I had a 7100t and just got a pearl. The power adapter for the 7100 ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9

7100 power adapter for pearl and vice versa?

Advertisement

I had a 7100t and just got a pearl. The power adapter for the 7100 is much nicer and I was wondering if I could use it. The plugs at the same.

Pearl:
    output- 5V c.c 0,75A

7100:
    output- 5Vc.c 0,5A

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: 7100 power adapter for pearl and vice versa?

I have to be honest with you, I use mine from my 7100i and I haven't had any problems!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

I interchange mine all the time. I still use mine for my 7100g too
    I don't think it really matters.

tjoanne no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304845CB

it might, my 8700g charger, messed up my pearl usb port
    ~*TJ*~

courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9

What is the output on the 8700g? It is a much larger device and may have a higher output.

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm reading that the 8700g's chargers power rating is 5.0vdc@750mA (also saw one that said 1000mA).

So they, both the Pearl and 8700g chargers, are at 5 volts output voltage. So far so good.

As for the milli Amps its my understanding that a device only uses as much amperage as it needs. So the 8700's charger meets (possibly exceeds) the Pearls 750mA requirement. So even if it exceeds this should have been fine as well. Weird that the 8700's charger ruined your Pearls USB port.

I do not have a Pearl charger here at work to check but a couple sites reported it as being 5.3 volts (instead of 5) - can't verify this until I go home. Its a very slight voltage difference if this is the case. Yet perhaps over time this might cause damage.

As for using the 7100's charger I would be a bit more concerned as its designed for 500mA and the Pearl could require up to 750mA. The most likely fault to occur here though would be the charger getting REALLY hot if the Pearl draws more current then it is designed to output. Possibly resulting in the failing of the charger.

I'd like to place a multimeter inline between the charger and Pearl too see how much amperage it draws at idle (with and without display on), while playing mutlimedia applications and while chatting on the phone.

Bill

Bill