This must be an often asked question, but I can't seem to find a clear ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pigman no está en línea Stack level 1

Any better options than Outlook for the desktop part?

Advertisement

This must be an often asked question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer in the existing threads. I turned in my Treo 650 for the BB Pearl 8130 mostly for the more stable OS. I like everything about the 8130 except I can't seem to find a good desktop companion for the contacts, calendar and to do lists. The Treo has Agendus which is quite good. I hate using Outlook because of all the security risks. My email is Thunderbird and I might add Lightning if I can't find the right one for the BB. I have used Lotus Organizer in the past and it is good, but I don't like going to a PIM that hasn't been upgraded in years. Has anyone had success with ACT? This one might be OK if it really syncs with the 8130. (I say that because I tried syncing to Lotus Organizer and had problems. One thread suggested a solution, but I haven't confirmed yet that it works).

Basically what I am looking for is the best desktop PIM that will sync with the 8130. I spend a lot of time at the desktop and so it is very useful to work the PIM in this environment. I also spend a great deal of time away from the desktop and that is where syncing to the 8130 becomes important. I really don't want to go back to the Treo since I like the smaller size of the 8130, but it is going to have to have a good desktop companion option.

Wordy I know, but thanks for any advice from those of you who have been down this path.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Any better options than Outlook for the desktop part?

I am also looking for the same thing.

BusyME no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C7A695

I wish the palm desktop worked with the BB. I understand why they don't have a separate desktop, but still. It be nice to have the option.

bbpearldean no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A3C466

I don't know what security risks with outlook. But I too from treo and dearly miss Agendus but pearl size is great. I use outlook with Agendus coniut for windows. No oroblem syncing.

Hope this helps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ddmaxx007 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24243e18

Here is some information provided from Hayden regaridng using Act!. Hope this helps:

Hope this helps:
    ACT!® stores all its information in a single database. Therefore, when synchronizing each BlackBerry device application, select the same database file.
    Note: The following instructions apply when ACT! is installed on the local hard drive with reference to a local copy of the database. However, ACT! might also be shared on a network, allowing multiple users to access the same database. When the database is shared, you must create filters to prevent receiving other users' information on the BlackBerry device. For help with creating filters to allow multiple users to synchronize with a shared database, see KB-01244.

Procedures

Configure a BlackBerry device application to synchronize with ACT!.
    1. Connect your BlackBerry device to your personal computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Enter your password if prompted.
    2. Double-click Intellisync or Synchronize, depending on the version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Configure PIM or select theConfiguration tab and click Configure Synch, depending on the version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    4. In the Handheld Configuration window, select the application you want to synchronize with ACT!. If you want to synchronize more than one application with ACT!, repeat steps 4 through 8 for each application.
    5. Click Choose.
    6. In the Choose Translator window, select ACT! from the Available Translators list.
    7. Click Browse to select the database. An ACT! database has the extension .dbf. The following are the default locations, though yours may differ:
      • For ACT! 4.0 and subsequent upgrades, the default location isC:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\Database
      • For ACT! 5.0, 6.0 or 2000 (if it was not installed over a previous version or to a user-defined location), if you are using Windows 2000 or XP the default location is C:\My Documents\ACT\Database. If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\ACT\Database
    8. Click OK to close the window.
    9. If you want to synchronize another BlackBerry device application with ACT!, repeat steps 4 through 8.

Additional Information

BlackBerry Desktop Manager versions 3.5 and 3.6 support synchronization of contacts, calendar, and tasks with ACT! 4.0.2 and ACT! 2000.
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.0 and later supports synchronization of contacts, calendar, and tasks with ACT! 6.0.
    Currently, Intellisync synchronization software does not support ACT! 2005.