Yes, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel, however I don't see an answer to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

RevZempoe no está en línea Stack level 2

AIM question

Advertisement

Yes, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel, however I don't see an answer to my question. I have unlimited txt messaging through tmo and just recently picked up the blackberry pearl. Is there an AIM client that will operate through the text messaging rather than me having to pay 20/month for the unlimited internet access? I'm not that saavy with the phone as of yet, but I downloaded Ramble to realize it uses data xfer rather than sms. I don't have a necessity for the internet other than AIM use...perhaps IRC use. Any suggestions?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: AIM question

I dont have TMO or the Pearl, but I understand the TMO BB's come with a preinstalled OZ application? Also, that im application uses text messaging. Correct me if Im wrong...

RevZempoe no está en línea Stack level 2

From what I understand/read OZ still uses data to connect and download buddy lists. I'm trying to avoid that but it appears there is no way...

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Call Tmo and ask, my understanding was OZ is SMS based. Call Tmo and ask. You can also have AOL IM forward your IMs to your BB via SMS.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

Nope, you need BOTH data and SMS to make it work. OZ client won't even appear unless you have data installed, and on top of that it uses SMS. That's why is sucks. I always thought the OZ client would be the most stable one of all (I have unlimited SMS as well) but it appeared to be the least stable. I've been using IM+ since.
    I like that idea of just forwarding IM's to your phone, but it's a little slow. Google: Mobile AIM if you're interested in that option.

Edit: Err...you need JUST data plan to make it work but you know what I meant. =P

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Yea Rev you need to go get the Data plan to use OZ. Plus when you realize all the pearl can do your really going to want to get on the internet via the pearl. I played with it this weekend at a t mobile store.... It is a really cool device......
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803

Yea I have verified what everyone is saying. Data plan is required to chat whether you use OZ or other apps like IM+ and Ramble. OZ you eats up ur texts though. I have noticed that the AIM forwarding works well. I tried it and it counts as texts. All you need to do is have ppl that you chat with frequently IM you once initially and then you save the number that your phone says for their screen name and then you can IM them any time. You just cant see if they are on or not. Its mostly better when people initialize the conversationto you and then you reply. Anyways hope this clears it up!

djmack no está en línea Stack level 2

Oz sucks.it doesn't even display all your buddies.and I dont like ramble because its constantly disconnecting if you make phone calls etc yak on always reconnects and is my personal favorite

RevZempoe1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for the help guys. Guess I'm just gonna sign up for the 20/month data connection and do everything from my phone since it's pretty easy to type on it .

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ good call. Once you start getting into it you'll realize how much it is worth it. Comes in real handy if you take your laptop on the go.