Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This topic deals with the Alltell 8130 GPS Functionality . There appears to be a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

zjgolf44 no está en línea Stack level 1

Alltel 8130 Pearl GPS Challenges...

Advertisement

This topic deals with the Alltell 8130 GPS Functionality. There appears to be a lot of confusion as to whether Alltel's 8130 Pearl phone has its GPS locked or unlocked, or works like it should. I've done extensive research in multiple forums. I've also contacted Alltel 3 times, as well as TeleNav.

Personal Experience: When I received my Alltel 8130, I went to the options and turned the GPS 'On'. At that point I tried using Blackberry Maps and it would not 'find any satellites'. After reading some forums, others suggested to download TeleNav, which I did. At that point TeleNav and Blackberry Maps found the satellites. If I then un-install TeleNav, Blackberry maps stops working also. Google Maps also works when I have TeleMaps installed. With TeleNav installed, if I haven't rebooted for a while(pull battery), then any navigation software has a hard time finding my GPS or the satellites. If I reboot, then usually the software easily finds the satellites. When talking to Alltel I received very uninformed answers as to what to do. One guy started browsing the forums for answers while I was on the phone. Most the time they told me they believed I needed to install TeleNav cause that is what they had to do with the 8830 phones. (side note: there is an Alltel FAQ on this, just telling you to turn the GPS on and then it should work) When contacting TeleNav (because they don't have a specific Alltel 8130 link), they weren't aware either, but did give me a specific link. (ota . telenav . com / ota / al /)

Co-Worker Experience: Someone who bought the phone the same day as me from the same store, had a little different experience. He said he sat in the middle of large parking lot where they had EVDO connection. (I just had 1X) Without installing TeleNav on his phone, after 10 MINUTES, Blackberry Maps picked up the satellite information. He then drove around and it was accurate. He hasn't tried it again.

Other Forum Users: Others have mentioned talking to Alltel as well and installing TeleNav and having things then work for them. I don't recall anyone else saying that it just worked right out of the box yet.

Conclusion: It would be good to have some others weigh in on this issue that have an 8130 Alltel phone. It seems that somehow Alltel, TeleNav, or Blackberry themselves have something locked down on this phone. But it also appears that Alltel and others are quite unaware of what to do. It also appears there may be some bugs with Blackberry's GPS or OS as things work better after a reboot happens. Additionally the nav software out probably isn't very "8130 Internal GPS aware", and needs further tweaking / updates.

Questions:
    1. Do you have an Alltel 8130 phone?
    2. Have you turned on your GPS and tried BlackBerry maps right 'out of the box'?
    3. Have you installed TeleNav to fix your problems?
    4. Is your GPS signal consistent? Satallite connection consistant?
    5. Do you have to reboot to improve its GPS performance?
    6. Have you had any contact with Alltel, Blackberry, or TeleNav on this?
    7. Are you a Blackberry engineer and are you willing to give me your phone number? ;-)

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

Re: Alltel 8130 Pearl GPS Challenges...

I'm so glad you posted this as I was messing around with mine the other day thinking the GPS antenna was very weak. I have gotten a 3rd party app to work- mapquest- but its hard to keep a lock. In speaking with an AllTel person on a different subject yesturday they did say something about a lock on the GPS. At the time I paid it no mind. BB maps always works for me with maybe a minute to get the satellites but if I switch to mapquest it usually loses the signal. I also have a puck and when I use it I get mapquest working within like 10 seconds. I was beginning to wonder if I had to point the BB or hold it some different way.telnav is nice but mapquest is a lot cheaper. I can't justify $10 a month for something I use once or twice. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by armus View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this as I was messing around with mine the other day thinking the GPS antenna was very weak. I have gotten a 3rd party app to work- mapquest- but its hard to keep a lock. In speaking with an AllTel person on a different subject yesturday they did say something about a lock on the GPS. At the time I paid it no mind. BB maps always works for me with maybe a minute to get the satellites but if I switch to mapquest it usually loses the signal. I also have a puck and when I use it I get mapquest working within like 10 seconds. I was beginning to wonder if I had to point the BB or hold it some different way.telnav is nice but mapquest is a lot cheaper. I can't justify $10 a month for something I use once or twice. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Interesting - So you got MapQuest to work without installing TeleNav at all then, correct? Additionally your saying that BB Maps always works for you (minus the minute to lock) without having TeleNav installed on your BB as well, correct? Also, did BB Maps work at all for you until you installed MapQuest? If true, both of these instances would be opposite from what I've been told by Alltel; that you need to have TeleNav installed to get around the "lock".
    Last edited by zjgolf44; 01-03-2008 at 01:19 PM.

One other note - I did some testing last night around town. By the way I live in a small community that only has 1X towers... we don't get EVDO. What I discovered is there appears to be a very intersting link to the fact of how the GPS itself may be coupled with the need to have a wireless connection. For example, I opened up the mapping programs and sat still in a parking lot. I opened up their 'current location' tools and waited till the map drew out the area and the data connection download was complete. I then disabled my wireless data connection an immediately noticed back in the programs that they went to searching for satellite mode. Now of course this could be becuase the 3 programs I have are wireless intense (BB Maps, Google, and MapQuest). But even considering that, it seems BB Maps is the least data intense, and it immediately seemed to search for Satellites when the wireless network was gone. The other thing I noticed is that if I'm in a weaker 1X area... that all the programs have a real hard time locking onto GPS. Its almost seems like if the programs are having having a hard time keeping in touch with some connection, that it almost doesn't have enough energy left over to lock onto the GPS unit. You would think the opposite was true, where it would first lock onto the GPS, and then go get the information off of the wireless network it needed.

Something to consider... Could there be a link as to what wireless data carrier's tower you are going throught at the time? So much so that it effects on whehter your GPS acts locked or not?

PIN/ID
    31833E7E

There is a link between the connection and the GPS. The 8130 has a-GPS meaning assited. I don't know how but it pulls days off the net to help it connect. And yes, I have never installed telnav and BB maps worked right out of the box. Mapquest I installed later and works though is had to connect. I believe the 8130 antenna is too weak or something to pick up anything but a clear strong signal. The puck helps a lot but sucks being a seperate device and Bluetooth sometimes fails to connect to it.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Today I noticed the following. I turned on the GPS as I had it turned off. Pulled up Google Maps, and it couldn't find any satellites for 5 or so minutes. Pulled up Blackberry maps, the same thing. Then pulled up TeleNav and it found the satellites within 15 seconds. Then repulled up Google and BBMaps and they also worked. Something very tricky happening with TeleNav... or at the least its knows how to better utilize the type of GPS inside the phone compared to the other two.

I'm don't think the 8130 is only an A-GPS. From what I read it has both an A-GPS and standard GPS unit inside, like the 8830. Supposadly the standard one is unlocked for Alltel. (unlike Verizon) But you could be onto something here.
    Last edited by zjgolf44; 01-03-2008 at 10:37 PM.

PIN/ID
    31833E7E

Did some testing today while driving around semi-lost in the big city. Gave up on the handheld's GPS antenna and tried the puck. It worked but lost the satellite signal every 20 seconds or so. Was very annoying. I'm going to load BB maps and try it, maybe talk to AllTel but I don't expect much from them.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I put a post on TeleNav to see if one of their support folks would answer. They gave me the following answer in regards to a GPS question I had. Unfortunately they didn't give me any straight forward answer on if TeleNav has the ability to 'unlock' Alltel phones better than the average software.

TeleNav Support: The Blackberry 8130's hardware uses A-GPS to get its readings. Keep in mind that all a GPS receiver or AGPS service does is get location coordinates. TeleNav GPS Navigator is a software application that uses those readings to give driving directions.

PIN/ID
    31833E7E

that means absolutely nada. But tell me this, do you get in general better gps locking under telnav? I posted in another link asking for help canceling my MQ service. I put in an address today in a town and MQ couldnt find it. I mean, my God, it's not a new address. The school has been there for 12 years but MQ didn't have it. Google did and worked fine to get me there. I also liked Google's realtime location updates while MQ and Telnav's "where am I" feature only point your location at that time and don't follow you around.

I definately get better locking with TeleNav. If I pull up Google or BBMaps first, and they don't lock, I'll then pull up Telenav's compass till it sees the GPS, close, and then Google and BBMaps will work fine. Somehow TeleNav just seems to kick start the GPS connection.

Interesting - I did a WIPE on my blackberry yesterday to get some calendar issues resolved. In doing so it forced some of the application to return to thier original settings. Today when I was driving around I decided to pull up BBMaps. BBMaps couldn't get a lock on the satellites. I then pulled up TeleNav and it went through its origninal initiation process which asked for my pin and registered online again. When it finally got up it was seeing the GPS just fine. Then I closed that and pulled BBMaps up again and BBMaps got an immediate lock on the satellites as well.

There's something definately related to my phone and TeleNav... and I'm starting to wonder if all Alltel BB 8130 phones are the same.

leob no está en línea BES Pro

I have received confirmation from Alltel that they do block GPS if you do not have the TeleNav app loaded & active.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Intersting since I have Alltel, never use telenav, and use the BB maps for GPS tracking, directions, and locating various local businesses quite frequently!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Its almost like some 8130 phones work differently than others. - OR - It seems like it could depend on what network your connected to. (i.e. Alltel's or someone they partner with) ??

leob no está en línea BES Pro

It's most likely that this varies in different geographical markets of Alltel. My confirmation came from an Alltel Data Technician here in Northern MI. It would be interesting to know where Alltel subscribers do have GPS working in comparison to those who do not. Azstar - since GPS is working for you where are you located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast