Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone tried the AIM txt forwarding thru sms ? I am trying it and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb AIM IM forwarding you dont need OZ or Ramble.

Advertisement

Has anyone tried the AIM txt forwarding thru sms ? I am trying it and it works well as long as your on an unlimited txt plan, dont mind plain txt and wont miss a fancy GUI.

You get your AIM IM's and sign on notifications sent to your phone as normal txt messages. It also good as you dont have to use up any of your memory or CPU processing power by running an IM program. You can also do this with Yahoo IM's

If you go http://mobile1.aol.com/mobileaim/forwardims

It takes some getting used to as your probably used to a fancy colorful AIM IMer like OZ or Ramble. This you just get plain sms texts.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: AIM IM forwarding you dont need OZ or Ramble.

RK, I have also used this through AIM and it works pretty well!

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba

If you have the UNLIMITED TEXT plan then why not just use what is given? (TMO's Messangers)

The reason people use ramble if so they dont get charged for every message as a "text" message.

I am a little lost on the reasoning on this one :\

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Rkkeller, excellent info! I have unlimited text messaging but I have Yahoo, Ramble and MSN messengers running in the background on my BB! I have setup messages via sms for AOL now I found that MSN messenger allows you to have messages sent to cell phone as well. That's 2 less messengers I have to have running in the background, without dishing out money for a multiple messenger application. Thanks a lot, will be checking to see if yahoo has this feature as well! Might as well get my monies worth on this unlimited SMS!

ff0000z no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ~BLACK ICE~
    If you have the UNLIMITED TEXT plan then why not just use what is given? (TMO's Messangers)

The reason people use ramble if so they dont get charged for every message as a "text" message.

I am a little lost on the reasoning on this one :\
    even though the TMO OZ client would be cool under an UNLIMITED TEXT package... the reality is that the OZ app very unstable at times. the dreaded "Network send failed" is far too common. at least when i use it. even when the signal is strong. i also find the buddy status updates aren't that accurate and the response times during message exchanges are often slow.

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba

Quote Originally Posted by ff0000z
    even though the TMO OZ client would be cool under an UNLIMITED TEXT package... the reality is that the OZ app very unstable at times. the dreaded "Network send failed" is far too common. at least when i use it. even when the signal is strong. i also find the buddy status updates aren't that accurate and the response times during message exchanges are often slow.
    Now I got it, I read it too fast the first time. I have not had any problems with it yet ( KNOCK ON WOOD!).

SuicideUZI no está en línea Stack level 2

You can also sign on a completely different name thru txt messages rather than having the one you use on PC set to forward. I prefer to leave an away msg on my PC and just have a seperate name signed on my phone.

If you have T-Mobile all you have to do is send a txt message to 4646 and in the message it should have: "username password" without the quotes.

It will sign that name on your phone and assign people in your buddy list a certain number, like the first person on your buddy list would be 4601, 2nd would be 4602 and so on, and there are other commands you can send such as 4650 will reply back with who is signed on and off. It is all done thru txt messages so it wont use any of your phones resources by leaving a program running.

edit: this is for AIM btw

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

I have found that this used in combination with another chat program works well. Currently I have AIM fowarding to my phone, and sign on IM+ to answer or bored and have a conversation.

For some reason AIM doesn't recognize when you've signed on the OZ, so when you try to reply back to someone in OZ you are able to but anytime a buddy is sending you messages it still is fowarded to your text box rather than the actual chat program so another minus point for OZ.

AIM recognizes when I've signed on IM+ and I can continue my conversation there without using too much texts and cuts down the lag due to the text messaging. When you sign off IM+, you're still signed onto AIM with a little mobile phone next to your name and it automatically "turns on" IM fowarding when it knows you've logged off.

It's great, keeps me connected and saves battery so I don't have a chat program constantly running in the background.

I just wanted to add that switching to plain txt is not for everyone as it takes some getting used to and you lose the graphics and GUI. You can free up space and resources this way though. My Pearl has gotten much faster since I stopped running the IM programs.

A couple hints for people that want to try it. SAVE your sign on and update buddies messages. Then you can just resend them from your Saved Messages folder instead of having to remember the codes and redoing it all the time. This makes it much easier than having to remember. Also ADD the user shortcut codes as a phone number to the people in your address book. Then when you receive a IM/txt their name shows instead of a bunch of numbers 76312.

The AIM forwarding works way better than OZ or Ramble and the sign on notifications are real time. The only downside I found so far is you dont get sign OFF notifications only sign on ones. I guess this is fine as when someone signs on is what you really need. The good is it free resources.

I am still getting used to it but since switching over AIM and Yahoo and not having to run OZ/Ramble and RIM Yahoo my battery life has almost DOUBLED. Have others noticed this ? I always 100% had to charge my Pearl every single night until the other day when I stopped running the IM programs and switched to txt only. My battery is about 75% this morning and I bet I can make 2 or maybe 3 days and the only thing I am doing differently is not using the IM programs.

Quote Originally Posted by msbrenda64
    That's 2 less messengers I have to have running in the background,

The same with me. I bet you will see much longer battery life and your Pearl will also run a little faster.

My Pearl started slowing down a lot since I got it and I was trying to figure out why. Then I looked at what I had running and most were IM programs. That gave me the idea to look around and see options. It was either $50 for IM+ but that would still use space and resources or switch to FREE txt forwarding that uses nothing except when an actual txt is received.

I really think it depends on what type of IM'er if you are. Continuing long conversations through text messages with multiple people can be quite annoying in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by absolved
    Continuing long conversations through text messages with multiple people can be quite annoying in my opinion.

It does thread the messages. You just go to the newest message received and scroll down to see the history if you need to. I dont do a lot of multiple people texting, 99% its 1 on 1.

It seems you just use the forwarding as a sign on notification and when your notified you start an IM program. I dont want to have to run any IM programs and this works great. My goal is to delete every IM program I can to free up memory.

I see.
    I meant to take back the annoying thing, it's only annoying because some people who are chatting with you don't understand the foward IM thing. SO they type like:

Haha
    lol
    oh yeah
    I forgot to tell you
    Soandso said this
    and you know what else?
    I hate bread

That's 7 text messages, and sometimes the 3rd message comes after the 5th and so on. =\ When you start to have these with even two people it starts to be *ARRRRGHH!!*

Never noticed anything like that yet and its been working no different than when I used OZ or Ramble for me.

If I fall behind in the conversation, I just skip the older unread txts and jump to the newest txt received and scroll down real quick to catch up on anything I missed.

Like I said above its not for everyone and if someone is a big IMer used to a GUI, which you seem to be, this might not be for you.

eve
    eve no está en línea Stack level 2

So, how does this work? Do you have to be signed onto AIM through PC and any messages you recieve are "forwarded" to your cell via SMS? Or do you not have to be signed onto AIM through a PC? I'm losing where you sign in at, since it's not a program only texts.

Also, have you guys actually downloaded the AIM program for smartphones?:
    http://mobile1.aol.com/smartphone_pda/aimsoftware
    If any of you have, is it just like OZ? I'm sure it uses SMS, but how is the connectivity, etc.?
    Haven't found any information on it, just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast