1) recently my vzw 8130 has been flashing up an hourglass like its nobodys business. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

2 questions

Advertisement

1) recently my vzw 8130 has been flashing up an hourglass like its nobodys business. I even deleted a lot of my unused programs and themes.

2) I have been trying for the past 2 months to figure out why certain emails are not being pushed to my phone. I have no filters on that account and it is a pop account. All my gmail emails come through just fine but random messages will not show on my phone off my business email.

Anyone else have problems similar to this?

Thanks in advance folks.

Peace and love

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    On #1, go to browser, menu key, select options>browser configuration and see if you have "Support JavaScript" selected - if you do, un-check and see if that helps.

On #2, have you set up your "business email" for your BB? You have to set up each individual email account.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Thanks a heap on the first one. I forgot I turned that on a while back. I will deselect that option and are how she goes from there.

I have had my business email set up for a while now, and for the most part it works very smoothly. Just every now and then I hop online and check my email accounts only to find emails that were not pushed to my phone. Unfortunately for me more often than not they are clients needing speedy replies.

Any more ideas? Anyone?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Who is the email (that causes the problem) with. I have found a BIG difference between Yahoo email and Gmail, but mostly in the speed at which they synchronize between my p-c and my BB. Let me know how the #1 solution works.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Its not with a web based provider. Its just through my web server off my web site. Not sure if there is a particular setting I need adjust with that

Solution 1 is working pretty well so far. Only time will tell.

Thanks a heap

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    disctosser, do you also receive your work e-mail through Outlook? If so, you might want to check the settings in Outlook to make sure you're saving the messages on the server for at least one day to allow them time to push to your device.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Not using outlook or any desktop email software. Only web based. Normally when I check my mail online I have two or three email that did get pushed but where received after the ones that weren't pushed. I say that to show I am giving ample time for the email to be received on my phone.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Quote Originally Posted by disctosser View Post
    Its not with a web based provider. Its just through my web server off my web site. Not sure if there is a particular setting I need adjust with that

Solution 1 is working pretty well so far. Only time will tell.

Thanks a heap

I don't know who houses your web site but I have to also say that I have, at times, had a huge inconsistency with email that I have forwarded to me from my web site host. At times it was inconsistent and at times, non-existent. I think that's all been worked out but I basically quit using that. If it's a commercial host, you might check with them. If you're hosting your own site, you might check with YOU. Good luck.

UPDATE: Re-reading it looks like you are the host of it all: your server, etc. Sorry but I don't know much about how to fix that situation.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 08-22-2008 at 09:48 AM.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    I am not the host, a friend is. He is using SmarterMail 4.2 and I just emailed him earlier asking him to upgrade to the more current 5.5

I have no idea what is going on. I tried forwarding all my messages hoping I could get around this issue but I cant get the smartermail to forward to a vzw.blackberry.net account or even my gmail account. Its really pissing me off. I keep missing business emails when I am out of the office for an extended period.

Any more ideas would be wonderful. Thanks folks.

PS - Blackfish, solution to the spinning wheel of death worked like a charm. Thanks.

Peace and Love

Disctosser

Disctosser,

It sounds like your "friend" may be the block in your email problem. Can he/she monitor a few test emails to see if they arrive at the server? and then if you get them or not? The point at which they are blocked may not be that difficult to resolve - it just takes a little logic.

Then, if you can't do anything else, maybe you should change the email reference that you give your customers (posted on your web site) RIGHT AWAY to a gmail account or whatever you feel is trustworthy. In my experience a straight Gmail account is about as good as it gets - they come through, their spam filter is un-beatable - and start making the transition to that email over time while you try to solve the existing problem.

Your existing customers will still be using the old email and you will still have that issue but, little by little, it will go away...and maybe a little testing on the old email (as I mentioned before) can yield the culprit.

PIN/ID
    ask me!
    Well, I think I found the problem. Blackberry Was defaulting to imap and not pop3. While imap would be prefered, the mail server he is using doesn't do well with imap. The only thing is that like I said before, blackberry defaults to it. I know you must use the option to import your settings from outlook to force the bb setup utility to use pop instead of imap. I just can't get the applett to download. I keep getting an error saying I closed a popup or don't have permission to install. I am using an administrator account with popup blocker off and security minimized (temporarily of course).

What am I doing wrong? Outlook is set correctly. .

disctosser, I'm not ashamed to say I'm over my head on this one. Let me see if I can get an expert to look in on it. Hang in there.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by disctosser View Post
    1) recently my vzw 8130 has been flashing up an hourglass like its nobodys business. I even deleted a lot of my unused programs and themes.
    Hey disctosser, jblackfish just alerted me to your post, so give me a few, I'm going to read through it and post a reply.

Cheers
    archer6

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Disctosser,

Has the upgrade to SmarterMail 5.5 been done? That is issue number one which must be resolved. 4.2 has known issues that prevent it from functioning correctly. Next, regarding the download process for the applet, you must insure that your security settings are disabled, your anti-virus, and pop-up blocker disabled. Then perform a restart, confirm they are still disabled and the download will go quickly and smoothly.