Hello fello Pearl owners. I have had a Blackberry pearl for over a year now ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

trancerz no está en línea Stack level 1

Aol IM

Advertisement

Hello fello Pearl owners. I have had a Blackberry pearl for over a year now and I love it. Recenty, I decided I wanted to start using AIM on it. However, I don't know whether I am paying for my messages or not. So far, I don't have any type of text or internet plans. If I download the AIM app and start using it, will it charge me of use for each text? Or how long I stay on AIM? What app should I use, since there are a few to choose from? Thanks in advance~

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Re: Aol IM

What carrier do you have? I have T Mobile and I know IMs are counted as SMS. I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) that all carriers will do the same. If you have a Data Plan and tried getting IM through your browser it will not count against your SMS. I don't know if it will work that way, I haven't tried it, but I know with a Data Plan any "data" your BB receives is covered in your plan... otherwise all IMs will count as SMS. If you're able to use MMS through your carrier you're charged for this too!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

If you're using the OZ IM Client then yes you are getting charged for SMS.

If you're using another client then it's data. Then you would need a data plan.

Ok thanks for the replies that cleared a few things up. I was roaming the internet and I heard rumors such as having to pay for each time you actually "log in" to aim. Is this true? Do I have to pay any other types of fees to use AIM on my blackberry? And yes, I use T-Mobile. I have no data plans so I use the OZ client. I am thinking of upgrading to the 1000 domestic messages for 9.99. Can I use AIM with that 1000 messages? Thank~

skario87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    personally I would go with the unlimited tmo message plan I mean its only $5 more ($14.99) and trust its gonna make a big diff (you will use a lot more aim messages than you think) and plus you can get any messages you want (sms, mms, or aim) and those five dollars are well spent (the fees would be outrageous if you happen to go over the 1000 messages and dont realize it, believe me I've been there its not pretty when you look at your bill but live and learn)

o and i would also go with a data plan (i currently do not have one but am getting one next month) its more expensive but worth it (this is my first berry and I quickly realize you cannot utilize it w/o a data plan, hands down)
    Last edited by reddog187; 09-29-2007 at 06:34 AM. Reason: repeat posting

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by trancerz
    Ok thanks for the replies that cleared a few things up. I was roaming the internet and I heard rumors such as having to pay for each time you actually "log in" to aim. Is this true? Do I have to pay any other types of fees to use AIM on my blackberry? And yes, I use T-Mobile. I have no data plans so I use the OZ client. I am thinking of upgrading to the 1000 domestic messages for 9.99. Can I use AIM with that 1000 messages? Thank~
    The only way you will be getting charged with the OZ client is if you go over your SMS allotment. It all depends on how much you chat. When I just use my IM client it's probably more than 1000 messages. Thank god it's all data though. So just keep track of your usage for a month or two then see which message bundle to go with.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

If I remember correctly, you don't just use a message when sending or receiving. Some messages are used to transmit AIM status too. All I know is that add up quick!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

If you decide to get a data plan, you may want to consider JiveTalk for an IM client. Yes, you do have to purchase the program, but its well worth the cost, IMO.

It uses Data, so you don't have to worry about going over your limit on SMS. In addition to that, it will use AIM, Yahoo, GoogleTalk, Jabber, and a couple of other IM platforms. So you can chat across multiple services simultaneously.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Ok now the 1000 is out of the question. I will go with the unlimited for five dollars more. I also know that there are several downloadable IM clients that are better than the OZ Client. Like it actually shows you your whole buddy list and such. My Blackberry doesn't have a data plan, but I am not sure if it is worth getting, since I don't really use the berry for internet, just text and call. What is a data plan exactly? What does it give you? What are the monthly fees that you guys pay for a data plan? Sorry guys, I am no crackberry addict...