I have a 8700 for work and I am hooked on it. I tried the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

8700 to 8100 Why?

Advertisement

I have a 8700 for work and I am hooked on it. I tried the E62 but it crashed permantly and speed and functionality is not as good. I am back to my Nokia 6682 but forward my calls to the 8700 because it is better but my friends freak out because it is a different number they see when I call them. blah blah blah
    Long story short is I want a BB for personal use now and tried the Pearl for about 30 mins and hate it compared to my 8700. Who else here made the jump and actually like the pearl over the 8700? I am trying to justify keeping the pearl. Anyone have words of encouragement?

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ck_8700_a.html

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...side_side.html

manapuaman, check out the above threads to give you some ideas as to the differences. I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference.

There are those that really like the Suretype keyboard. Others will not give up the full QWERTY. Other than that, the Pearl has a newer OS and multimedia capabilities that the 8700 does not have. Oh, did I mention how it's a lot smaller and more convenient to take with you?

That being said, with the 8800 coming out in a few months, it'll be interesting to see how many Pearl users jump back to full QWERTY.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    I have the Pearl and its an ok device, but not for me. I need the bigger screen and full keyboard. The pearl is just too small physically overall for me.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

prickleypete no está en línea Stack level 2

Successfully made the switch...

I was a hardened 8700 user. I fought and protested with the smaller dual key keypad, Suretype, etc...until I really gave it a shot. I started the switch to a 7130 then went to the Pearl.

After about two weeks of forced use, I now consider the 8100 form factor and keyboard my personal standard. I actually type faster on the 8100 than I could with the 8700. While in a moving vehicle, train, etc., I find myself being able to type more clear with Suretype than searching for the specific keys on the 8700.

I rationalized the smaller screen by being smart. Don't display the time field on the message list, display the emails in two lines (From: top, subject: second), etc. Buy eSpell as well. It will help with the typos and untrained Suretype in the short-term.

For me, I can't go back to the full sized key layout. The 8800 forthcoming will test me again and my fickled loyalty.

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6
    Tough decision for me.
    8700 pros are the better ringer, full keyboard, durable, thumbwheel.

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately they all point me to the 8700. It will be easier for me to go back and forth between my work and personal devices. Maybe I can wait for the 8800.

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391
    manapuaman, I hear you totally!

I have been using my 8700g almost exclusively, even though I had the Pearl with me the whole time. I just had to buy the Pearl and see for myself how great the device is because I'd kept hearing about it. But I'd found myself using the 8700g all the time so I gave it to my girlfriend, it was a good thing that she was way overdue for a new phone. I've been waiting for the 8800 ever since.

Ironically, I don't even know when 8800 will be available, but I've read some articles about upcoming 9XXX models which are supposedly more superb than the 8800. Now I am seriously lost whether I should get the 8800 or wait a little longer so that I will see some preliminary info about 9xxx before I make up my mind.
    Hmm... dilema, dilema...
    Last edited by nabitheking; 12-26-2006 at 05:32 PM.

drmoze no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by manapuaman
    Tough decision for me.
    8700 pros are the better ringer, full keyboard, durable, thumbwheel.
    Interesting. I *love* the trackball, and hated that wheel when I had to switch back to my old 7290 for a bit!

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by manapuaman
    I have a 8700 for work and I am hooked on it. I tried the E62 but it crashed permantly and speed and functionality is not as good. I am back to my Nokia 6682 but forward my calls to the 8700 because it is better but my friends freak out because it is a different number they see when I call them. blah blah blah
    Long story short is I want a BB for personal use now and tried the Pearl for about 30 mins and hate it compared to my 8700. Who else here made the jump and actually like the pearl over the 8700? I am trying to justify keeping the pearl. Anyone have words of encouragement?

lol, cant help you there because i did the same, went form the pearl to the 8700g but strongly considering getting the 8800 when it comes out

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you're thinking about the pearl, you should probably try to hold out until the 8800.. It'll be interesting to see how many pearl users switch over to the 8800 when its out. I for one, know I will be switching.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    I can't wait for the 8800. I have an 8700g, and never thought about getting the Pearl to replace it. Considered it as an extra, but figured I could wait for the 8800 and let the hubby step up from a 7100 to my 8700.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ericugs
    If you're thinking about the pearl, you should probably try to hold out until the 8800.. It'll be interesting to see how many pearl users switch over to the 8800 when its out. I for one, know I will be switching.
    I think there will be a lot of converts running around, lol.