Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, After syncing my address book, calendar etc. with Outlook my Pearl is using more ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

RonC no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Available memory on Pearl

Advertisement

Hi,

After syncing my address book, calendar etc. with Outlook my Pearl is using more than 80% of its built-in memory capacity. I also have a 1GB microSD card installed - is that memory available to applications such as the address book? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but if I go beyond 100% of the built-in memory capacity I guess I'm going to be stuck with a single memory card (if it takes the overflow) - since I need to have access to my complete calendar/address book at any time. I've heard that memory cards more than 1GB aren't currently supported, so I'm concerned that available memory might become an issue (I'm already taking up more than 50% of the card with MP3s).

Some clarification of how memory allocation works would be much appreciated.

Ron.

sarbin no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Available memory on Pearl

When was the last time you pulled your battery for 30 seconds (device reset)?
    Do that and recheck free memory and we can go from there.

And a followup...

If your device software version is .64 or higher, you can use 2gb microsd cards. 2gb is the current limit. But... the card doesn't not extend device memory, per se. You can't install applications to it. Stored email can't be directed to it. Etc. The real use of the card is to move vids, pics, mp3s and ringtones out of device memory.

All that said, there are other things you can do to free up device memory. Deleting the sample video and unneeded languages are easy ones.
    HTH

Question Re: Available memory on Pearl

I've done a reset a couple of times since the first sync (when it filled up 80%). If external memory isn't usable for built in applications then I'm concerned about running out. I've got just under 400 contacts - surely this isn't an unreasonable number. I'm pretty good about deleting Emails once I've downloaded them to my laptop, and the amount of calendar items is much smaller than the amount of contacts. I'm on Cingular - how do I delete additional languages?

Thanks,

Ron.

First... how much free file memory are you showing right now?

Right now its showing 19751224 free from a total of 65142784.

Ron.

that's just about right for just after a reset on a device that hasn't had any other module cleanup activities. if you haven't done so, there are some things you can delete to free additional memory. sample video and unneeded languages are pretty easy, for example.

you should have no issues with disappearing messages or logs, but you should monitor how memory decreases over the coming days. the pearl leaks memory and the only way to get it back is a reset.

it'll be interesting to see reports of whether the new tmo italy 4.2.1.66 os is better about this.

That memory total is after removing unused languages, video etc. After another reset I'm up to 19731872 - so what's the deal with this whole reset thing? Should I reset every day?
    Last edited by RonC; 03-16-2007 at 03:43 PM.

niknud no está en línea Stack level 2

RonC - Doesn't that show a descrease in memory after the deleted files?

Sorry, I mistyped that earlier post. The first two numbers should have been 11 rather than 19.

Ron.

so it's 11mb after a restart? do you have any third party apps installed?

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

I just got mine the other day and haven't changed added anything other than synching to outlook. I have over 1600 contacts and my memory shows 6,489,432 free. Where's all that memory going- the OS?

My 7290 is synched with the exact same info. 29,360,128 available, 17,932,464 free.

Anyone know what available memory is out of the box?

Maybe try this...
    Reset your pearl and then when it's back to the home screen, plug it in to your PC and open the Desktop Manager. Select the Backup and Restore icon. Then select the Advanced button. Let it read the device databases and populate the right-hand panel. Select everything in the right panel and press the left-facing arrow. When the left panel populates, look through the list for anything huge. I'm not sure the size in bytes relates completely to the size in device memory, but maybe it'll offer some clues?

I can't even imagine 400 contacts, let alone 1600. Maybe there is your memory hole?
    I dunno...

Thanks for persevering here Sarbin Following your instructions shows that the Phone Call Logs database has 379 entries (man, I've only had this thing for three weeks, I need to slow down...). The only thing that beats that is the Address Book with 388 entries. Clearing the call log (because it's not critical), and doing another reset (groan) leaves me with 19702868 free (not much change, and I downloaded a wallpaper earlier). The key seems to be that the address book is the main culprit - maybe the Pearl isn't oriented to business users after all...

Ron.

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

1600 sounds like a lot, but for a dektop PIM it's not really a lot. I'm sure the hardcore business guys that are BB's core customers have contact lists much, much larger.

But look at the difference between the 7290 and the pearl. If there was nothing else on the device it would appear that the same info is that taking up 17mb on the 7290 is taking 59mb on the Pearl! No way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast