Apoloiges as I am new to this, but on my Rogers (BES) flip... Returned my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

17chrisw no está en línea Stack level 1

8220 Flip problems

Advertisement

Apoloiges as I am new to this, but on my Rogers (BES) flip...
    Returned my first phone as was constantly getting "invalid simcard error"
    "emergency calls only"
    even after changing to a new simcard.

On the replacement phone have just started getting the same error message....

Furthermore, on both phones there is a very discernible time lag between dialling numbers and hearing the beep from each number pressed

Software V 4.6.0.174

Appreciate any comments

CW

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't comment on the simcard error but the lag you are experiencing while dialing has been well documented. I am running 174 as well (on Tmo) and have it too.

I believe it is a result of the Flip using a more advanced and complicated OS (4.6) while keeping the same processor as the original Curve, which showed the hour glass plenty itself.

I have also noticed that my pre-programmed numbers for accessing bank balance are entered ("beep") slower than the Curve too.

m0bilechic no está en línea Stack level 1

No Problem Like That

I've been using the BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220 for a couple weeks now and I haven't had any problems like that. I did find the build quality to be pretty low though. Other than that, a Pearl that flips open. Check out my video review comparing the 8220 with the 8120 at youtube.com/watch?v=Shm5T0zL0hQ

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by m0bilechic View Post
    I've been using the BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220 for a couple weeks now and I haven't had any problems like that. I did find the build quality to be pretty low though. Other than that, a Pearl that flips open. Check out my video review comparing the 8220 with the 8120 at youtube.com/watch?v=Shm5T0zL0hQ
    Welcome to the forum. I must respectfully suggest that you haven't put the phone through its paces. The lag is a well documented "feature" of the Flip, and is no surprise considering the slow processor. There are even complaints of lag with the Bold and Storm, despite their faster ones.

I can make a latte (including steaming the milk) before the Flip finishes booting up after a battery pull. Despite this, I choose to use the Flip over any other phone currently available. It's nifty, and does everything I need it to do, albeit slowly at times.

I did view a couple of your videos. I thought it was the least I could do since I was being invited to do so via email notifications repeatedly today.

lalifeguards no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    CH ME
    The SIM card error is quite common. The reason this happens is because the SIM card is not sitting snug against the internal contacts. Most people have found that putting a small piece of paper such as a business card on top of the SIM card keeps it snug. This is obviously a terrible flaw in RIM's design and your only choices are to get it swapped out again in the hopes of getting a solid device, or live with it and use paper. This happened to me, and I opted to switch. My next phone was fine.

redhedincognito no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2581CFB6
    I have had this phone for a while now, and until recently had no issues arise. I now am experiencing the dreaded "invalid SIM" error. I have now placed a piece of business card (What a horrible oversight on RIMS behalf.) into the poorly manufactured sim card slot over the SIM card. Here's hoping this cures it at least until I can afford to get a model that was actually built with care.
    If this phone was not giving me this error constantly now, I would not have any issues with it at all. It does everything I need it to do and more, and has great freedom when creating themes due to having a higher OS.
    I will post my findings of the business card fix shortly.
    "No Problem Can Withstand the Assault of Sustained Thinking" - Voltaire

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    For the lag problem, I would suggest updating your OS. I am running 4.6.0.267 and it is quite faster than the stock OS it came with
    Posted via smartphone

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    My wifes flip was fine for about 4 months.....then one day started acting up....never got the sim issue....but very laggy and random shut offs..in fact got to where it shut off every 10 minutes.....I have tried every os available with no fix....I got her a different phone and through the flip in a drawer...idk what to do with it....nothing seemed to help it at all?

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Here is the link to the 8220 OS thread http://forums.pinstack.com/f222/late...69/index9.html

I'm sorry to hear that bmay82.. I haven't had any problems like that with mine. 17chrisw, mine came from TMO though not Rogers so I haven't had any sim errors to report.