Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'm not surprised. Time as change dramatically. Nothing seems to amaze me again.... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tfrankson no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2845FBAD

Re: 9 year old gets Pearl for Xmas

Advertisement

I'm not surprised. Time as change dramatically. Nothing seems to amaze me again.

tmrepp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask me

To the parents it is seemingly just a price tag, they don't fully realize (or realize at all) what the phone is capable of apparently. Until they do, just live with it. Who cares, it's obviously not any of your kids.

carmover no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A059B4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm kind of split on this topic. As far as the $$ amount being a waste on a kid so young the same can be said for a $100,000 Mercedees when a $30,000 Toyota can do the same thing. I do however somewhat agree with the internet thing unsupervised access can be trouble for a 9 year old in this day and age. The argument for getting one is at least when they are texting(which is why most kids want a phone) they will actually be more inclined to use and learn to spell real words instead of the new texting language.

Michaels no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2429E006

Our 6 year has a Curve and is emailing her friends and family and she use BB Mess for her family who has BBs Its help her with spelling and computer skills

shadrack2002 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248906D0

Thatz awsome...I don't even know what I was doing when I was 9.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

6 yr old emailing? that is a bit crazy, maybe i am just getting too old...

iitsyella no está en línea Stack level 1

I got a cell phone when I was 14 and it was the biggest ugliest phone possible, it had a lime green backlight! I had that phone for almost 2 years until I was able to get a job and buy my own. And because of that I FULLY appreciate the nice things I am able to buy, including my Curve

rainydayz no está en línea Stack level 3

My oldest is 8 and I'll buy him a little go phone or something when he's 10. He's very responsible but he won't be needing any internet or Bluetooth or anything like that until he's old enough to have a real necessity for that stuff.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by rainydayz View Post
    My oldest is 8 and I'll buy him a little go phone or something when he's 10. He's very responsible but he won't be needing any internet or Bluetooth or anything like that until he's old enough to have a real necessity for that stuff.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    word. after highschool i think is the right time

rainydayz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by glehman85 View Post
    word. after highschool i think is the right time
    Or during high school if he's employed and buys it himself. And if his grades are good which they will be because I won't let him keep a job at the expense of his education so if the grades aren't up to par, then he'll have no job, and that means NO phone cause I sure won't be spending BlackBerry dollars until graduation! Isn't it just grand how things come full circle?

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

Cheerzzz friends for the new 9yrs old stacker, hope he'll be soon with us ! !

rammerjammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wilsticu

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The great thing about the Blackberry is that you can't "accidentally" access the internet without a data plan. I see nothing wrong with a nine year old getting a phone with an MP3 player. My son has one with a text package and no data. He is 17 though. To each their own. My two daughters have expressed no interest in a phone. But when they want one, I think the Pearl is a good choice. I'll make sure they stay out of the desert.

Beazer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2400E929

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    I have to hold my tongue when people call to add there 7, 8, 9 year olds to their Family Plans. My first thoughts in my head are "Can you not keep well enough tabs on a 7 year old that you have to buy them a phone to make sure they're not getting into trouble?"

If someone called me and asked for a Blackberry for their 9 year old kid, I couldn't hold it back. "A blackberry is a high-end device that can't be insured, you're putting a $400 device into a 9 year old's hands? Are you f-ing serious? Yeah, 90 bucks now, 400 to replace! Are you nuts or what!?"

Then I'd probably receive a brown box the next day and ask to pack up my things form my desk and leave...
    Even though I've been registered, I just don't post often. But, I had to respond to this post.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

My eight year old son always gets our old phones to play with. When we upgrade we keep one phone to throw a Sim card into if something happens and we need a back-up. He gets the previous back-up phone to toy around with. He can't use it for anything except games, period. He wants HIS own phone and these are his reasons.....Call Mommy, Daddy, Nana and Papaw....that's it. He absolutely will not get one and here are MY reasons......He's with me, he's with mommy...and when he is he can use ours to call Nana or Papaw....OR, he's at school. My kid is never away from me other than at school, he has no reason to have a cell phone to call anyone. I have two laptops for home, one for work, a cell phone for work and a blackberry for personal. I don't see any valid reason there can be for a child to a have a cell phone until they are old enough to be away from their parents or a guardian and by themself for an extended period of time. Until he's old enough that I trust him to be safe without me, he doesn't need a phone to carry in his pocket, he can use mine. Seriously, unless he's with a school function he isn't out of my sight...what the h-ll does he need a cell phone for???? Oh, to text me G'nite because I'm too busy to give him a kiss and hug? Or call me from the bathroom because he forgot a towel before he got in the bathtub?? Please, kids and cell phones are a joke. If anyone thinks their pre-teen kid "NEEDS" s a cell phone, save your money and invest it. Give it a few years and you'll be able to afford to buy them the "Blackberry 12995.6 Nuclear that has the self charging reactor and is no more than the size of the average bluetooth headset." It'll be out in about 5 years, so the interest on your $400 investment should at least cover the cost when you sign up for the 18 year plan.

And please don't argue the maturity level with me either. My son has four guns and has been through hunting and gun safety courses. He uses his guns, not BB guns, real guns to hunt and target shoot with. He's more than mature for his age. He just has no need, as I don't see another child his age having a need, for a phone to carry around that wastes my hard earned money.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

^^^^ A++ for that post!

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

Quote Originally Posted by glehman85 View Post
    nah maybe an iphone

then i could care less what they do with it
    *LOL*