Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

First time poster here! Great forum with tons of info and helpful people. I was ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!

About to order a Pearl and could use some advice...

Advertisement

First time poster here! Great forum with tons of info and helpful people.
    I was thinking about ordering either the new Pearl 8120, or the curve 8320 from T-mobile (I'am a long time t-mobile customer).

Here is my decision making dilemma...

With a 2 year extension upgrade I can buy the pearl 8120 for $304.99 (there seems to be no upgrade fee at this time)
    Without a 2 year extension upgrade the Pearl 8120 would cost me $367.99

With a 2 year extension upgrade I can buy the curve for $367.99

w/2 yr ext:
    8120 - $289.99 ($304.99 w/ taxes)
    8320 - $349.99 ($367.99 w/taxes)

w/o 2 yr ext:
    8120 - $349.99 ($367.99 w/ taxes)

I am having a hard time deciding if I should use my 2 year upgrade extension, or if I should wait to use the extension upgrade next year when T-mobile has 3G fully running and all the new phones are out. My contract ends next December.

Even if I decide that I don't care weather or not I add the 2 year extension upgrade, I still don't know if I should get the curve with the extension upgrade, or the pearl for the same price without the extension upgrade?

And finally, if I decide to do the extension upgrade, the pearl will be about $70 cheaper than getting the extension upgrade with the curve.
    What would you do?

Also-
    If I were to try and get a cheaper discount like I have heard some people are getting, who should I ask to speak to at T-mobile? (Customer Care? Retention?)
    What should I say to the operator if they ask why I want to talk to customer care or the retention department?

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

mistergreg no está en línea Stack level 3
    No upgrade fees this weekend at all. The 2 year extension you're getting is a partial upgrade discount and is always available to you regardless of when you upgrade.

I honestly like the 8120 much more, having owned both. I feel the keypad is MUCH more responsive, and you get the benefit of the new software.

As far as 3g, the only thing I'd plan on when upgrading is a 3g blackberry and there really is none in sight for T-Mo right now, so I'd say go with the extension.

If you are "interested in canceling your service" you can speak with retentions who sometimes are known to give a better price with the extension.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    i would go to http://www.craigslist.com and buy a curve there for around $100-$200 without a contract upgrade and wait until the newer phones come out. That's WAYYYY too much money to be paying for an UPGRADE! LOL!
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

PIN/ID
    In addition- you can buy ATT's 8310 and have the GPS that is functioning on TMO's network! What's good for the wifi anyway----unless you are looking to talk for less in your house...but I dont see the point in the wifi.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Isn't WiFi also good for when you don't get good signal for browsing, email and chatting?

Back to the topic on hand: I am eligible for the 8120 with 2 yr extension.

Looking online at mytmobile.com I am seeing that I would pay $149, before shipping, with a 2 yr extension and after a $50 mail in rebate. After free shipping and $12.50 tax, I pay $212.49.

I emailed T-Mo CS as well as a friend who works for T-Mo and I got a quote of $167.99 (a savings of $44.50) if I went thru CS.

My dilemma is how much I should take to the store. I have heard that going to the store can sometimes be more expensive than CS or online ordering.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-26-2008 at 01:20 AM.

PIN/ID
    I would cut out the stores----and go straight to CL or Ebay----you are getting a phone without a contract extention giving you more play power when the "new" blackberries come out and you want to upgrade at that time.....KWIM????

You can upgrade now (and take a hit, cause you are extending a contract)....and say for instance, the 9000 comes out by december----you either shell out full price, pay a gouged price on Ebay, or extend for ANOTHER two years, making it now a 3 1/2 year contract and STILL paying the higher TMo price.

I haven't heard what the WiFi does on a low connection. I was under the impression that it wasn't like the iPhones wifi (which does that).....that it was more for the benefit of wifi voice communication....clarity and stuff like that. I dunno though....i'd rather stick with GPS...at least I am clear on that function! LOL!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    I would cut out the stores----and go straight to CL or Ebay----you are getting a phone without a contract extention giving you more play power when the "new" blackberries come out and you want to upgrade at that time.....KWIM????
    Last time I tried to eliminate the stores, I ended up having to call and yell at CS for sending a replacement phone (first phone's Wireless Radio blew out) to the wrong address simply because they didn't confirm my house address with me (I chose the 7 day shipping and my phone hadn't shown up after 10 days). They sent me a second replacement (for a total of 3 of the exact same model phone) and I ended up getting the first replacement late (4 months). Never going thru that headache again.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-26-2008 at 01:29 AM.

PIN/ID
    I am talking about eliminating ALL of TMO....and just doing CL or Ebay----but, some people just dont feel comfortable doing that.

Hey---I spend small fortunes on some "convinence" things (like valet).....so....to each their own on how or where they buy a phone!

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    I called the store yesterday and they said I couldn't charge the phones to my T-mobile bill If I bought them there. I don't know if they would give the same upgrade fees or not though.
    So how come I am hearing about so many better upgrade deals than what I am being offered? I have been with T-mobile for over 5 years, and supposedly am a preferred customer.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Any tips on how to get a better price? Doesn't seem to fair to me. MAybe I should suggest switching carries. The problem with that is T-mobile has the best plan available to me.

PIN/ID
    Do what I said----Craigslist or Ebay!

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    I might do craigslist. There is a 1 month old t-mobile curve on craigs going for 150.00 near me. I just have a hard time trusting used electronics (especially phones).
    If I could get the price below 250, I would get the 8120 with an extension right away. If I could get it less than 200.00, I would be very happy.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    my two cents-I've had both an 81xx and 83xx, I like the Curve much more than the pearl, the screen, response time, and full keyboard.

PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Which 81xx do you have? the 8120?

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000 View Post
    I might do craigslist. There is a 1 month old t-mobile curve on craigs going for 150.00 near me. I just have a hard time trusting used electronics (especially phones).
    If I could get the price below 250, I would get the 8120 with an extension right away. If I could get it less than 200.00, I would be very happy.
    You just have to put in ur sim card, take ur time and play with it. Make sure all the apps and functions work. People have gotten "broken" or faulty phones from tmo/att/verizon/sprint directly, so the risk is still there. At least on CL you can go play with it before buying it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast