Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Dear Pinstack Users, First off let me thank you for having this forum. I just ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    bchzcallmeg0's Avatar
    bchzcallmeg0 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15

    Question 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Advertisement



    Dear Pinstack Users,

    First off let me thank you for having this forum. I just received my Blackberry last night, and I am already in love. Unfortunately as a first time user I am a bit confused. I have had nothing but Samsung phones my entire life and pretty much they are all the same, never anything new to learn.

    I have pretty much learned how to navigate around the phone, and also how to use the keyboard and all the buttons.

    I have read around for similar trouble that other people were having and didn't find much, except for the DATA CONNECTION REFUSED error, however still no answer to my problems. Maybe I'm overlooking something but the manual is really not much help, since I know how to put in the battery and turn it on, there's really not much else it proceeds to explain.

    Here's some technical info: Blackberry Pearl 8100, White. T-mobile.
    I have the latest software updates and everything, phone is brand new out of the box, I don't even have my contact in it yet. Nothing has been downloaded or erased and I haven't yet tried to sync it to my computer.

    1. I tested the phone at the T-mobile store and the messenger had the option to select from AIM, Yahoo! and ICQ and some other messenger. However mine just says "Blackberry Messenger" and when I click on it, it signs me in to something and I'm just not sure what that is. Supposedly my girlfriend says its only for other blackberry users where you can talk via the Blackberry PIN. I can see where that makes sense but where are my other messengers! Do I need to download these? Because when I ordered the phone from T-mobile it says that Instant Messenger is free.

    2. Data Connection Refused Error - YES I HAVE A DATA PLAN! at least I think I do. I have unlimited text, video, and picture messages via T-mobile. Last night my girlfriend tried to send me a picture message. I still have not received it. I can receive text messages but no pictures or videos. As far as data plan, since I really don't have a clue about Blackberry, is there something seperate that I'm supposed to buy? ALSO I noticed that this was NOT there from the beggining. It used to say "T-Mobile" and now it says "Data Connection Refused" all the time. That started when I tried to connect with my girlfriend's phone Via Bluetooth. She has a T-Mobile MDA. She was trying to send me some pictures and on her phone it said "Network connection failed" or something about connection failed. Yes both phones were visiable and synced to each other. Since then, the DATA CONNECTION REFUSED error appeared. I don't know if the bluetooth and picture message errors are related but I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

    3. Memory Card - Is it a Mini SD or a Micro SD? And can I still transfer MP3s and photos from my PC to it without a memory card? Is there a memory limit on the memory card? I'm about to purchase one and I don't want to make a mistake.

    4. I found that Hayden's guide was awesome, however the "how to" links don't work when I click on them. So I was wondering if there was an updated version of the guide where I could find out exactly how to transfer my photos and change my background and set up the ringtones. Quick question, and this may be stupid but, is there some way I can set a ringtone to a specific caller? Or it is just one ringtone for everyone?

    And I think that's it! I loved the Guide I just wish the links would work because it would really help! Also I signed up for Blackberry Owners Online, anyone else done that? I tried to see if there was something like this where you could get help information, but there isn't. I searched and all that came up was the handy dandy manual!

    Thanks all, Amanda.

  2. #2
    steedtek's Avatar
    steedtek no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23EBDA02
    Posts
    175

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    1) THese are seperate messanger programs, most likely they will auto download when you fix problem number 2, or you can download them after #2 is solved.

    2) This requires a BIS plan, which is a Personal Blackberry Data plan, which is different than what you have described, and is specific to blackberrys, not the normal Tmobile data plan, you need to contact a support rep and get this added to your plan.

    3) This is MicroSD, yes you can xfer mp3s to the device's memory but it only has 64mb of ram, and only about 19mb will be available free space, which we would suggest putting more than 1-2 mp3s on. The latest OS versions allow up to a 2gb MicroSD memory card.

    4) Not sure about these, maybe someone else can help.

