I recently ran into a problem of my phone not 'releasing' memory similar to a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

xegesis no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Are hard resets the only option?

Advertisement

I recently ran into a problem of my phone not 'releasing' memory similar to a pc that is never shut off. My recent call list wouldn't keep more than 2 or 3 recent calls. I spoke to a pda rep at T Mobile, and after checking my status (my free memory was down to less than 1%) he told me to pull the battery out for a hard reset. It worked and my free memory went back up to 25mb as supposed to 1mb previously.

My concern is, do I need to periodically do a hard reset since turning the phone off isn't enough to free up memory? I close my programs as supposed to switching - is there something else I can do to prevent memory from being tied up?

If it helps, I'm using a TMO Pearl in the U.S., v 4.2.0.42

Thanks for helping a new pinstack and bb user out! This is a great site!!

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think its a good habit to keep (hard resetting), I myself do it once a day at least.

You can also hit alt+lg+lg from the home screen which brings up the event log then hit menu and select clear log.

Also erase any unused programs, and pictures from the phone.

xegesis no está en línea Stack level 1
    Didn't know about the event log, that's good info to have. I store all of my media to my card, except for ringtones and avatars.

I was afraid I needed to do a hard reset. It's such a pain since I have a seido cover on my phone, but I'll do what I have to keep my phone running at 100%.

Thanks again for your help.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    i also do a reset once a day. not only is it good for memory, but also puts you at the top of the network so your data speeds are much "faster" and more reliable, from what i understand.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b
    You can also set your BB to shut off at a certain time, it it very similar to a hard reset. I have mine shut off at 1am and turn back on at 8am.

tony597fittr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B9B8D
    Yes auto off/on is a nice feature. That way your not jumping out of bed to get your latest e-mail. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn Crackberries!!
    Blackberry 8100 Pearl
    PIN#:204B9B8D
    Yahoo Messenger ID:tony597fitter

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I must say I have NEVER had to do a hard reset on this phone yet... The 7100i, CONSTANLY... LOL

gmore70 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    I think its a good habit to keep (hard resetting), I myself do it once a day at least.

You can also hit alt+lg+lg from the home screen which brings up the event log then hit menu and select clear log.

Also erase any unused programs, and pictures from the phone.
    Hello all,
    I am a beginner and have the 8100 phone. this may be a dumb question but... what is the LG key? in regards to clearing the event log. Thank you in advance!

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5
    Quote Originally Posted by gmore70
    Hello all,
    I am a beginner and have the 8100 phone. this may be a dumb question but... what is the LG key? in regards to clearing the event log. Thank you in
    advance!

Welcome aboard!

There's no "LG" key. Instead, hold down alt and type "LGLG". This will bring up an event log application and you'll be able to clear your log.

diesel1218 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32CAA233
    Again there is always the wipe hand held feature under the general security settings but you will set your phone back to default and all your programs will be gone.
    Blackberry 8830 WORLD EDITION

Blackberry PIN - 32CAA233

MySpace http://www.myspace.com/andrews9

Gaillen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Having spent time with tech support today, i was told that removing the batter counts as a "soft" reset. Being as no matter what else you do, you can't really shut the phone off. This makes sense with the auto on/off feature being more like a sleep or hibernate mode. Haveing only had the phone a week or so I'll have to wait and see about the regularity of needed resets.

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Just curious, by deleting the entire log is there a risk of messing up something? Is Alt LGLG the only way to clear the log or will a hard reset do it?
    Also, if removing the battery constitutes a soft reset, what exactly is a hard reset, and what does it actually do?
    Sorry about the dumb questions. I just like to know the details.
    Lis

Mercury_UK no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204F990A
    I can see the need for doing a battery removal on occasions, my last one was to remove an Icon from the Home Screen of a deleted program.
    But, now here's a thought - why isn't there a reset button on the back like my old Treo 180g and Palm devices.
    Surely a reset this way would avoid any undue battery wear or having to remove a tight fitting case.
    (If this has been covered elsewhere please accept my apologies!)

ricwms no está en línea Stack level 2
    Rarely have I needed to "hard reset" removing the battery. If you're experiencing that, something else might be wrong.

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3
    I rarely do hard resets also because there aren't blatant visble problematic signs that I need to do it however when I actually DO a hard reset (or soft whatever, the battery pull trick) I find that programs run as they should. I noticed Google Talk sometimes shows a message that the other person is typing and also other messages I receive will show up underneath the chat box...sometimes it doesn't show that. After doing a battery pull it will come back again.