Hello. The Pearl is my first Blackberry. I come from a long line of PPC ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

outz no está en línea Stack level 1

Adding POP3 checking to Pearl - quickly kills the battery?

Advertisement

Hello. The Pearl is my first Blackberry. I come from a long line of PPC phones. On the PPC OS the battery life is great as long as I have it set to receive push email from an exchange server... once I add a personal POP3 account the battery drains fairly fast. I was just wondering if that were the case with BB's as well? Do they just poll the POP3 account every 5 minutes or so like a normal email client? Or does it do some fancy BB push forwarding something or another.

Thanks!

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Re: Adding POP3 checking to Pearl - quickly kills the battery?

I think it just forwards your email to your bb handheld so it doesn't check anything, all it does is receive the pushed email. I'm not 100% sure that this is correct but I think it is. Someone please confirm this so I'll know that this is right or not.

Hope this helped,
    COJO 24

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have several POP3 accounts on my BB and battery life is not affected by them. I believe the BIS Blackberry Server at your carrier does the periodic polling of your POP3 accounts and then it does an immediate push to your BB if something is there. As for sending a POP3 email, I'm not sure but it can take 15-20 minutes to send. If I want something to go quickly I either use my BES account, or use the GMail app I installed.

I'm using our co's BES, but it is hosted w/ HP as is our Exchange server.. So I'm not really able to look into it to see if it's doing the polling, or like you said there is something at Cingular doing it. I guess I could just turn it on and see how battery life is... I just wanted to check into it first.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

With the BES or BIS, all email is pushed to your Blackberry. The device doesn't poll the server. All it does is maintain a connection with the tower, which is necessary for phone communication anyway so the only impact to battery life is the actuall downloading of the email. The more you get, the shorter the battery life.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cool. thanks!

new2bberry no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    With the BES or BIS, all email is pushed to your Blackberry. The device doesn't poll the server. All it does is maintain a connection with the tower, which is necessary for phone communication anyway so the only impact to battery life is the actuall downloading of the email. The more you get, the shorter the battery life.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    Is there a way to change how often the bberry checks in w/ the tower for new mail? My battery life stinks.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

new2berry welcome to the stacks! You are in a better place now!
    as far as checking in with the tower its the same as being linked in with the phone.
    quick question how are closing the apps you have open? The reason I ask is with BB you have to hit menu then close, hitting the end button will hide them not close them thus keeping them still running.
    To see what apps are open hold down ALT (bottom left corner) and press the button to the right of the pearl scroll through these.
    My pearl just ran 3 days solid while on a trip out of town
    Hope it helps.
    Let me know how you get along with this.
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

audreypearl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2277FD30

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the alt+ what button? If its the back button the one right next to the trackball,I don't think it works. Hm I'd like to know which apps are running too!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

ok hold down the alt button (bottom left looks like 2 arrows going opposite each other) then hit the back button, keep holding down the alt button and scroll across the list, when one is highlighted release the alt button, it will open that app so you can close it.
    Make sense now? if not ask again!!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

new2bberry, Welcome to PinStack.

You can't change how often the BB checks the tower for connection. How strong a signal you have will impact your battery life, but if you do much texting, surfing or phone calls your battery life will be shorter than if you just let it check for connection.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

new2bberry no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks.