I'm dying at work w.o AIM.... has anyone had success with downloading any apps for ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

MrsKL no está en línea Stack level 2

AIM on the Pearl?

Advertisement

I'm dying at work w.o AIM.... has anyone had success with downloading any apps for the pearl?
    245869B3
    AT&T Curve Since 3/2008
    AT&T Pearl (for a year)
    Sprint 8830 (for a year)

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Re: AIM on the Pearl?

what problem are you having? there are quite a few programs with OTA links that will allow you to use aim via pearl. JiveTalk, Ramble, Yak-On, etc. some require that you pay, some are free and others require you to email for link.

My problem is that my company blocks access to any site that has anything to do with AOL or AIM. :-)

I just don't know where to start with finding a reliable app (before my pearl I only had a corp blackberrry that no downloads could get through). I went to beejive.com and it said it was only accepting beta users.. maybe I'll see if i can get in on that.
    245869B3
    AT&T Curve Since 3/2008
    AT&T Pearl (for a year)
    Sprint 8830 (for a year)

PIN/ID
    spam=no

ah, well before I can help if you could just clarify a quick thing, are you on bis or bes? and if bes, is the bb being blocked from the aim related sites and are they also blocking port 80?

BIS. (on the device I'm trying to use now)

(Just to clarify it's the computer that's blocked from AIM, my work blackberry is blocked from all downloads)
    245869B3
    AT&T Curve Since 3/2008
    AT&T Pearl (for a year)
    Sprint 8830 (for a year)

PIN/ID
    spam=no

ah, good. if it were BES block on the 3rd party apps I was going to say there's no way around it and you shouldn't try.

for BIS, since your computer is blocked, you can use an OTA link to download a chat program directly onto your BB. I'd suggest JiveTalk. The link is to the beejive website where you can message the creators to request a copy. it's currently a closed beta so you will need to request to join.

another option is ramble. it's free and uses data. they have a link on the page for OTA downloads, that way you won't need to the computer to install. it's not as good as jivetalk, but it is free and doesn't require you to request a copy, you can just download.

There is also Yak-On. It has a 15 day free trial, after that it is $20 to purchase it. I have never used it since at the time I couldn't get it work. I've heard that it's pretty good though, but can't share from 1st hand experience.

All 3 I listed above have OTA ability.

Thank you so much. I'm an ace at the BES stuff, but that's pretty straight forward since 90% of a blackberry's functionality is disabled (I work for an Annuity company and we are heavily regulated). The BIS and ability to download cool stuff is all new to me!
    245869B3
    AT&T Curve Since 3/2008
    AT&T Pearl (for a year)
    Sprint 8830 (for a year)

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKL
    Thank you so much. I'm an ace at the BES stuff, but that's pretty straight forward since 90% of a blackberry's functionality is disabled (I work for an Annuity company and we are heavily regulated). The BIS and ability to download cool stuff is all new to me!
    haha, that's funny cuz its visa versa for me. I just recently started getting into my company's bes stuff since I got them to switch from nextel to cingular. I sent an invite to your listed PIN addy. i'm sure we could share useful stuff related to the other's field of expertise. =0)