Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, I have had the 8100 three days now and an issue has popped up. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Thumbs down Anyone know the problem with e-mail notification

Advertisement

OK, I have had the 8100 three days now and an issue has popped up.
    I CANNOT get the BB to send me an audio notification when new e-mail arrives.

I have tried all the different settings [in profile], wiped the BB and started all over again, and nothing works. Sound works for media files, alarm clock and phone ringing, just not the e-mail notifier.

I don't know if it's some software conflict in my settings or what. I started with a clean slate when I wiped the phone, so you would think that any conflicts would have been eliminated.

I made sure all the tones are NOT set to mute, that a tone has been selected, volume level set, etc. But only e-mail notification will not work.

Help.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Anyone know the problem with e-mail notification

Does the tone you've selected play when you go to Profiles/Show Tones, Select the Tone, and Select Play? Have you tried different tones?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Does the tone you've selected play when you go to Profiles/Show Tones, Select the Tone, and Select Play? Have you tried different tones?

Rcbjr.
    That sounds interesting [pun intended] I cannot find "Profiles" "Show Tones"

Where is that hidden? All I have is the speaker icon on the "desktop" and when I click it, it goes to the various sound options, such as mute, vibrate, etc. If I click "advanced" then I can set the various tones for each function.

I don't see any "Show Tones" selection. Is there some other "Profiles" besides the little speaker icon which does say "profiles" when I put the cursor over the icon.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Go to your profiles...Go down to advanced....when the list pops up, click your menu button, the one thats the bb symbol, then go to edit...

By default these things are sent out to not make any noise for notification.

Lemme know if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Go to your profiles...Go down to advanced....when the list pops up, click your menu button, the one thats the bb symbol, then go to edit...

By default these things are sent out to not make any noise for notification.

Lemme know if that helps.
    I did set all the sounds, the feature works the same as that for the 7100t. I tried the default tones and ones that I uploaded to the device.

Like I said, the tones I set work for phone ringing, calendar reminders, and alarm clock. So I know I am setting them right in the profiles submenu. It's just the e-mail notification that's not working.

By the way, I go into the various message notifications and set a tone to work, the tone plays when I am making the selection and I am saving the settings.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :cry:

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

When you go to the edit profile and you hit - shift the tones do pop up right?
    I know this is stupid but make sure you have no slash through the profile thing and the speaker is on!
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Sorry, Sounds Like the Pearl is totally different from all the other devices for Profiles.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

I figured out the problem

The BB interface creates individual mailboxes and icons on the "desktop" home screen. It also creates one main mailbox where e-mail from all individual accounts goes into.

So when you first set up the BB e-mail accounts, there are as many separate mailbox icons as the number of e-mail accounts one has, plus the main box.

I had three accounts [ATT, Yahoo, T-MO]. That plus the main box account meant I had four mailbox icons on my home screen.

While I had always been setting e-mail notification sounds for the main box, I had NOT set e-mail notifications for the individual accounts/icons.

T-MO or RIM by default mutes e-mail notification. So while I had set the general box for sounds to announce new e-mail, the individual accounts remained muted.

It appears that if one does not set the individual accounts to have an audible e-mail sound for when new mail arrives, that this setting "trumps" or supersedes the main box sound settings.

I had not set the individual accounts sounds because I had hid those icons when setting up my home page. [I just want to check one mailbox, not three or four]. So when setting the main box sounds I did not see that the individual accounts needed to be set because those icons were hidden.

After making the individual accounts visible, I went into those from the profiles setting page, unmuted the tones, and all works fine now.

Hope that makes sense.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

sanfrancisco, Thanks for the information. That explains the problem, but I think it is different from the other BIS 2.x implementations for devices using OS 4.1. Can you set individual tones for each account Filter Icon?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

mythmbhurts no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204D7C8C

Yes thats what his problem was! With the Pearl OS 4.2 you can choose different tones for each email account you have! I guess it pretty cool but a little more time consuming to set up. I have 5 different email accounts going to my blackberry that are all set to the same tone that way I know i have an email and have to check it. I would be good for seperating work and personal emails though or what ever you like!
    PIN:204D7C8C http://forums.delphiforums.com/Blackberrytalk
    AIM:Austinsnyc
    Yahoo:Whips_n_licks@yahoo.com
    "8100" 4.2.0.64

GeoffreyM no está en línea Stack level 1
    I apologize for having to ask this, but I've been beating myself up trying to "fix this problem" and cannot find where you configure each email address separately for these notifications. Would someone be so kind as to give a little more direction, please?

Thank you.

Geoffrey

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    GeoffreyM, Welcome to PinStack.

I would like to help, but I can't figure it out either. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer

GeoffreyM no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you for the greeting. After >10 years of using PDAs, this is my first BB and I really like it.

Geoffrey

corncobish1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    help! haha there are voices on the pearl that alert u?? how??my pearl??

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    That sounds interesting [pun intended] I cannot find "Profiles" "Show Tones"

Where is that hidden? All I have is the speaker icon on the "desktop" and when I click it, it goes to the various sound options, such as mute, vibrate, etc. If I click "advanced" then I can set the various tones for each function.

I don't see any "Show Tones" selection. Is there some other "Profiles" besides the little speaker icon which does say "profiles" when I put the cursor over the icon.

showtime775 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204BE542
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
    I apologize for having to ask this, but I've been beating myself up trying to "fix this problem" and cannot find where you configure each email address separately for these notifications. Would someone be so kind as to give a little more direction, please?

Thank you.

Geoffrey
    Go to: Profile->Advanced click on the profile you want to edit. You should see something like:

Browser
    Calendar
    IM System Message
    Level 1 Messages
    Messages[youremail@whoever.com]

You can change the notifications for all the items on this screen in the following way: Click on messages for the email or any of the other alerts you want to change notification for then you can edit the way it rings, alert tone, volume, number of beeps, etc.

Once you do it one time the rest will be easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast