Hi All, My 8100 doesn't get very good reception. I've had 1 opportunity to compare ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rbktouhey no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8100 poor signal strength

Advertisement

Hi All,

My 8100 doesn't get very good reception. I've had 1 opportunity to compare it with a new Curve (in April). It worked where my 8100 couldn't. Both phones use TMobile.

Will a different phone improve "coverage" ? ie. 8120/8320 ?
    Can the 8100 be tweaked to improve coverage ?

D

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Welcome to the Stacks.

Sorry to hear about the reception issues. The device's reception should not vary unless there is a defect w/the device. I have the Pearl 8130 and the Curve 8330, their signal strengths are the same at all times. I highly doubt it is an OS issue. I don't know much about T-mobile, do they offer the option to update roaming capabilities like VZW? If so, it should be *228 send-select option 2. After the update is successful, do a full power-off of the device. Sometimes you might need to go to "manage connections" on you apps menu and turn on mobile network by checking the box. (But this is only if the device powers up w/no signal at all...which has happened w/me.) Maybe another T-mobile user will chime in on the over-the-programing to confirm. Good luck.

kenvan60 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    I don't think the pearl has a antenna, and some of the newer units do, so yes, it's possible. There isn't anything you can do accept buy an external antenna.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I believe "updating roaming capabilities" (or towers) is a CDMA function only - I know that Alltel does that too - and that neither T-Mo nor AT&T can offer that feature.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-11-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Thanks for coming to the rescue guys. Outside of VZW, I get lost.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by kenvan60 View Post
    I don't think the pearl has a antenna, and some of the newer units do, so yes, it's possible. There isn't anything you can do accept buy an external antenna.
    There's an antenne integrated into the device just like some of the 7250 and 8700 models. There is nothing externally to extend though. An external add on antenna or signal booster may work. But not one of those sticker antennas. Someone once posted the putting a strip of foil between the battery and battery cover helped with reception, but YMMV.

kenvan60 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    I stand corrected. Thanks DCookSta, however technology being what it is, I think its fair to assume that a antenna 2-3 years old is light years behind the newer stuff coming out. I did mean an EXTERNAL antenna as a possibility, although it would be really inconvenient to carry around and use.

Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Someone once posted the putting a strip of foil between the battery and battery cover helped with reception, but YMMV.
    Been racking my brain on this one DCook..... YMMV = ?

~via BB 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

rbktouhey no está en línea Stack level 1
    Your Mileage May Vary ( i think )

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yes indeed, your milage may vary. Classic fat wallet post!
    I tried the foil and my signal strength got weaker by 3 to 5 dbl's.

Dvl636_BB no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me ;)
    Weaker meaning it went from like -80dB to -85dB for example?

~via BB 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    Yes.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yeah, the foil thing is going to be hit and miss (there's a reason these cases are predominantly plastic you know

rbktouhey - contrary to what was expressed here, updates to the software can make dramatic differences in device behavior (including battery life and how well the cellular radio operates). On that note, there's two possibilities: 1) Your pearl may have been one of the first to ship, there may have been updates after the fact. 2) The 4.5 code, when it ships, may give you better functionality.
    At the very least, check your carrier's and RIM's site to see that you're running the latest version of code that's been blessed for your device.