Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Before switching to Blackberry Pearl, I was using a PocketPC. It's address book had fields ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

riteshjain no está en línea Stack level 1

Address Book - No fields for BirthDay, Anniversary etc.

Advertisement

Before switching to Blackberry Pearl, I was using a PocketPC. It's address book had fields for Birthday, Anniversary etc. and it would sync with my Outlook Contacts. I relied on it for all the Birthday reminders.

I couldn't find these fields in the Blackberry Pearl. I tried mapping these fields from Outlook to User-Defined fields on Pearl but it didn't let me. Does anyone know of any way to sync these fields from Outlook Contacts to Pearl's Address Book?

Thanks in advance.

jailbaitryan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E3AA4A
    Nope...
    I just put it under notes...
    Hahahaha! Yeah, sorry I can't be of more help!

afig0101 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My BB is syncronized with outlook and I can only get birthday reminders on my BB calendar but can not see the birthday date on the contact profile.

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3
    Is there a program out that can save anniversary's and birthdays etc?

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    very easily solved....

go to the address book and select a contact.

Then click the menu button and select edit.
    Go to "User#" field that is empty, click the menu button again.

select "Change Field Name" and enter "DOB" or "Birthday" or whatever.

If you choose "User1" to change, it will change "User1" for all contacts so you only have to do it once. And you can sync the field to a custom field in the outlook address book. Don't remember how and I'm not at work so can't tell you right now, but I have it sync'd.

jailbaitryan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E3AA4A
    OHH!! Clever! I never thought of that!!
    Hahahaha!

lazer1985 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204c8fa8
    nice mrdeeno . will definately have to try

riteshjain no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ok, I have found the reason why you can't sync the Birthday field in Outlook with a User Field on Pearl. The Birthday field is of type Date/Time whereas the User fields are of type text.

So, I created a new text field in Outlook by the name Date Of Birth (or you could rename a User Defined field as suggested by mrdeeno). This new field can be synced with your Address Book in Pearl because it's a simple text field.

But then, how do you map the existing Birthday field in Outlook to this new text field? I don't want to re-enter all the data. And again, if there is a way to somehow map this, or let's say I did re-enter all the data, I still won't get reminders for Birthdays on my Pearl because it's a text field. So, all this exercise seems futile to me. Unless we can create a Date/Time type field on the Pearl, I believe there is no solution to this problem. Agree?

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3
    i don't think there is a solution to set up automatic reminders.

what i did was i just put in birthdays of important people in the calendar and set up for yearly reoccurance.

Re: Address Book - No fields for BirthDay, Anniversary etc.

Quote Originally Posted by riteshjain
    Ok, I have found the reason why you can't sync the Birthday field in Outlook with a User Field on Pearl. The Birthday field is of type Date/Time whereas the User fields are of type text.

So, I created a new text field in Outlook by the name Date Of Birth (or you could rename a User Defined field as suggested by mrdeeno). This new field can be synced with your Address Book in Pearl because it's a simple text field.

But then, how do you map the existing Birthday field in Outlook to this new text field? I don't want to re-enter all the data. And again, if there is a way to somehow map this, or let's say I did re-enter all the data, I still won't get reminders for Birthdays on my Pearl because it's a text field. So, all this exercise seems futile to me. Unless we can create a Date/Time type field on the Pearl, I believe there is no solution to this problem. Agree?
    I have tried to rename the user defined field to DOB and AIM sn, but I can't seem to sync it with outlook. I tried it the other way around and created a new text field under the "all fields" tab (user defined fields in this item) in outlook even it doesn't show up on my BB? How do I get it so that it will sync together?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Have you tried using the Mapping option under the Advanced feature of Configure Sync for you Contacts? Not sure if you can map a date field to a text field though.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

The mapping thing doesn't *quite* work, but I found a post on Blackberryforums.com and they have a semi-complicated blog about creating a new contact sheet. However it appears that it only applies to new contacts and not old ones? =(

http://the-trusted-adviser.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2880A69A9408F8CC!158.entry?_c11_blogpart_blogp art=blogview&_c=blogpart#permalink
    Last edited by reddog187; 11-17-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Ideasmiths no está en línea Stack level 1

[quote=absolved]The mapping thing doesn't *quite* work, but I found a post on Blackberryforums.com and they have a semi-complicated blog about creating a new contact sheet. However it appears that it only applies to new contacts and not old ones? =(
    quote]

I have updated my semi-complicated post to a more complicated post . The step by step instruction is at my at tinyurl.com/2g4dsr

(hmm I'm not level 2, so i can't post url, you guys need to copy and paste the link to a new web window)

The new blog version will
    a) Modify a contact form to automatically copy birthday to User2, converting date format to text format during the copying
    b) Show you how to map the synchronisation
    c) show you how to convert existing contacts (using the built in outlook contact form) to the new form
    Last edited by Ideasmiths; 07-17-2007 at 11:59 AM.

dgy2k1 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    very easily solved....

If you choose "User1" to change, it will change "User1" for all contacts so you only have to do it once. And you can sync the field to a custom field in the outlook address book. Don't remember how and I'm not at work so can't tell you right now, but I have it sync'd.
    Great idea. Thank you!

prabu001 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    very easily solved....

i have tried as u said ,but this dosent worked for me.still i need to sync DOBirth help.since i having 7 contacts nos in one and some web address and othe info like DOB and off &res address.outlook cant sync all my info in 1 file.so i used my palm s/w to sync.and this sync well all my contacts except the fields like main,DObirth.i need to sync 150 DOB to my contacts.else i will be loosing all my DOB.helppp.
    Last edited by prabu001; 07-18-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast