Ok, so just a few seconds ago at work I noticed that my pearls screen ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

matt0810 no está en línea Stack level 2

Ahhh Help! Red light of death ?

Advertisement

Ok, so just a few seconds ago at work I noticed that my pearls screen wouldnt turn on, and the message light was flashing really slowly. I did a hard restart and it went through the whole hour glass thing for awhile before tmobile came up, then went straight back to the whole screen off flashing red light. How do I fix this, I feel naked without my phone haha. Also when I plugged it into my computer to see if it was just dead, the camera flash came on and stayed on for a good second. Really weird... Suggestions please?

valentinoracing no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Ahhh Help! Red light of death ?

try leaving the battery out for a few minutes than re-inserting it...this is the best advice i can think of, seeings it has worked with ANY of my other phones i experienced goofy problems such as yours.

alright you may be a genius... I did what you said and after a few minutes it went to its normal screen. I noticed the battery was low, so it is charging through my computer right now. However none of the buttons are working? The only way i can get the screen on is to unplug it from my comp. ah? this is so weird.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

It sounds like you let the battery drop all the way to zero with the phone on. IIRC this is still not a great idea with BBs.

Leave the phone off for a while and let it recharge.

If you are still getting the issue, an OS reinstall may be in the works for you.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

valentinoracing no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    It sounds like you let the battery drop all the way to zero with the phone on. IIRC this is still not a great idea with BBs.

Leave the phone off for a while and let it recharge.

If you are still getting the issue, an OS reinstall may be in the works for you.

i second that...goodluck

hmm i was afraid of the os reinstall... oh and I cant turn it off, the button doesnt work haha. ok well I will let it charge some more then do another hard restart and see if that doesnt fix it. If not I guess I will try an os reinstall. I will keep yall updated.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

could it be an application freezing the BB? I had that problem in the beginning when I where stupid with bluetooth..
    Ended up having to pull the battery.

Later on I had the same problem with Opera, but thats was my own stupid fault, installed opera 4, then uninstalled and installed 3. Was pretty much my own stupidity that created those problems.. he he

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by matt0810 View Post
    hmm i was afraid of the os reinstall... oh and I cant turn it off, the button doesnt work haha. ok well I will let it charge some more then do another hard restart and see if that doesnt fix it. If not I guess I will try an os reinstall. I will keep yall updated.
    Don't be afraid of an OS reinstall. Its actually a pretty basic thing to learn to do with your BB. Plus you may decide that its so easy you will try other OS platforms from other wireless carriers. Then you'll really be an addicted stacker.

There are some walkthrough threads in the 81xx forum and the "How To" forum that can guide you through the process.

And if you still get stuck, you're only a Thread Post away from getting back on track.

The key is patience. OS reloads take time, and there will be moments (at least the first couple of times you do it) that you'll be convinced nothing is happening and you've screwed up your phone. Relax, have a homebrew, and let it do its magic and your phone will return to life before you know it.

My experience has been its pretty hard to totally brick up a BB OS with normal usage. You really have to know what you're doing to screw it up so badly the phone never works again.

If yours is truly dead after all this, its a hardware failure of some sort, and you're only a warranty swap away.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

KEMATAY no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0810 View Post
    Ok, so just a few seconds ago at work I noticed that my pearls screen wouldnt turn on, and the message light was flashing really slowly. I did a hard restart and it went through the whole hour glass thing for awhile before tmobile came up, then went straight back to the whole screen off flashing red light. How do I fix this, I feel naked without my phone haha. Also when I plugged it into my computer to see if it was just dead, the camera flash came on and stayed on for a good second. Really weird... Suggestions please?
    - I have had that problem before I went to the tmobile store and they advised me that the usb charger does not power ther battery enough when it drops so low.So when I went home I charged my bb with the wall charger and boom 100 percent all over again.I Love my bberry it rocks. Good luck

Well all I have is the usb charger, cant seem to find the other one. But I just finished the first reinstall and its not that good. The screen will turn on about half the time when I press the green call button. But everything else still isnt working. I guess I should let it charge all the way up, then hard restart, then maybe another os reinstall???

Haha Success!!! After a full battery charge and the second reinstall of the OS. Its back and running. Actually better than before, my track ball is clicking again!! haha. thanks guys for your advice and patience. Now time to restore and go redownload all my old applications...

Sneaksnoise no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for posting this, guys. It gave me hope that my 7290, which seemed kaput, would work again. Mine didn't even have all the signs of life that Matt's did. In fact, I was sure it was fried. But it eventually came back, following an OS reinstall and a fair bit of fussing.

That said, I think the phone really just wanted me to leave it alone. That seemed to have the most positive effect on it.