Hi- I have my BB 8130 connected to my laptop via the USB cable. The ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sesro1978 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8130 Charging via USB and Laptop

Advertisement

Hi-

I have my BB 8130 connected to my laptop via the USB cable. The "plug indicator" is next to the battery meter, indicating that it is charging (I think). That said I have had it connected for a good 2 hours and the battery meter has not moved up and the "Status" still indicates the battery at 30%.

Is this normal?

Should I pull the battery to reset the device?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Seth

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3
    Try a battery pull. I noticed it hung once on me as well and had to goose it by pulling the battery. Sometimes older pcs/laptops do not have enough voltage or amperage to effectively charge via usb. My work pc behaves that way. Older tower.

Thanks! Should I turn-off the BB first then pull the battery or pull the battery while the device is up and running?

Oh, and it is connected to my work laptop (new though) via a USB hub plugged into the USB port on the computer; I wonder if that has something to do with it?

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3
    |NO, leave the bb running and pull the bat. Counterintuitive, but there it is. The hub could be an issue. Try the battery pull first. |If the pc/laptop doesnt have the oomph it needs , I think my bb told me . Yup it will, and I tooo have it on a long leash/adaptor. Could be my problem as well.
    If the battery pull doesnt work and the unit still wont charge, then remove the hub from the equation. Process of elimination. Luck and let us know what you find.

Pinstripe no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had the same issue in that if plugged into my laptop USB on battery power the Pearl wouldn't charge but if I hooked up the charger to the laptop it would.
    Last edited by Pinstripe; 03-14-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    Randy
    Pearl 8130

Hi-

Thanks for all the help. I did the battery pull thing and it seemed to help. Ultimately I ended up plugging the phone into the wall last night and charged it up to 100%.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Quote Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
    Hi-

Thanks for all the help. I did the battery pull thing and it seemed to help. Ultimately I ended up plugging the phone into the wall last night and charged it up to 100%.
    Good deal - glad you got it charged.

A couple of questions to consider with the laptop charging issue:
    • Was the laptop running on the battery?
    • Does it have USB 2.0?
    • Did you have the necessary drivers installed?
    Granted, these may not be the issue, but they could have played a part in the charging issue.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Many laptops (as well as some desktops even) don't provide sufficient power to all their USB ports to charge devices. This is mainly due to trying to cut power consumption.

That said, on desktop PCs, the rear USB ports are almost always powered while the front ones may not be. Some laptops have the same configuration -- two powered ports and then more (at another location) which aren't.

I guess I should probably clarify. They are all "powered" in a way. They just don't have sufficient current to actually charge devices or use certain USB accessories.

Also, some computers won't supply power to the device if the drivers for the device aren't loaded. Just another thing to think about.

Glad you got it charged regardless.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade