I picked up a BlackBerry Pearl from Cingular yesterday and I'm a little underwhelmed. The ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bderosa no está en línea Stack level 1

App Loader Error Message - WTF?

Advertisement

I picked up a BlackBerry Pearl from Cingular yesterday and I'm a little underwhelmed. The themes that come with the Cingular version are a joke (what's w/ the yellow text & clouds??). Anyway, I read in a few other posts that it was possible to unlock the other vendor themes. Seeming simple enough, I updated the .alx file - but when it came time to fire up Application Loader, I ran into an issue that I'm still having problems with.

After starting up App Loader (fully connected), I get to the screen where you should be able to add/delete applications, but instead of getting a list of the apps installed, I get the following message (grayed out).

"The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device
    Software for the device that you have connected to the computer"

When I installed the BlackBerry desktop software, all went smooth w/ no errors. I don't really know where to go from here.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Bobby
    Last edited by bderosa; 12-03-2006 at 06:23 PM.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: App Loader Error Message - WTF?

Have you installed any 8100 Handheld software on your PC? not Desktop Manager software.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello bderosa, welcome to pinstack. If you dont have the OS installed it wont show up in the app loader. You can try to add applications, and follow the location to where the alx is, and try to add it that way.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

bderosa, Welcome to PinStack.

Yes, the CD doesn't have the OS for the Pearl, and Cingular hasn't posted ti to the Download Web Site yet. You're either going to have to downgrade to an lower Ver no or wait until Cingular gets off their tails and provides it.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

bderosa no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for all replies guys. That's pretty lame that Cingular would package software in the box that is useless w/out drivers which they do not make available.

Well, Cingular's loss is T-Mobile's gain. After signing a 1yr contract and getting a supposed-deal on a new 8100 for $300, I returned the Pearl reversed my contract, which expired yesterday.

I'm now a T-Mobile client and got the 8100 for $50 from Amazon (which includes a $50 MI-R making the grand total $0)

I've heard rumors that T-Mobile leases Cingular equipment & towers so the reception should be just as good. Is this true? What about the data plan - does it use EDGE?

Thanks!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by bderosa

I've heard rumors that T-Mobile leases Cingular equipment & towers so the reception should be just as good. Is this true? What about the data plan - does it use EDGE?

Thanks!
    Yes...Data will be transmitted in EDGE coverage where applicable.

As far as TMO leasing Cingular, I am pretty sure that IS the case, however, it's going to depend on where you are.

Example...I have a friend who comes over to my house who is with Cingular. He gets a signal (although its only 1 bar) where as I bounce in and out of coverage.

I love TMobiles prices, but their coverage sucks. However, I won't be leaving them anytime soon...Such a love/hate relationship with them.