I just got this phone over the weekend. I make it a point to go ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

BradB no está en línea Stack level 1

8120 Bluetooth to Garmin Nuvi 660

Advertisement

I just got this phone over the weekend. I make it a point to go through as much of the features as I can early so I can decide whether to keep it or not. The review is mixed so far.

I've worked through most of the issues myself except for a connection issue with my Garmin Nuvi 660. On Saturday I spent about an hour trying to get the 8120 to connect and stay connected to my Nuvi. It would connect and then within 5 second it disconnects. At some point i "pushed" the address book down to the Nuvi and all of the sudden it started working. Then the same thing happened this morning. I tried pushing the address book down again, but that trick didn't work this time.

Anyone tried the 8120 with a Garmin yet? I haven't had any issues connecting with other devices (including my 8100) on my Nuvi so the problem points back to the phone.

Any advise?

Thanks!!

I will answer my own question for now. I just updated my Garmin Nuvi from V3.9 to V4.3 and also updated the Bluetooth part odf the Nuvi firmware from V2.8 to V3.1.

I didn't give this much thought at first because my 8100 Pearl worked without any issues. But when I did this update everything seems to work. Of course it worked yesterday too, so lets see if it stay reliable;-)

On a side note .... I wish the 8120 supported the Text Message Bluetooth protocol so I could see the text messages coming into my phone when linked up with the Nuvi. Most Motorola's and Nokia's do that pretty well.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well this is no help to you but I had no idea I could connect my phone to a full GPS unit... I have been using the GPS puck/receiver. What is the point of connecting to your Garmin? I use the puck to get GPS directions through my phone. It seems that if you have the full GPS unit, you don't need to get your phone involved! What can you do with the two of them connected? I'm curious! Might be a new toy to try

BTW, did the update solve your issues?

The Garmin hangs on the window in my vehicle and is used as my raod navigator. Connecting the phone allows me to see who is calling (Comes up on the Garmin screen) and then use the Garmin as a speaker phone (hands free operation). It also makes dialing the phone much easier as you can do that through the Garmin or use the voice dialing feature through the GPS. Don't have to take my eyes off of the road much.

Did it fix my problem? I'll know better after a few days. I've not seen it work for more than 24 hours in a row. But it did begin workign immediately after I updated the firmware so I'm feeling good about it.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I hope it was a permanent fix! Might have to check into a dedicated GPS unit - didn't know they could do all of that...