I'm a proud and happy owner of the first Pearl with Tmobile and didn't realize ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

thegallery no está en línea Stack level 2

8130 and GPS

Advertisement

I'm a proud and happy owner of the first Pearl with Tmobile and didn't realize a new one had been released.

The tile of this category is "GPS enabled 8130" but on one or two sites I was looking at said GPS was not available on this phone, at least not through Verizon?

My friend is interested in the pink one from Verizon, and I may switch to Verizon too when my contract ends. It looks like service is going to cost a lot more than Tmobile, but everyone seems to have better coverage locally with Verizon, so that is important.

Anyway, I'm wondering if someone would mind quickly laying out the differences between the 8100 and the 8130? And any comments on how the GPS works, if there's voice directions available? Does it work with the google maps, etc..

and any thoughts on the service we should subscribe to with verizon? Currently I have 1500minute vioceplan with Tmobile, $20 for unlimited interenet, and I pay a few extra for 400 text messages per month. I'm assuming it all works the same through Verizon but not sure. Tks

radiomk1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up 8130 Verizon

Verizon is alot more expensive but the service coverage is the best. I pay 80 for 1st line + 10 for additinal lines, 1400min + additinal 100min per month, 5 for 250 text and pix, 30 for unlimited data. As far as the GPS it is built in to the phone but verizon blocks access to it unless you pay 2.99 per day or 10 per month for there service VZ Navigator.

Pinstripe no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yes, the GPS provides voice guidence.
    Randy
    Pearl 8130

thegallery no está en línea Stack level 2
    wow, that is incredibly expensive. I pay:

$50 for 1500min with unlimited nites and weekends
    $20 unlimited data
    $5 for 400 sms or mms messages

and if I pair it with a gps receiver that would be free, though I think it's complicated to get actual voice directions. Even as it stands now I use the google maps with the "my location", which is far from accurate but has helped me out in a pinch.

Basically my friend is switching to Verizon because of the lack of service where she lives, or meanwhile it's really not so bad for me. I thought if we did a shared plan it might make sense. I can understand paying more, but the blocking of the gps just to take advantage of customers seems too much, and that's the kind of reasoning that had me ditch my verizon landline a couple years back. I guess I should hold out until Tmobile offers it...

Thanks for all your comments by the way