I'm sick of messing with this crappy MobiPocket Reader. Between its instability and trying to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jason8888 no está en línea Stack level 3

Any alternatives to MobiPocket Reader?

Advertisement

I'm sick of messing with this crappy MobiPocket Reader. Between its instability and trying to use my Blackberry with a Mac and Parallels, I've lost all patience.

I have three Pearls in my family. Last night I was trying to install the MobiPocket 6.0 beta (with card support) on all three.

The first one (mine), worked fine. I installed it with no problem with Parallels and Desktop Manager. After I initially set it up, I was able to copy .PDB ebook files to the eBooks directory on my memory card, and Mobipocket Reader recognized them fine.

The second one (my son's), seemed to install fine, but it won't recognize the memory card. It just says there is no memory card, even though the built-in media software recognizes it. I tried copying ebooks to the Pearl with the desktop Mobipocket software. It would only copy once and then hang. After that, it would give me an error every time I tried to copy books. I finally deleted the app from the Pearl and reinstalled. Then I copied all of the ebooks in the Mobipocket desktop software (about 85). It got to about 50 books and stopped. That's where I gave up.

The third one (my daughter's) seemed to install fine, and I copied some books to the card. But Mobipocket crashes on launch.

This is stupid. All three phones have the latest firmware, and most of the same third-party software. There is no reason for all this sporadic instability.

I just want an ebook reader that works. The only thing I've found is Wattpad. It works, but you have to take the books they offer. You can't add your own.

Any ideas?

ssjason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243e1873

Re: Any alternatives to MobiPocket Reader?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You could see if www.getjar.com has anything better in the ebook choices

seafoam no está en línea Stack level 1

I've had a similar experience with it the desktop portion, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I notice the most problems when I'm trying to transfer lots of files. I've found that the following works for me:

1. copy your ebooks into mobipocket desktop
    2. locate the directory where it stores the converted eBooks
    3. directly copy to your memory card using the a memory card reader or the Blackberry media manager

Quote Originally Posted by seafoam
    I've had a similar experience with it the desktop portion, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I notice the most problems when I'm trying to transfer lots of files. I've found that the following works for me:

1. copy your ebooks into mobipocket desktop
    2. locate the directory where it stores the converted eBooks
    3. directly copy to your memory card using the a memory card reader or the Blackberry media manager
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not really looking to fix Mobipocket anymore. I'm sick of messing with Mobipocket's so-called management features. I just want to replace it with something that simply displays ebook files from the memory card. I don't even mind if it only works with one type of file, as long as a converter exists.

csmbb no está en línea Stack level 1

check out wattpad and dailylit

Quote Originally Posted by csmbb
    check out wattpad and dailylit
    I've been using Wattpad for awhile now. It's really good, but I want an app that allows me to add my own ebook files, rather than just choosing what they have available.

Thanks for the Dailylit suggestion, but again, it doesn't let me add my own ebook files.