The phone works great as a tethered modem with tmobile. The only problem is I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sharklover no está en línea Stack level 1

8100 as tethered modem and VPN

Advertisement

The phone works great as a tethered modem with tmobile. The only problem is I cannot connect to a VPN. Has anyone been able to connect to a VPN with the phone? If so please can you let me know how you do it.

Also is it possible to use the phone as a modem using bluetooth?

Thanks for your help

NewVMan no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8100 as tethered modem and VPN

Believe you need to use a different AP other than wap.voicestream.net for VPN access, think it is either internet3.voicestream.com and internet2.voicestream.com. You will probably need to call tech. support for access.

sharklover no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks I tried this but it still did not work. Are you entering this on the phone or on you computer? I have all the info on the computer. Any help with connecting to a VPN would really help me. Has anyone been able to connect to a VPN? If so please tell me how. Tmobile says they do not support connecting to a VPN.

Thanks

NewVMan no está en línea Stack level 1

Tried it this morning using WAP (normal access settings) and was able to connect to my VPN. We use Contivity software so it may not be the same for all VPN systems. I was able to connect, browse the office intranet, open Outlook and connect to the Exchange server, etc. no problem.

Sorry, wish I had something helpful to add beyond that it works for me.

lux
    lux no está en línea Stack level 2

I use my Pearl (T-Mobile) as a modem almost every day with my corporate laptop and our VPN using "Aventail Connect".

worked fine for me without any need for tweaking anything special...

if you are try to connect to a VPN for work, you should contact your technology services department to see if they can help you find a solution

jerfusmc no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    244afda4

Yes, I recently set up my pearl to use as a modem. Exactly for that reason. In case of an emergency I can use it. I used VPN and was able to remote in to another machine with hardly any lag even with the dial up speed. Also using tmoblie. Used cisco vpn client no problem.

technerd no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello, I searched for "VPN" and came across this thread...

Lux, how did you get your Pearl to do VPN???

I've been told by T-Mobile that it isn't possible to use a Blackberry to do VPN - that there's something to do with the encryption b/w it and RIM that won't allow it....

We're using an Enterprise server and have 24 users.

If there's ANYONE out there who knows of a workaround, I'd very much like to know...

I've tried changing the 'advanced' settings on the modem properties to "internet3.voicestream.com" but it doesn't seem to work...

Again, ANY help appreciated!

Thanks!

technerd no está en línea Stack level 1

Seriously, there should be a way to do this.

I cannot believe that RIM would specifically disallow the use of VPN through their devices...

Guess the question still remains for the OP, and at least for myself...
    Can you use VPN through a Blackberry acting as a tethered modem?

If so, then how?

I was able to get VPN software to say it was connected, but couldn't do anything after that. It also kept disconnecting randomly. Using Cisco VPN client on a laptop.

T-Mobile claims it's not possible - Lux got it working with Aventail. Guess that's a different method of connecting, and I doubt that lots and lots of people will up and buy a new VPN solution when the one they have works perfectly fine in most other situations...........

So, I'm thinking there has to be a way.

Why can't one switch the Blackberry into some mode that allows the use of T-Mobile's "internet3" so that VPN will work???
    Who cares if it stops getting email whilst connected to your work computer???
    Who cares if it's inconvenient to switch between modes.

There just has to be a way. I'm shocked that such a "business friendly" unit cannot be made to allow VPN through its modem connection...