Not sure how hard the 8100 case would be to open up ... but I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jahf no está en línea Stack level 2

Any chance of an alternate keyboard/mapping?

Advertisement

Not sure how hard the 8100 case would be to open up ... but I for one think the whole "qwerty keyboard on a 20 key keyboard" is beyond silly.

I would -love- to be able to replace the keys with an alternate "ab cd ef gh" logical layout and have an option in the software to remap to this setup.

Dvorak makes no more sense than Qwerty as both are based on having more keys.

I have no problem with the basic idea of the Suretype system, and I prefer it to the even smaller keys on similar devices. I just want something that lets me hunt and peck more logically. I touch type and have for 20+ years and have NEVER thought about where the keys are on a standardy QWERTY keyboard.

So don't take me as insulting the layout or tell me I should switch to the other style keyboard. This is -better- ... its just not -good-

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3
    No way to map alternate key locations that I am aware of. If you don't like the suretype devices I recommend that you get a QWERTY device instead.

like I tried to explain above, I like the Suretype device better than the Qwerty overall. Just was hoping for something better. No worries, maybe it will inspire someone.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    jahf, Welcome to PinStack.

If you are a touch typist, I don't understand the desire for a different layout. It would be much harder to change to your proposed layout, thant the qwerty suretype layout.

But as been said, you will have a difficult time changing the layout. I would imagine it would take quite a bit of development time with the Blackberry JDE and SUN SDK to create a different Keypress interpreter.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Ok, since people seem to reply with "I don't see why you would need this", I guess I'll explain it in detail, though it probably won't matter.

Touch typing is muscle memory. Muscle memory means multiple fingers. People who learn to type via hunt/peck are used to looking at the keys and remembering visually where the keys are. But when its been over a decade (and approaching 2) since needing to look at the keyboard to find keys, there is no reason to have a qwerty layout if you aren't using the same muscles to press the keys.

Since there is no built-up muscle memory for a thumb, it just makes more sense to look at the keyboard in an A-B order. My brain doesn't look at a keyboard and remember the QWERTY order, so when I look at the keyboard on the Pearl, I have to examine each key to know where it is. An ABC order lets me logically guess which key the letter will be on.

Its not a big deal, eventually I'll build a QWERTY memory for my thumbs. I had a decent thumb memory for a ABC / DEF layout for my old Nokia, so it shouldn't be all that hard. -but- the ABC/DEF layout -is- something that is ingrained from the beginning of using a telephone and so takes less time to develop the brain memory.

Just seems to me that there is no reason behind a 2-letter-per-key Qwerty layout except for people who type visually in daily life except for the "well, this is how people expect keyboards to be laid out". But the people most likely to want to switch to a Pearl are not the traditional BB users, at least not the retail buyers. There are going to be alot of people coming from a ABC/DEF layout.