Hi there My work have just given me a nice new Pearl but told me ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

isaune no está en línea Stack level 2

Address Book

Advertisement

Hi there

My work have just given me a nice new Pearl but told me they are not going to pay for the "expensive server" that it really needs. Therefore, it is good as a phone and for browsing and e mails but it does not sync with my Calendar and contacts etc in Outlook.

I can live with that though!

What I can't live with is the fact that I can't see my corporate address book on the phone and therefore it is a very fiddly job initiating e mails and typing out all the addresses. Obviously, replying to e mails is fine, but starting off a thread is difficult.

Two questions:-

Firstly, is there any way of "importing" my corporate address book into my phone. I have seen elsewhere on this forum talk of a "look up" feature but I can't seem to find that!

Secondly, if the above is not possible, is there any way I can get the phone to "remember" every e mail address I send to? That way, whilst not ideal, at least i would only have to type each address once.

Grateful for your help.

thanks

Ian

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Ian, you can download Desktop Manager onto your work PC and then utilize that to sync your calendar and address books from Outlook with your device.

Also, if you have access to your e-mail with Outlook Web Access, you'll be able to set up your work e-mail through your BIS account.

Let us know if you need help with any of the above!

Cheers,
    Roger

I believe this is the link you would use to get started on setting up your BIS e-mails (BlackBerry Internet Service).

isaune no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hi Roger

Thanks for that but I am afraid I am a real newbie!!

Security on our work PCs is quite high and I don't even have a cd drive to load the software so syncing via a USB lead is not going to work I think.!

I don't know if we are using the BIS system or not but I can check with the IT guys 2mrw.

What I do know is that the e mails are coming in and going out from my Pearl wirelessly and the inbox in my Outlook at work is syncing nicely with the inbox on my Pearl.

Based on this, is there anything else I can try?

I did follow the link in your e mail re BIS to log in but it didn't recognise my user name / password

Sorry to be a pain and thx for your help

Ian

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by isaune View Post
    Secondly, if the above is not possible, is there any way I can get the phone to "remember" every e mail address I send to? That way, whilst not ideal, at least i would only have to type each address once.
    on this one , everytime you get an email you can "save to address book" and that way you can start building your address book that way.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

What I do know is that the e mails are coming in and going out from my Pearl wirelessly and the inbox in my Outlook at work is syncing nicely with the inbox on my Pearl.
    When you scroll over the e-mail inbox, is it your work e-mail address you're seeing at the bottom of the screen? Did your IT guys set this up for you?

I did follow the link in your e mail re BIS to log in but it didn't recognise my user name / password
    Ian
    Again, did your IT guys set up your device/e-mail for you? Do you have a BlackBerry e-mail address on your device? The BIS is for you to create your BlackBerry e-mail address (yourname@carrier.blackberry.net) and set up to receive any other e-mail addresses you have pushed to your device.

You would think that since this is a work phone that they would allow you to sync up your calendar and contacts on the device, so I'd ask them if you could install or have them install the Desktop Manager on your PC. Just tell them it will make you way more productive!

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    If you don't have a cd drive, you could always buy a usb bluetooth connected and sync via bluetooth with outlook.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Don't you still need DM to do that? Sounds like they won't allow their users to download anything either.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Hmm well I do know or ways around this. Like make DM portable which is what I did for the BlackBerry JDE however things start to become very complicated.