I have an unlocked pearl and want to know if it is capable of 3G ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dofelmiert no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C6D0A

3G on the pearl

Advertisement

I have an unlocked pearl and want to know if it is capable of 3G data on a supporting network? If so what networks in the USA? If not who supports the fastest data? Also is there any way I can use my BB in Japan? Is it a hardware or software problem? Thanks!

Szadzik no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E23EA8

Re: 3G on the pearl

Quote Originally Posted by dofelmiert
    I have an unlocked pearl and want to know if it is capable of 3G data on a supporting network? If so what networks in the USA? If not who supports the fastest data? Also is there any way I can use my BB in Japan? Is it a hardware or software problem? Thanks!
    Nope,the Pearl is only capable of registering to GSM networks. Alternatively you can use EDGE, which is an enhanced version of GPRS.
    Phone Tales:
    OT MaxDB, CD1, CD5, J5, GD96, ME45, T68i, X6, CX65, A925, E398, MPx200, X6-2, OT715, D600E, W810, M600i BB Pear + Axim x51v

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~as far as I know you would need a 3g phone for the 3g network, but I could be wrong. I know to get edge speed you need an edge phone

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

Also, to answer your second question, yes, the Pearl will work in Japan since it is a quad-band world phone.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

XLiMBS, I'm not so sure about that. I don't think Japan has a GSM Network. Check out this post by Hayden on the BB 8707 for Japan.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

kudos 8100 no está en línea Stack level 1

it will work in Japan they have 3G data support....i was there about couple of months ago....they use both GSM and CDMA.

dont bring the ph's from here...they have much better ph/pda's there...they are like years head of products that we have it here...

they got the ph's with tv tuners that u can watch live tv...6mp digital camera built in the ph/pda.....kick @ss gps support....etc.

i you need ph in Japan...impervise locally.....and all the ph's there have
    Eng lang option for the ph.

Best

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Aren't they generally more expensive over in Japan though?

axenik no está en línea Stack level 1

the pearl is a global phone meaning it is currently using EGPRS which is actually 3g for voice calls and such, it is only gprs and gsm for sms text and mms. in japan they durrently use 2g technology and are coming into 3g technology, they use PDC like our GPRS which is like 2.5g...yep!