Hi everybody, First of all I'm Spanish so my English won't be too much correct. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

prototype00 no está en línea Stack level 1

Are maps free? (Newbie)

Advertisement

Hi everybody,

First of all I'm Spanish so my English won't be too much correct. I've a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Smartphone from Vodafone, and I have no idea of communications apart from classical calls, SMS and MMS.

I've been reading some posts which discussed about Maps, Google Maps and BB Maps. As I've understood, all these application are free, aren't they? But my question is: the communication between my BlackBerry and these application is free or not? I think that they communicate over GPRS (or WAP, I don't really know), which is very expensive unless you have a special contract with your mobile company.

I know that these might be a stupid question, but I don't want to start using Maps, and then receive an astronomical bill.

I hope that somebody helps me with this matter.

Thanks.

P.S.: If I use a Bluetooth GPS receiver, do I have to pay something apart from the device?

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

Re: Are maps free? (Newbie)

The applications themselves are free, but they gather the mapping data from the internet which does charge a fee (a rather large one too,) unless you sign up for a data plan for your BlackBerry.

Bluetooth GPS receivers are not designed to gather mapping data for you, they simply tell you your position on the map. Which means that even with one, you would still have to pay for data usage when using either mapping application.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Those map applications themselves are free. However they need data to communicate with their main servers as they do not save the info on your BlackBerry. You can rack up a big bill using them if you do not have an unlimited data plan.

The only cost with a Bluetooth GPS receiver is the price of the receiver. I use a Global Sat with my Curve and with my Pearl when I was on it.

And you did a great job with your English.

Welcome to pinstack.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Prototype00, no question is stupid my friend-thats why we have a forum, to gain knowlege. Google maps is a free program but it does use a large amount of data. I would advise an unlimited data plan if you plan on using maps or your browser for the internet. A Bluetooth GPS reciever will still use your BB as its source of data, so you would still need an unlimited data plan. I hope this helps you and welcome to Pinstack~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Melissaox I might be wrong but wouldn't the GPS reciever still use data from the BB for mapping?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

prototype00 no está en línea Stack level 1

Ok, thank you a lot!!!

I'm a student, so an unlimited plan is a little bit far from my possibilites. Anyway, thank you all for your time!!! Now I know a little bit more, and that's the important thing.

GoodBBye!!!