Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I got the Pearl last Tuesday and it's been great so far until today. My ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Aaronc no está en línea Stack level 1

Back Cover coming off..

Advertisement

I got the Pearl last Tuesday and it's been great so far until today.
    My back cover will not stay on, it looks like the little tab that you push in to get the cover out is stuck down a little bit. Everytime I go to pull the phone out of my pocket, the back cover slips off.
    I'm going to bring it in tomorrow to get a new phone.
    Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.
    I hope it's a one off thing but the back cover seems a little flimsy to me.

I love the phone except for this little glitch.

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Back Cover coming off..

I think i have seen mentionings about this very issue.... Anyone got a fix they use for this problem without returning the phone?????
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

Maximus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

I have the skin on...so no issues with the battery door.

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

Try to see if the problem is with the door itself or the phone frame. I think you can order replacement doors.

atst2000 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have heard of this problem before on another post....cant think of which one tho..

Supposedly it happens...its a defect in the cheap back cover RIM made.
    If you just got it you might want to see if you can swap it out for another one

I love the pearl but its very cheaply made :cry:

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

there is a DIY fix for it, but it is VERY tricky and i wouldn't suggest anyone do it. It is a defect in the release button...not the cover or the frame.

i got my phoen from an internet dealer, and he exchanged my first one because it had a crooked camera lens. The new one had the back cover problem and i did not want to exchange again.

While i had both of them (before sending back the old one), i comapred them. If you open up your cover, remove the batter, and look at the little space for the front part of the button to move up and down, there should be a little black tab (looks almost paperish). This tab is what keeps it from moving down when the cover is over it. If you cannot see the little black tab in that space, the button is flimsy enough to slide open with enough force.

My fix involves popping out the button...but WARNING...there is a TINY spring in the middle of the push button part that is very easy to lose. I dropped it a couple times but was lucky enough it did not bounce or roll anywher.e This thing is TINY.

But that space where there should be a black tab, it's just a cavity for that front part to move down...it does not go anywhere else. So i cut a little black piece of wire tire just long enough to fit in there (too short and it may fall out)...stuck it in there, and put the button back on. Now the button only moves as much as the original phone i had...ie very little.

The button should not move down far, especially this front part. It should feel like it is barely moving. If it moves a lot when you press it, it is probably missing this little black thing.

Again, I do NOT advise this fix. I am anal and lucky enough that I did not lose that spring. Bring your phones back to the store and exchange it.

here is a picture of the tab i am talking about.

if you look and the space is just empty, then you are missing it. It won't look exactly like this because this is my DIY fix.

These phones seem to a lot of manufacturing defects. My first had a severely crooked camera lens, and my new one has this.

Aaronc no está en línea Stack level 1

mrdeeno - I think you're right about the tab, it looks like it doesn't go up the whole way on my phone so it doesn't lock. It's definitely not the back cover. I tried 2 different back covers and same problem. I'm going to take the phone back tomorrow and exchange it. I don't want to try fixing it myself and screwing something up.
    Thanks for the help.

if you go to exchange it, ask them to open up the new one and try the button and look for the little black tab. The button should NOT feel "springy". Even comapre your old phone to the new one and look for the black tab.

without the black tab, the button will feel soft and spring. With the tab, the button will feel like it is barely moving and not springy at all, which is how my first phone (with the tab) felt.

dwc

Mine doesn't have a papery black "tab". Mine has a small hunk of black foam filling the space below the chrome catch.

dwc

Image attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images

man, that is a hunk of foam...

i should've taken a picture of my original phone.

not sure what the hell is up with these manufacturing problems. some phones have a black tab, some phones have nothing, and now you have a hunk of foam.

But at least you have something.

btw, there's no "made in xxx" sticker on your phone. Where is your phone made? both mine were made in mexico.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by atst2000
    I love the pearl but its very cheaply made :cry:
    on this. It is not cheaply made.

In fact, as I have fondled it over time , it being "cheaply made" has never come to mind. In fact, the opposite is true, when I hold it I like the feel of it, feels like a quality item to me.

But I agree that the battery door is pretty delicate. They could have come up with a better design that is more secure. As components go, I don't see anywhere else that the phone is, as you say, "very cheaply made." And I have had maybe 300 cell phones and other electronic devices to compare that to.

But the door, yeah, they dropped the ball on that. Not sure why since the Pearl took 3 years to design. Maybe they were too aggressive on wanting a small form factor and light weight.

Will be interesting to see how they fix it. Maybe a "Pearl II" with various fixes and hardware redesign.

Redesign is not atypical as these things go since many manufacturers tweak and refine devices over time, after we first run guinea pigs give the things a whirl.

And for sure, if too many complaints come in and phones are returned, they will be forced to fix the door.

Mine is not bad at all. Seems it's a luck of the draw as some people do report the "battery cover won't stay on" issue.

Most people put the phone in a case so it is not a problem, but I don't think that keeping it in a case should be the fix.

Just my 32 cents on this.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

OH NO.... YOUR PHONE SAYS "MADE IN MEXICO" :cry:

I will pray for you my son, this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    here is a picture of the tab i am talking about.

if you look and the space is just empty, then you are missing it. It won't look exactly like this because this is my DIY fix.

These phones seem to a lot of manufacturing defects. My first had a severely crooked camera lens, and my new one has this.

dwc

Mine is Canada-made.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast