Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys, I am new to the BB world! I need some help! I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jsimms243 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D71EB

8100 cannot connect to DM, but PC sees BB! Help!

Advertisement

Hey guys, I am new to the BB world! I need some help! I have seen other similar posts, but nothing with my exact problem. I am not sure what is causing it, so I am going to go through every step to see if anyone can tell where the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

I install desktop manager from the included CD, software installs with no problems or error messages. I plug my phone into a USB port in my computer. The phone displays that it cannot charge due to insufficient power (just a note incase that means anything to anyone). I open DM, and everytime I open the software I get the message "use the 'connection settings' dialog under the Options menu to specify the communication you wish to use." So each time I go into the connection settings menu, specify that it will be a USB conenction, and click "detect". Each time I get a message saying "device not found."

Note that when you go into device manager the phone IS displayed under "disk drives" as "RIM BlackberrySdcard USB Device" - so the COMPUTER can see the BB, but DM cannot make a connection to the phone.

Also note that I downloaded the latest DM from T-Mobile and get the exact same results.

So while reading these forums I see someone saying something about how sometimes the USB drivers may not install off of the CD, therefore, I do a windows "search" for "usb" on the CD-ROM. The results I get are the following three items:

RimUsb.sys1.191E2C0C_5A62_43E3_B035_65A75A080800
    rimusbnt.cat.191E2C0C_5A62_43E3_B035_65A75A080800
    RimUsbNT.inf.191E2C0C_5A62_43E3_B035_65A75A080800

I find that these files in are a .cab file named "data.cab"

I extract this file into an empty new folder to attempt installing these drivers. I go into device manager, right click on the phone's description of "RIM BlackberrySdcard USB Device" and select "update driver." I tell it from "specific location" and target the new folder where I extracted the data.cab file with the USB files inside. When I try to target this folder the "ok" button will not light up to give me the option to install files from this folder, as if there are not valid usb files within that folder.

I also extracted data.cab from the newer DM from T-Mobile's website and attempted to install the USB drivers. I got a minor step farther. I WAS able to select the "ok" button this time, but I was quickly stopped with a "the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

So I am out of ideas guys. The only possible problem I can think of is that I am running Windows XP 64 bit. Is there some kind of fix, or does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Again, thanks in advance!
    Justin

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Re: 8100 cannot connect to DM, but PC sees BB! Help!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Justin,
    Welcome to the stacks! I'm driving so I can't delve into this too much but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Good luck and if nobody has helped when I get home, I'll offer some assistance!

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

I have had this happen to me before, Cant remember what fixed it but just wondering have you restarted your computer and have you tried all your USB ports?

Lynza no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DF2024

If you're getting the "not enough power" message it typically means you're using a non-USB2 or non-powered USB port. This is pretty typical with Dells and Gateways, older ones (2-4 years). You may need to buy a powered USB hub if your computer does not supply enough power, but I *think* it's unnecessary for transfer, it just won't charge without it.

I had the same problem - do you know what USB chipset your computer uses? If it's VIA, I would recommend going to the motherboard/manufacturer (for Dells, etc.) website and getting the latest VIA driver. This is what finally worked for me. If you don't know what the mobo is, you can go to viaarena.com (or .net, I can't remember offhand) and get the latest 4-in-1 drivers.

I wish you luck, it took me a few days to get mine working.

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    I have had this happen to me before, Cant remember what fixed it but just wondering have you restarted your computer and have you tried all your USB ports?
    Yes, I have restarted several times and I have tried all USB ports.

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

Quote Originally Posted by Lynza
    I had the same problem - do you know what USB chipset your computer uses? If it's VIA, I would recommend going to the motherboard/manufacturer (for Dells, etc.) website and getting the latest VIA driver. This is what finally worked for me. If you don't know what the mobo is, you can go to viaarena.com (or .net, I can't remember offhand) and get the latest 4-in-1 drivers.
    I would guess that it's nVidia because a lot of the chipsets on my motherboard are nVidia (such as the ethernet controller). You gave me a couple ideas... I assume this is what you mean by updating the driver... I went to Asus (motherboard manufacturer) website and downloaded and installed pretty much everything that was available... I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers which update several things (didn't mention anything about USB but I did it anyways). I also flashed the latest BIOS. I still have no results

Help!! What should I do?? I am so sad.

Justin

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jsimms243, Welcome to PinStack,

RIM BlackberrySdcard USB Device
    It appears that your PC is detecting the microSD Chip in your BB, but not the BB itself. You need to find the BB Driver.

Don't really know how to find it but you might search the Blackberry Knowledge Center.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

JSImms,

Go into your PC's Device Manager. (Right CLick on "My Computer, choose the Hardware Tab and click Device Manager).

From there scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" Do you see an exclamation point over one of them? If you do, you can right click and go to update driver. From there you can search the CD that came with the BB and Windows should find the driver and install it.

Let us know how you're making out.

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    It appears that your PC is detecting the microSD Chip in your BB, but not the BB itself. You need to find the BB Driver.
    Not sure if you mean the internal memory or you're assuming that I have installed a SD card. I actually have not put any extra memory in the phone yet. I am running off of the internal built in memory so far.

Justin

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

Quote Originally Posted by twheeler
    JSImms,

Go into your PC's Device Manager. (Right CLick on "My Computer, choose the Hardware Tab and click Device Manager).

From there scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" Do you see an exclamation point over one of them? If you do, you can right click and go to update driver. From there you can search the CD that came with the BB and Windows should find the driver and install it.

Let us know how you're making out.
    All USB devices appear to be functioning properly... no explamation points or questions marks.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really apprecate it. Keep it coming, though!

Justin

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by jsimms243
    I am running off of the internal built in memory so far.
    Apparently that is the BB driver for the Pearl then. Try this then. Find that driver in the PC's Device Manager and delete it. Reboot, then connect your Pearl and see if it finds it again and tries to install the driver. Let it install if it does and see if that works.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Did you see "blackberry device" as one of the USB listings?

if not then you are for sure not getting the driver installed. the Windows XP driver is not complete enough for the 8100 to charge. you have to install Desktop Manager 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by jsimms243
    All USB devices appear to be functioning properly... no explamation points or questions marks.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really apprecate it. Keep it coming, though!

Justin

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I know this is going to sound dumb, but oh well, here it goes:

You DO have desktop manager 4.2 loaded onto your computer right, and not desktop manager 4.1?

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

Quote Originally Posted by n8dbb
    You DO have desktop manager 4.2 loaded onto your computer right, and not desktop manager 4.1?
    Yes, I have DM 4.2 installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Find that driver in the PC's Device Manager and delete it. Reboot, then connect your Pearl and see if it finds it again and tries to install the driver.
    I did this. It still detects the phone in the same way.

So I have some new information that may help you guys figure out where the problem may be. While I was looking through device manager I noticed that the BB DOES list itself under USB devices (but as a "Mass Storage Device") and of course also listed under "disk drives" is still "RIM BlackberrySdcard USB Device."

Now the GOOD part: Under the "driver" tab I have this driver information: driver provider: Microsoft; driver date: 10/1/2002; driver version: 5.2.3790.1830.

Evidently I am running on the standard OLD Microsoft drivers. I do not understand why even after having installed DM 4.2 and uninstalling my phone completely from device manager, why can the computer not get the correct drivers for my phone? I even extracted the DM 4.2 files to a new folder, and extracted the data.cab files to the same folder and attempted to update the drivers for the "mass storage device" found but it will not take anything!

Hope this helps guys, next....

Thanks, Justin

PIN/ID
    204D71EB

So here is some new information guys. I had my brother bring me my laptop which he typically always borrows. This is a pretty old laptop, but it does run WinXP. I try to use the laptop with me BB and it works fine. It detects the phone all the way. It lists the phone as "blackberry device" under "USB devices" instead of "mass storage device" etc. etc. and it appears to work with DM.

What do you gusy think? The laptop is 32 bit XP, the desktop (where I have been having the problems) is 64 bit XP. I would love to be able to do my BB stuff on my desktop since it is fast, anyone have any other ideas or do we believe it is the 64 bit 32 bit problem. If so, is there a fix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast