Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

nah maybe an iphone then i could care less what they do with it... BlackBerry Pearl forum

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: 9 year old gets Pearl for Xmas

Advertisement

nah maybe an iphone

then i could care less what they do with it

tj2311111 Guest

I dont see why it matters if a 9 year old gets a BB for Xmas. Who even knows if the parents will activate the Data plan or let them use it just as a regular phone. It seems most of you forget a BB can be used as a regular cellphone instead of a data/email machine. This thread is pointless to me, doesn't matter we think as it wont have an effect. You guys act as if a BB is a weapon for a 9 year old.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Because some of us are parents and everyone is entitled to an opinion, that's what the Stacks are about.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by colomboj View Post
    At 9 I would have so taken a pearl apart just to see how it worked. More than likley breaking it for good.

Kids these days...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I am almost 30 and I still do that.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    I am almost 30 and I still do that.
    We know....
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I have 5 kids and I'm sorry but that is ridiculous! No way in h*ll will my kids have a BB until they have a J O B!! For now we have 4 virgin mobile phones..pre paid is fine. I still have to worry about them texting and whatnot..

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

My 9 YO got a cell phone for Christmas this year, but it wasn't a BB. It was a Pay as you Go LG POS. All he needs is a phone to call me because I don't have a land line in my house. A BB? That kid'll never need 90% of the stuff on that phone. Waste of the Parents money, IMO.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3

My ten year old nephew is using my old e62 and has been for about 8 months. He does a little surfing but mostly he just uses the email functions on it and as a direct communication device for his parents, grandparents etc. Can't say that he hasn't abused the privilege once (that was an expensive first bill) but he has shown he's capable of appreciating the value of a dollar since he stopped receiving an allowance from myself and his parents for three months and he missed out on a birthday present too. Now he has learned how to track usage and infact pays 25% of the bill with his allowance.

I think it might almost be time to give him a device he can care about (read BlackBerry).

But in most cases this would in fact be an outrageous decision. My nephew just happens to be a bit of a savant when it comes to technology. (He's already building his own websites and learning how to set up basic networks.)

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

i bought my 10 year old a phone for christmas... does *almost* everything a bb will do
    if i was eligible for some decent rate where i got the pearl for free, might buy it for my 13 year old ...
    my biggest concern right now is internet without the *net nanny* ... and that can happen on any of the phones now.

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    my biggest concern right now is internet without the *net nanny* ... and that can happen on any of the phones now.
    Lol, too true. I guess when he hits 11 or 12 I'll have to start worrying a little bit more about it. God knows what I would have done with that much access at that age.

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

I have to hold my tongue when people call to add there 7, 8, 9 year olds to their Family Plans. My first thoughts in my head are "Can you not keep well enough tabs on a 7 year old that you have to buy them a phone to make sure they're not getting into trouble?"

If someone called me and asked for a Blackberry for their 9 year old kid, I couldn't hold it back. "A blackberry is a high-end device that can't be insured, you're putting a $400 device into a 9 year old's hands? Are you f-ing serious? Yeah, 90 bucks now, 400 to replace! Are you nuts or what!?"

Then I'd probably receive a brown box the next day and ask to pack up my things form my desk and leave...
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

amanderbander no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2452AA5C

my sons aunt...who is ehh 6, and yes, it's really his aunt...got a cell phone last year....that made her 5...she got on of those firefly(i think) phones..the one where the parents can program in like 5 numbers...i thought that was a little much.. my son will be 4 next month..and i'm not thinking he's gonna get a cell phone in a year....

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

[quote=LaTuFu;543557] All he needs is a phone to call me because I don't have a land line in my house. quote]

does your son attend school? i thought it was MANDATORY to have a landline incase of emergency..?

FroggyStyle no está en línea Stack level 3

Well my daughter is 6 and has a Motorola Rizr Z3. I too was a little skeptical on getting a 6 year old a phone, however after a nasty split with the ex, it was easier to get my daughter a phone then have to try to bargain with my ex as to when I could talk to my daughter because she pays for there house phone service.

I made my daughter 2 rules when it comes to the phone; 1 phone does not go to school with her and 2 only numbers that can be called are her my faves. Of course being 6, rule number 1 was broken on the first day, in turn that resulted in loss of the phone for 3 weeks, needless to say that solved that has she has been abiding by the rules ever since.

She has asked for a few ring tones and such, that I did let her get after doing chores and working for the $$ cost of the ring tone. (No such thing of learning the value of a dollar to early in life)

EDIT::

And one more thing, I do on occasion let her play around with my Curve, and I will say she can probably navigate around on it better then some folks on this forum No offense to the noobs (we where all there once)

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I am just amazed about this topic.. I considered the firefly for 2 of our daughters (we have 4 girls!) and after doing research it wasn't worth it. Cheaper to give em one of our virgin mobiles to use..
    And I'm sorry but they do not NEED one right now.
    Also, like stated above.. To give them a phone with all those capabilities that they don't need, not to mention the cost for replacement on an item with such high $$ value.. I just can't justify that.
    But hey situations are different for everyone so who am I to judge? It's not my money...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast