Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old pro needs help here. My 8120 trackball died overnight while I was asleep. Last ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

8120 Trackball Won't Select

Advertisement

Old pro needs help here. My 8120 trackball died overnight while I was asleep. Last night when using it, I heard it making a clicking noise that is NOT the Audible Roll in the Keypad Options menu (it sounded like the click you hear when using a mouse, or mouse button on a notebook). It will still roll left, right, up and down but I have to use Enter to select.

This is not a new problem to me. I had a 7105t trackwheel do the same thing about 2 years ago (that's how I ended up with the 8100). The thing is, I have the new Handset Protection that T-Mobile introduced earlier this year. Will this cost me the $100 I got slapped with when the 7105t died (I was told at the store that it was not covered)?

I don't have an upgrade coming for 8 months and I don't feel comfortable enough tinkering with electronics at this level. Is there anything I can do to save my 8120 that I have had for 14 months? I love this phone although it has been somewhat of a headache. I have a backup 8100 ready to go but it does not support the new BBM 5.0 I have been testing (EDIT: BBM 5.0 works fine on it. I used the Switch Device Wizard in the DM and it actually transferred).
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 07-27-2009 at 11:59 PM.

webstarr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, EricaJ,
    Have you taken your trackball out and looked around underneath it? It sounds like the contact pad beneath the trackball has come loose and is floating around inside your BB. The pad is a very small square with a copper bubble on it. if you do not see it underneath your trackball, it had come loose. As i understand, they can be reattached with a bit of clear double stick tape around the edges. If you have to replace it, they are running about $29.95 from a place called CellularDr. (Part #: PearlTrackBallContact).

I hope this helps!

steve2039 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    It does seem like the contact pad is off...its actually an easy fix, its just finding the part and as webstarr said, you can get them for right at $30
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

I'm not that good with taking electronics apart. What I meant was is there anything I can do WITHOUT taking the phone apart???

PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Take a small screwdriver to your trim ring and pry out easily....trackball should come right out and the piece should be right there...takes 2 minutes TOPS

Just got back from T-Mobile and they told me I have to reload their 4.5 OS with the battery and SIM card out to fix a hardware issue, and if that doesn't work, call their RIM CS rep and have them walk me through more troubleshooting before I can replace my phone??
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 07-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.

PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Tmobile is the one replacing the phone, not RIM CS. it sounds like they just didn't want to deal with it...

Have you tried calling tmo customer support? I think that depending on what you have left on contract( if anything) that if you explain the situation to them, they will actually probably help you...

Coming from corporate att, I knew/still know people that don't do any type of work they aren't paid for (I.e. any type of non new contract work). So maybe you got a bad consultant?

I will call them if it still doesn't work after reloading the software. I have 8 months left on my current contract. This was at a corporate store.

After 2 OS reloads (one with the battery in and the second with the battery out) I still have limited usage of the trackball.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2039 View Post
    Tmobile is the one replacing the phone, not RIM CS. it sounds like they just didn't want to deal with it...

Have you tried calling tmo customer support? I think that depending on what you have left on contract( if anything) that if you explain the situation to them, they will actually probably help you...

Coming from corporate att, I knew/still know people that don't do any type of work they aren't paid for (I.e. any type of non new contract work). So maybe you got a bad consultant?
    I went through that with a SideKick 2 a few years ago that didn't wanna charge properly. I ended up forking out $330 for a new SideKick 3 at a different corporate store. The in-store rep at the first store I went to said the phone was out of warranty (it was) but was zero assistance in helping extend my contract and getting a new phone.

PIN/ID
    30760CA8
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I went through that with a SideKick 2 a few years ago that didn't wanna charge properly. I ended up forking out $330 for a new SideKick 3 at a different corporate store. The in-store rep at the first store I went to said the phone was out of warranty (it was) but was zero assistance in helping extend my contract and getting a new phone.
    )
    thats weird....What state do you live in? Most cell phone carriers allow their reps (I've personally worked for sprint and AT&T) to make a "judgment" (sp) call on doing an early upgrade. Normally if i had a customer with a data plan or they wanted to up their services by getting a data plan or more text, as long as it was under 1 year left on contract i did it.

I would be willing to put money on it though that Tmobiles CS will help you out....

I'm in Texas LOL I will be calling them soon.

Just got off the phone with T-Mo CS. Had a very understanding rep, Tanya, who had another customer call her with the same problem and their phone was only a month old.

I will be receiving a replacement 8120 at no charge and I still get to keep my upgrade option for next March.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow, that's great news, Erica!

Yup. The only thing is that I'm gonna my 8120, which has been an almost constant companion for 14 months. I loved that phone even with its flaws. I kinda got attached to it LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast