I've been checking bbrepairshop, promobility and pdaparts daily since my 8100 screen is a gonner. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

scotgsxr no está en línea Stack level 1

8100 lens

Advertisement

I've been checking bbrepairshop, promobility and pdaparts daily since my 8100 screen is a gonner.
    It looks like bbrepairshop finally has some parts other than the battery door.

I have bought the do-it-yourself replacement lens. It doesn't seem to be the OEM piece, but rather an aftermarket part. I'm hoping the quality is good. I can't wait to see how it looks, and hope I don't break the unit, specifically the chin cap taking it apart...

One drawback, no "Blackberry" text above the screen, but not a huge deal for me.

Hopefully soon there will be full white and red housing and keyboards on the way soon .

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: 8100 lens

Cool, I didn't even know they had that many parts already.
    Sweet!

I've received the lens. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera besides the Pearl, so there are no pictures.

There were no instructions included, but the lens itself is actually glued to the front of the body. So with a small Buck knife and some gumption, I started working under the lens at the top of the Pearl, above the chrome piece. Knowing how delicate this chrome piece alone can be, I went very slowly, using the blade edge to separate the lens from the body. I got a little excited, and applied too much pressure as the lens started coming loose, cracking the existing lens below the "Blackberry" text. At this point, I moved towards the sides around the screen, keeping the blade under the lens but on the small ledge on the sides. After one pass, on each side, the rest of the lens came off, leaving a gummy glue residue. It's almost like black rubber cement.

After carefully cleaning off the glue left from the original lens, I removed the protective backing from the replacement lens, and applied it to the pearl. It took two tries to get the lens in place, because I left the clear plastic on the front on and it overlapped the left edge. Also, since I'd left the plastic on, I couldn't see the inside clearly, and noticed a small hair looking piece on the inside after I applied. I took a chance and was able to successfully remove the freshly applied lens and using windex remove all the hair like piece, and reinstall.

Observations:

The piece I received was high quality, and the fit is exact. The border around the clear window is black. I have a slate Cingular Pearl, but if you have a black T-mobile Pearl, I'm guessing it would match perfectly.

I'm really happy with the results over my practically destroyed original screen. If I had to do it again, I would be more careful. I would remove the clear protective piece before applying the lens, and inspect/clean the inside of the screen prior to installing.

I think I was very lucky, but it didn't seem to complex. As with anything, do this at YOUR OWN RISK, as I'm sure this will void your warranty.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

are you a writer??

your last post had me wanting more to read

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Congrats and thank you for the update!
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Quote Originally Posted by glehman85
    are you a writer??

your last post had me wanting more to read
    Nope, just an excited Blackberry owner .