Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Is the kid going to even know what the hek he has in his hands. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

fifthgearvtec7 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2405BEF2

Re: 9 year old gets Pearl for Xmas

Advertisement

Is the kid going to even know what the hek he has in his hands. WOW 9 years old. Now thats probably the youngest i have seen. I always laugh when i see a 12 year old but its all over the place these days.

mikeyp_67 no está en línea Stack level 1

im 18 now i didnt get my first cell phone till i was 16 after working a job to pay the monthly bills and for the phone (since i wanted a cool one they were expensive) believe me it helped me learn the value of a dollar and everything i worked for. its not longer "Buy me this" of "i want this now" anymore its more like "do i need this now or not really?"

oheckno no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31E75692

I guess that would work as far as music and games, but a Blackberry just seems like overkill.. My brother turned 10 not too long ago, and even though he has a cell phone he doesn't use it!

But, hey! If their mom has THAT kind of money to blow on something THAT expensive, then power to the kid. I would think a kid would want something else for the holidays!! If it were me, I'd just buy a new game for my DS. :]

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3

Well this is certainly something I never had to contend with growing up. Now I feel like one of those cantankerous bastards who shakes his cane at kids going "back when I was your age, only high end phones had more than 4 keys!"

But who I am to judge.

mikeyp_67 no está en línea Stack level 1

true, times change, 10 years ago a kid with internet in his or her room, people were up in arms at that fact. now, if you have a wi-fi card or anythign like that with a computer its easy. i guess a cell phone is a new luxury for children and some teenagers

Daiikun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242A31A6

I just don't understand what a 9yo needs with a bb. Does any of their friends have one? I really hope not. What's the point of having one if their friends don't. I could understand it then. I mean, I use BBM all the time...but that's about it...
    THE ONE AND ONLY DAIIKUN
    Otherwise known as "Cherri's Playmate"
    MySpace

bmwcsl no está en línea Stack level 1

thats crazy

Sphynx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24869D20

The ONLY way I could think of letting a child before the age of around sixteen have a blackberry was if they saved of their money and bought it themselves. In my opinion, saving your money for something and not your parents makes you take much better care of it. You worked HARD for that phone, and you're less likely to break it, or just go "eh."

At least, that's how I am. It took me three paychecks to get my BB and I'm so glad that I did!

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3

I have seen many of parent by the 8130 for there kids. Usually in the range of 12+. Verizon knew what they were doing when they rolled out there $30 unlimited Pop3 access plan

fjl1977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E0A975

Wow. I didn't get my first cell until I was 18 and I bought it myself.
    And I would feel much safer if my kids would have a cell phone and not some guns. They couldn't accidentally send someone to the hospital or worse with a cell phone.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

adubrovs no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C8EB2

I find it funny how a lot of people on here comment how kids dont NEED a blackberry. I'm pretty sure most people on here don't NEED one, but it's a nice toy to have. Kids are growing up way too fast these days, so comparing what you had when you were 9 and what kids have at this day in age is not really appropriate.
    Internet is everywhere these days, schools, libraries, caffes, so having it on your blackberry, is not that big of a risk in my opinion. I think it just comes down to education. We always tell kids not to give out home addresses and phone numbers, now we have to start teaching kids not to give out their PINs either.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got my 11 year old god son a BB for christmas I by chance his god mom checks his min they are all gone WTF he's in the house making cell phone calls with the home phone right next to him I'm asking his mom didn't she go over phone rules with him and she like no so I couldn't even fault him

bluebugangel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Plz Ask

Well, the reality is, kids do have phones early on now adays. My daughter will be 11 in February and has had a cell phone for almost 7 years. Although it drives my husband crazy that she has one, she is responsible for her phone. She has had cheap phones and expensive phones. To each thier own, but I know my kid and she is one of the responsible ones. She does not have her own plan, as we are on a family plan. One thing that will not happen any time soon is her getting a BB though. It is too much of a phone for a kid. The BB was created to be a jack of all trades phone. I do know that many providers, depending on where you live, are selling the phones with new contracts for around $50 and some are offering the pearl for free. (Always ask for a price match...) Since this is the case, that may be why some kids are receiving this phone. I still wouldn't do it for my daughter!! 9 is WAY too young for a BB! There are perfectly suitable phones out there for kids and young teens.

sassylass67 no está en línea Stack level 2

Being the parent of a 7 yr old boy, I totally understand all of the posts regarding how expensive a BB is for such a young child. However, my main concern is that it will get lost within the first week of having it. Case in point: sent my son to summer camp and over the course of several weeks, he lost goggles, underwear (don't ask), socks (came home wearing another kids sock.....GROSS), more goggles, and several towels! I think my son is pretty representative of kids at his age........

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ again, I have read the newest posts on this subject and first of all.. To each his/her own. However, as a parent of 5 I agree with the whole thing about it getting lost/stolen/broken within the first week. My kids are responsible and times HAVE changed, but kids are still kids. They need to be able to pay for their OWN bill every month. When the time comes, I may be willing to get the phone for them as a birthday gift or something but only IF they are going to be able to pay the bill cause I won't!
    And in regards to the whole hunting thing.. I grew up in the country, born and raised hunter/fisher. My kids will be going through gun safety regardless of wanting to hunt or not. I was out in the woods with family hunting since I was 6. Guns are NOT dangerous with proper training..but that is another subject.
    Cellphones and the internet are very dangerous, no matter how much we try to teach them safety and not giving out information. Haven't you seen to catch a preditor?!
    There...I'm done for now.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast