Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey guys, I've been browsing around the forum for about an hour or so now ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rebels no está en línea Stack level 2

4.5 to 4.3 General Question..

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I've been browsing around the forum for about an hour or so now trying to figure out how to properly downgrade from 4.5 to 4.3.

I uninstalled 4.5 and have 4.3 on there (disc came with my 8120 when I bought it), deleted the vendor file, and it still won't prompt me to downgrade.

I get this message when I click on AppLoader:

Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing incorrectly here? I just want to get back to my 4.3 OS and be done with it.

Thanks!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Go to your Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features on Vista) and see if there is anything called BlackBerry Device Software.

The disk that comes with the device is usually Desktop Manager and not the OS, so I'm betting that you won't find an OS on your computer in which case you'll need to find and download the 4.3 OS.

Any reason you need to downgrade?

Roger

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Looks like you either don't have the OS installed to your PC or its for the wrong device. Go to add/remove programs and be sure that this is not the case first.

If you are sure that is all correct then there are other things to look at.

I went in to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and there is nothing left that relates to the BlackBerry.

I Google'd the 4.3 version and downloaded it from RIM's website and installed the desktop manager that I downloaded and that's all I did for the most part.

Is the OS different than the desktop manager version?

4.5 is just running a lot slower than 4.3 or 4.2 or whatever version I had before.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The operating system and Desktop manager are to seperate things. If you go to the link in my sig you will find threads for Operating Systems by device.

Okay, so if you go back into the Control Panel, you should have two things:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    BlackBerry Device Software

If you have those two things, you're good to go. You said you downloaded the OS from RIM's website? Who is your carrier? You should probably navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader, find and delete the vendor.xml file. Then, connect to the PC, launch DM and it should recognize that the OS on your PC is an older version than what's on your device and prompt you for the downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Okay, so if you go back into the Control Panel, you should have two things:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    BlackBerry Device Software

If you have those two things, you're good to go. You said you downloaded the OS from RIM's website? Who is your carrier? You should probably navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader, find and delete the vendor.xml file. Then, connect to the PC, launch DM and it should recognize that the OS on your PC is an older version than what's on your device and prompt you for the downgrade.
    The only thing in my Add/Remove is "BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.3".

The version that is installed on the computer now is the one that was on the CD that came with the phone when I purchased it. I CAN download it from the website if I want, but I don't see what the difference would be.

I have T-Mobile and the one that comes up is 4.5 or 4.6 when I enter my phone number. I'm assuming I just need to download the 4.3 OS now? How do I go about loading it when I do get it downloaded?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    What version of the pearl do you have?

You can go here and find it from your carrier.

You will need to download then run it on your PC.

Once you have done that it should be noticed by desktop manager.

Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but I am really going to downgrade now. I've been running 4.5 since I originally posted the thread and it hasn't been anything wonderful at all. I only upgraded so I could watch YouTube videos but I don't even do that much anymore.

- 4.5 makes my phone restart every day (usually twice a day)
    - My notification light in the upper right corner blinks even after I open the message
    - Everything runs a lot slower than the previous version I had and I don't have any external applications open either

I'm on T-Mobile's website downloading the 'BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.3.0.135 (Multilanguage)'. So if I go in and delete the vendor.xml file after installing this software, it should downgrade, right?

I'm still a bit confused on the Desktop Manager Software and the OS Software. Where exactly do I download the OS software? I know where to get the Desktop Manager and stuff.. but where for the others?

Thanks!

You said you are on T-Mobile's website downloading the Handheld Software which is the OS (Operating System). If you've got the Desktop Manager, you should be good to go. If your carrier is T-Mobile, then you don't need to delete the vendor.xml file.

Once the OS is downloaded and installed, connect your device to the PC via the USB cable, launch the Desktop Manager and if the only OS on your PC is the 4.3 software you're downloading now, you should be prompted to downgrade.

Keep us posted!

Roger

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    T-Mobile has officially released a version of 4.5 for the Pearl and it works great on my wife's 8120. Connect your device to the PC and go here in Internet Explorer and you should receive the newest software from your carrier for the device. If you really want to downgrade, make sure all instances of Blackberry Software are removed from your system and install the file you mentioned. It should then allow you to downgrade.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

I downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Manager (Version 4.3.0.17). I uninstalled the previous version and installed this one and nothing happens when I plug my phone in. It doesn't prompt me to downgrade or anything. I did what MStrawder did and downloaded the new firmware (or whatever it is) and I'm going to see how this goes.

Hopefully this one will run smoother than my previous version. I'll post back if this one doesn't work out too well.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you....

Did you uninstall the DM before or after you downloaded the OS?

This thread will help you along with instructions.....

Never mind. I guess you've got a new OS on your device already......hope it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast