Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my friend had a blackberry 8100 with wifi on it before he started getting an ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

krazilly no está en línea Stack level 2

8100 with wifi

Advertisement

my friend had a blackberry 8100 with wifi on it before he started getting an error where the phone only had the option to reset. I did a little reading an learned how to reinstall the os for the phone before asking for help. I know that the 8100 doesnt support wifi but his had it. But since i wiped the phone an installed a different os the wifi option is gone. help plz!!!

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Are you sure it really had wifi (working and tested) or was it just an option? Or maybe your friend just had an incorrect os already installed on there? Maybe he (or she) had installed firmware for an 8120, 8130 perhaps?
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The 8100 didn't have wi-fi capability. Maybe he had the 8120 which does have wi-fi capability. I don't think you could install the OS for anything OTHER than the 8100 for the 8100. That's a confusing proposal you have posted.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    ask me
    I THINK you could pull that off if you manually edit the device.xml file... Emphasis on the think... Aka fooling the comp to think its a diff device... Crazy theory... I know... I do that sometimes... But sometimes thinking outside the box helps right...

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    I don't think it's possible to even edit the device.xml file, I assume there would be some hardware that is needed to have fully functional Wifi on a model that was not meant to have it.......

PIN/ID
    ask me
    I definately agree on that... You can't make a device use a radio that isn't there... But the devicr.xml can simply be edited with a text editor...

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    What he is saying is that if somehow one did get it to go on there, the option would be available on the menu or the icon would be there in the appscreen and all that.. He is not saying that it would make the phone have wifi...

However I think this whole thing is a case of somethine mixed up somewhere... are sure your dealing with an 8100 ? and is he sure it was wifi and not something else, like regular old interenet that he thinks is wifi? or maybe bluetooth or something
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

i am positive that is is an 8100 and not the 8120 because i own an 8120. the phone had the option before the error stated above he said it worked and everything. so that is where i am lost. but i am just wondering because i know RIM didn't make that type with wifi.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    How about you pop it open and read the label in the back and confirm... That'll let me sleep at night... because nothing about this is making sense anymore...

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    How about you pop it open and read the label in the back and confirm... That'll let me sleep at night... because nothing about this is making sense anymore...
    Makes no sense to me either unless you have an 8120 in an 8100 case - don't think that would fit BTW. Maybe popping the back open is a good idea though. I'd be resolute in saying a prodution 8100 is incapable of wi-fi. I've had them both at one time.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    ask me
    I'm sure the OS could have had an option for GPS to be used with an external bluetooth device... Past that, its impossible for the 8100 to have a functioning gps unit built into it...

Can we get more details?

1. What carrier is the device branded to?
    2. What carrier are you using
    3. What OS was previously installed? (Was it the branded carrier's OS or a different one)
    4. What OS did you install this time...

Let me explain my questions. I purchased an Etisalat branded BOLD. Although it came factory unlocked, it was branded to the carrier Etisalat.and when I installed an OS other than one issued by the carrier, the GPS option completely disappeared from the options. Basically as if you didn't have drivers installed for your sound card, it was still there but the computer couldn't see it.

Later when I "debranded" my device (it no longer boots to an Etisalat screen), my GPS function worked perfectly with any OS version.

The point to this is that its possible that there was an option for GPS in the setup menu, to be used with an external device, and when you upgraded to a non vendor approved OS, the GPS option may have disappeared...

If you can answer the questions I have asked above, we may be able to pinpoint the problem and look for a resolution accordingly...

ALSO, the easiest way to find out if the device is in original casing (not an 8120 in an 8100 case) is to verify the PIN and IMEI within the status tab to be the same as the pin and imei on the label...

Let's get our hands dirty on this one and help this guy out...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

well as i said before its not my phone the next time ill be seeing the person is Tuesday so until then i guess i am baffled just like everyone else i just wanted to know that i was not in some other world. and could someone please explain to me what reddrvgon means by "popping" and how do you debrand? still a noob but i think im doing good

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Popping means taking the back cover off and looking under the battery. Debranding means a device came from RIM without any carrier name on it.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Isn't wifi done through hardware and software? I don't see how a true 8100, without the hardware, could possibly work even if the software were installed. If it is an 8100 then it must have been altered if the wifi really worked. Where did your friend get the phone? This is definitely puzzeling.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Did you actually see the wifi connection icon? Did he actually go to set up a connection on wifi? Are you sure he wasnt just using his phone plan to view internet and thinks that is wifi? lol
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast