold onto the tab on the cover...the tab on the cover causes the button to be semi-depressed, so any little force on the cover or button will unlatch the cover.

The foam/tab prevents the button from being semi-depressed...it forces the latch to be in the full up position, so the latch has a better catch on the very small/low tab on the cover.

it took me several hours of comparing the 2 phones to realize this and what the actual function of the tab/foam was...and once i figured that out, that's when i was able to devise and "Macgyver" a fix for it.

Mine has the foam too. And judging by the uneven cut of the foam, it seems like they are just cutting bits and slapping them in there.

Actually, discussion of this is great because I bet all the times that people in here have complained about the cover not staying on, that piece of foam and/or the spring fell out or was missing in the first place.

Seems that foam acts as the spring for the latch or is there also a spring in there? I looked at it with a jeweler's loupe and I cannot tell.
    yeah, but of course someone's gonna post a new thread in a week asking about this exact same topic because they didn't do a search.

I guess they're going with foam for models made in canada and a little piece of cardboard or whatever down south. The piece of cardboard or plastic was actually very secure in my previous device...it definitely wasn't a piece of foam and was pretty secure.

Aaronc no está en línea Stack level 1

Mine is definitely missing the foam/cardboard. My tab pushes in very easily with no resistance at all.
    What's weird is that I've had the phone for over a week now before I noticed this. I'm not sure if something happened or it shifted in there somehow.
    I tend to be really easy on phones, had my last phone for 2 years and it was in great shape.
    I'll make sure the new one I get has some resistance on the tab before I get it.

I guess they're going with foam for models made in Canada and a little piece of cardboard or whatever down south.
    This is consistent with the way Mexicans do cheap auto upholstery for gringos.

My understanding is that they stuff the seats with cardboard and newspaper. :cry:

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

Here are some closeups of what I have:

Damn! That's a mighy fine camera you have there to get those shots! What are you using?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast