Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ok now as some may know i have a phone addiction. i have 3 blackberries. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

8130 for verizon help with 160 character texts

Advertisement

ok now as some may know i have a phone addiction. i have 3 blackberries. anyway. ive never had verizon but i purchased the new pearl for it. useually when i send texts. i send some long ones, a lot longer then 160 characters. it cuts me off at 160. is there anyway to send more then 160. im playing with it but cant figure it out. or do i just have to send another whole new message? my att and tmo i can send 6 texts of 160 charecter messages at once. -

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8130 for verizon help with 160 character texts

I've asked this before and no one responded or if they did they didn't know. I'm with you man and I wish there is a fix for this.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I'd like to know if this limit exists on the 8100's or the Sprint/Telus versions of the 8130
    never really paid attention to it.

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    I'd like to know if this limit exists on the 8100's or the Sprint/Telus versions of the 8130
    never really paid attention to it.
    No. We already have established that it does not on the 8100's since we both use TMO and those phones, but it is only known to do so on the Verizon 8130 at this time.

We will wait to hear from a Sprint user.

Either way what can be done?
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

i have to say. it is very annoying. on all my phones. on att and tmo. all of which have been blackberries since 2004. i was able to type way more then 160 sms characters. i checked in settings and everything. but its not just the blackberry on verizon. its all verizon phones. from what im hearing.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

The following is from the VZW FAQ on text messaging located here: http://support.vzw.com/faqs/TXT%20messaging/faq.html

8. How many characters can I receive in my text messages?
    Verizon Wireless can support up to 160 characters in all Text Messaging markets.

9. What happens if the maximum character length is exceeded?
    Only 160 characters of the message will be received. All remaining characters will be deleted.

10.What is included in the 160-character limit of a text message?
    The 160 character limit includes the sender's email address (if applicable), the composed message and, if provided, the subject and callback number.

19. How do I send a text message from a 2-way capable phone?
    If you have subscribed to Verizon Wireless' Text Messaging service and have purchased a 2-way text messaging capable phone, you will be able to send messages to another Verizon Wireless text messaging subscriber and to anyone who has an Internet email address. Using the keypad on your 2-way messaging capable phone, simply enter the 10-digit mobile number of the Verizon Wireless text messaging subscriber or Internet email address of the recipient, compose the message and press SEND. Your mobile number will be sent with the message.

The 160-character limit includes the email address indicated by the sender, the message content, and if provided, the subject and callback number. Message length may vary depending on the system and equipment factors.

----------------------------------------------------

This is from the T-Moble website concerning text messages. As you can see, they also only do 160 characters per message.

Short and sweet
    Fast and to the point, text messaging delivers with up to 160 characters to say your piece:
    Send and receive messages to and from any 10-digit wireless phone number.
    Send and receive messages from anyone with an e-mail address—your e-mail address is simply your 10-digit phone number at tmomail.net.
    Receive info alerts including horoscopes, sports scores, jokes, and more.

This is from Sprints site:

About SMS Text Messaging
    Use a person’s wireless phone number to send brief text messages from your Sprint PCS VisionSM phone to their messaging-ready phone – and have them send messages to you.

SMS Text Messaging is not Web-based, which means:
    You don’t have to start the Web or browser on your phone to use it.
    The recipient does not have to access the Web from their phone to get the message.

You can exchange text messages of up to 160 characters with other Sprint phones and major U.S. wireless carriers, as well as many international wireless carriers.

Some carriers I believe have software on the phone that breaks the message into multiple text messages. In turn you get billed for each one of those messages that go out. So on VZW, you will just have to continue long messages in another text message. You can read more on text messaging here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_messaging

I hope this clears it up for you.

LPTruth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Yep, no doubt! Verizon has 160 character limit. It's actually an upgrade as well I think! I've been with them for a long time and I seem to remember there was a time that it was much less! 60 I think! When it was only 60, if you went over that limit it would send you 2 messages to complete!

Just another reason to tell everyone to switch mobiles to BB! BBM for the win!
    www.BlackLightThemes.com
    Free Ringtones, Wallpapers and Themes
    www.BBIconStore.com
    Make your new theme Pop with new Icons

bigmatt no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yea my sprint berry it is limited. I never go over the 160 though so its ok.

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    i have to say. it is very annoying. on all my phones. on att and tmo. all of which have been blackberries since 2004. i was able to type way more then 160 sms characters. i checked in settings and everything. but its not just the blackberry on verizon. its all verizon phones. from what im hearing.
    Treo and Q allows you send up to 960 characters on verizon.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Those actually break down the message into several text messages. Didn't realize that these blackberries didn't do that

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    Those actually break down the message into several text messages. Didn't realize that these blackberries didn't do that

Correct, I was just about to post that. 960 / 160 = 6 seperate messages (and 6 seperate charges, LOL)

nidserz no está en línea Stack level 1

ick! i am with Telus and i have the exact same problem!
    the new 8130 cannot go over 140 chars...
    but i read somewhere it might had to do with CDMA vs. GSM
    hopefully there is a solution

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by nidserz View Post
    ick! i am with Telus and i have the exact same problem!
    the new 8130 cannot go over 140 chars...
    but i read somewhere it might had to do with CDMA vs. GSM
    hopefully there is a solution
    more like texters vs. carriers, the carriers control the length of messages, nothing you can do about it

ashley1318 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have the Telus pink blackberry pearl 8130 and it only allows me to use 140 characters too... So there is no way of changing it to allow more?

gies no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    yeah, if you guys are stuck at 160, I'll trade ya for my Telus 140 just like ashley1318 says. I guess i hafta find shorter ways of sayin "L8R" and "cya"....LOL. Maybe they figured SMS really should be a Short Message Service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast