I just bought another 8100, I know, I know. Anyway, I downloaded a theme onto ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

8100 theme not showing up

Advertisement

I just bought another 8100, I know, I know. Anyway, I downloaded a theme onto it and its showing up in the Application list, but not where they usually do with the factory themes, any suggestions folks?

tfrankson no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2845FBAD
    Try a battery pull.

PIN/ID
    nada
    did that, even downloaded the phones OS to my PC-Ive done this 50 times, I just dont understand why. I might have to download the latest OS onto the pearl and go from there I guess

PIN/ID
    nada
    I just dont understand why its showing up in the Apps list but not displayed in the themes list

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    1 of two things...since its a NEW pearl.

1) if it was never updated and still has the original os (.71 or lower) it may not have the theme reader on it (or the theme reader on it doesn't match the OS)

2) the theme was exported wrong

IF you can successfully install one of my themes, its #2. if you cannot, its #1 and an OS update will fix you right up

The original OS that the pearl was shipped with, consequently, had an 'unmatching' theme reader loaded on it...

PIN/ID
    nada
    thanks Cherri, its not a new one. the OS on the phone is 4.2.0. 73 I thought most or all themes were compatible with 4.2 or higher OS

PIN/ID
    ATA
    well, when i mean new, i mean new to you

you can check the theme reader version this way:
    go to options/advanced options/applications
    then choose menu/modules

you should have an entry for com_plazmic_themereader
    is it 4.2.0.73? if not, then there lies your problem they have to match...updating the OS will resolve. IF they do match, then the theme was exported wrong (should be exported to 4.2.0 for every pearl, so that this doesn't happen AND everyone can download the theme ... if its exported for 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 then only those with THAT OS can use it) make sense? i hope so

PIN/ID
    nada
    yes, it makes sense, thanks again Cherri. I do have one quick question while Ive got you "on the line". I think I will download the latest OS to this phone. my question-when I do this I know I have to delete the vendor files in the DTM thats specified for that OS, right?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    ^^Yes, whatever OS you download you will need to delete the vendor files specific to that OS.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    yes, it makes sense, thanks again Cherri. I do have one quick question while Ive got you "on the line". I think I will download the latest OS to this phone. my question-when I do this I know I have to delete the vendor files in the DTM thats specified for that OS, right?
    chokem, use jerry's blog post here for the latest pearl OS and yes, delete the vendor.xml file if you download a carrier OS different from your own

PIN/ID
    nada
    OK, thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

PIN/ID
    nada
    the theme reader is 4.2.0.73. So that means the themes Ive been trying to download are for 4.2.1 or higher. So I guess I need to upgrade my OS, huh? Or find some 4.0 themes, I really dont want to upgrade, can you direct me to some 4.0 themes?

PIN/ID
    ATA
    sorry bud .. i can only comment on mine, of which every pearl theme i have will work for you ... others are hit/miss. most of the new ones *should* work, as i have tried to catch the new theme builders and let them know how to export.

if you have issues with a certain theme, just PM the creator and let them know of the issue. im sure they will be more than happy to re-export. its not that hard, and no changes have to be made to the theme ...

PIN/ID
    nada
    Hey thanks again for you help Cherri