Yesterday photos of RIM's replacement for the 71xx series, the BlackBerry 8100 were released . ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

8100 pics leaked on the net. A good thing for RIM?

Advertisement

Yesterday photos of RIM's replacement for the 71xx series, the BlackBerry 8100 were released. Some things to note, the media player, video, removable memory slot and photos! Pretty exciting!! However, do you think the leak of these photos helps RIM? Alerts compeditors early and hurts RIM? or Maybe you think RIM intentionally made the leak to create hype? Your thoughts are welcomed...

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: 8100 pics leaked on the net. A good thing for RIM?

Only way I would see RIM purposely leaking the pictures to the public would be if the device was going to be released here soon, other than that, I agree with the fact that it could in all actuallity hurt RIM because you never let your enemy know what you are thinking until you have actually done it.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

I’ve just contacted a RIM employee who signed up here a while back, confirming it's not from RIM and they are investigating how pics got out.

The so-called good thing is, it will be released earlier than RIM’s plan, that's a given. However, look for the device to have issues in built quality or OS related due to lack of testing. The 8700c had this when released almost 2 months early due to photos leaked on the web. I know this gets under RIM's skin because they made sure not to posts any photos of the 8707v on the Government's FCC website until after its launch in Germany. Whereas the previous releases were free for alls before launch (no one paid much attention back then ).

Testing is a crutial factor to any new product and esp the Blackberry as it has high standards to maintain. BlackBerry users were UNFORGIVING!!! with the 8700c which had the dust under the screen early launch issue. Time will tell.

Another good read:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08...0_pics_posted/

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

The best way to get attention and build buzz is to release pictures under the table. When asked, deny deny deny.
    Who knows?
    I doubt it will do much harm to RIM, maybe the opposite. And the phone is to be released, what in Novemeber, maybe sooner on Tmo.... remember this came from me, as I will probably never say it again.... but that is not very far away. 3 Months....
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

I completely agree with Melissa. I think they are TRYING to create a buzz, gather market info, and build excitement. With the first "consumer" Blackberry quickly forthcoming, the greater the buzz the better ( As long as I dont have issues getting mine =) )
    I dont think RIM has any concerns here about leaking pictures. Their patent applications were posted everywhere, Jim Basille (sp?) announced the companies' intentions of creating a more consumer friendly product, and everyone knew it was coming down the pike. Why not build excitement? Just my take.
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

I totally agree with N8, if its to be released soon, fine, otherwise it may hurt a little!

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I still like that new BB with the full QWERTY in the other thread. I hope Nextel picks up that one.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I hope it comes out soon. I love the way it looks. Much better than the 7130 that Cingular has. Only thing is I am still waiting to see which 7130 device TMobile gets, the one that's similar to Cingular's model or the one first released by O2. That would help me make my decision.

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Oh it's so pretty... i want i want and i don't even know how to fully use the one i've got! I'm a sick sick lady..LOL
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

From the stories I've been reading, it's some sort of "Beta-Tester" that took the pics. And apparently they actually had the phone and was using it. Would RIM actually release a phone for testing out in public, even if it were an employee? Wouldn't lots of people see it? I get asked about my phone all the time, and it's already released.
    I wouldn't say it hurts RIM, expecially only a month away from launch. It did make their stock rally on up, albeit only for a short time. I think it creates excitement for the brand and chit-chat on the blogs and boards is never a bad thing for a company. The only thing that may be bad would be those folks about to purchase a 7130 or an 8700 that are going to wait till next month. But, let's be honest folks, that's progress.

prockn2red no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244DB61F
    I dont know if this is true or not but looking at it from a marketing perspective or a PR view point, its a great tatic. Release one pic of a new device and as you can see from this post, people who love the RIM phones and thier product will be creating the buzz for them. RIM just has to sit back and let word of mouth take charge.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    this thread is almost two years old