Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Does anyone know how to use this using a Mac operating system?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lennyreg no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: 8100 Pearl as Laptop Modem

Advertisement

Does anyone know how to use this using a Mac operating system?

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Re: 8100 Pearl as Laptop Modem

as for accepting calls while you're tethered it isn't possible...you either use the pearl as a modem or for phone calls...unfortunately the processing power of the pearl isn't up to the task as you can see if you have too many apps running @ the same time...also if you're in a call you cannot alt+backspace to a browser session during your call...it will ask you if you want to continue the call or start a browser session...most i can figure it's the limitations of the pearl's hardware...don't think it's a software issue but only future OS releases will prove me right or wrong on that

as far as i know also you can send/receive SMS/MMS/e-mail during any tethered session because it's all DATA...where as phone call is on different spectrum

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda

Re: 8100 Pearl as Laptop Modem

Will this work with Vista Ultimate cause I'm getting nothing

sheka no está en línea Stack level 1
    When I try to tether my modem I get error 692. Can anyone help me . Plz

MrDavv no está en línea Stack level 2
    See if this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
    I was getting the error 692 also, here is what you have to do to get around it....

- Network Connections... Double click your modem
    - On the Connect screen.. Click on Properties (bottom right hand side of screen)
    - On the Properties Page... Click on Configure
    - On the Modem Configuration Page... Make sure that all three Check boxes are UNCHECKED
    - Click OK-OK-Dial

This solved my problem right away!!

Hope it helps,
    Louis

zago66 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Great stuff..
    I am able to connect at 115kbps, with USB and Desktop Manager on or Bluetooth..
    Set up two modems as per the instructions...
    Question then... am i tethering via dial-up therefore the phone line ? hence moving to a 3G phone from my Edge 8100 will not increase speed ?
    Can you tether and use your data speeds ?
    Or is that what apps like "TetherBerry" are for ?
    "My mind is like a steel trap.... rusty and illegal in 37 states"

Tethering uses the data speeds. If you change your phone from EDGE to 3G, you will see a speed difference. If you are connected by usb cable, the Windows dialup/serial speed is not relevant. I connect my phone by USB and use Wifi and get pretty fast speeds.. Faster then 3G. If you use bluetooth your max speed may be limited by the max xfer throughput of bluetooth. Basically your connection speed is dependent upon your data speed.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

zago66 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Thanks for that quick response MrDavv....
    makes sense..
    So when i am connected then i am drawing down on my 1G data plan rather than my minutes plan ?
    Haven't noticed a difference between USB connected or Bluetooth yet ? But not sure I was looking for it..... great info !
    "My mind is like a steel trap.... rusty and illegal in 37 states"

Tethering uses your data connection, not your voice channel. Speeds are dependent on your data speed (unless the carrier proxy server is limiting). Test download a smaller size file so you can over USB vs bluetooth to see generally how many KB/s you get.

NOTE: I'm not familiar with Rogers, but please verify if you can tether without extra fees or be on a tethering plan. Otherwise you may be bitten with very high fees.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234