  3. #3
    courtlandre's Avatar
    courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9
    Posts
    76

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    1. Go to the blackberry page in your blackberry browser and download the instant messenger. Or, download Jivetalk, its free and uses data instead of your text messages. Search for jivetalk, should be easy to find.

    2. Dont know

    3. Micro, 2GB is the limit atm.

    4. Not sure about an updated guide, you can set a ringtone though, just go into the contact edit page and click the menu and click set custom ringtone.

  4. #4
    bchzcallmeg0's Avatar
    bchzcallmeg0 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    So I would need a BIS plan to use the bluetooth and transfer files via bluetooth and receive my picture messages even though I already pay for the service via Tmobile? Where do I get the BIS plan and and are they expensive?

  5. #5
    bchzcallmeg0's Avatar
    bchzcallmeg0 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Also in response to courtlandre, I don't have a browser on my phone. Do i need to download one?

  6. #6
    steedtek's Avatar
    steedtek no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23EBDA02
    Posts
    175

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    You do not need the BIS plan to use Bluetooth at all. If you want to use Email, web, instant messages, you need an internet plan, which is what BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) is for. Usually it is $29.99/month for unlimited usage(may be less with Tmo)

    Your browser will appear when you have fixed your Data problem, such as the BIS plan.

  7. #7
    courtlandre's Avatar
    courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9
    Posts
    76

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    You said you have a data plan. Do you? If you do, try to resend your service books, options --> advanced --> Service Books --> resend (I think). If that does nothing, call t-mobile and tell an operator to connect you to the blackberry tech support. When I first got my blackberry they "forgot" to turn on my data and my service books werent being sent. They turned it on and within a few seconds all the icons showed up and everything worked.

  8. #8
    courtlandre's Avatar
    courtlandre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23DF64F9
    Posts
    76

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    ok, Im not sure how to send service books, you should be able to search for it. Something else to try is go to options - advanced - host routing table -click menu- click register.

  9. #9
    sn1p3r's Avatar
    sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Let's start from the beginning to not disturb you're learning.

    #1 BB messenger is only for PIN messaging like your girlfriend said and you'll need to download other programs to use MSN and other program.

    #2 You need a BB data plan which is 19.99$ with TMO You don'T need it to use bluetooth but you won't be able to exchange picture with your girlfriend via BT since she doesn't have a BB. BB data plan is the internet on your BB so if you don'T have it forget about browser, email and instant messaging.

    #3 like the other said 2 GB is the bigger you can have with the new OS

    #4 Yes you can use use specific ringtones for specific callers but I'll you how I do it on me BB but I'm not used with the pearl so I can't say if it's the same
    Go into profile - advanced - New exception - select the caller and the ringtones you want

    Hope this will helps you getting used to these devices

    Feel free to PM me if you need more help

    BTW Welcome to the stacks and hope you'll the BB as much as we do
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

  10. #10
    bchzcallmeg0's Avatar
    bchzcallmeg0 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Wow you guys are great. Ok. So just to clarify, regardless of the plan I have with Tmobile for unlimited text, etc, I can't receive picture messages or receive anything via Bluetooth? Unless its from another blackberry? I was trying to send the pictures from my old phone to the new one, and I'm just not sure how to transfer them without doing it through my computer. Plus I'd really like for my picture messages and bluetooth to work!

    And for everything else, Thanks! I think that clarified a lot. No data plan means no browser and no email. But I thought that with Tmo, Instant Messenging was considered a text message. Any thoughts?

  11. #11
    Stonebreeze's Avatar
    Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8
    Posts
    261

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Let's start from the beginning to not disturb you're learning.

    #1 BB messenger is only for PIN messaging like your girlfriend said and you'll need to download other programs to use MSN and other program.

    #2 You need a BB data plan which is 19.99$ with TMO You don'T need it to use bluetooth but you won't be able to exchange picture with your girlfriend via BT since she doesn't have a BB. BB data plan is the internet on your BB so if you don'T have it forget about browser, email and instant messaging.

    #3 like the other said 2 GB is the bigger you can have with the new OS

    #4 Yes you can use use specific ringtones for specific callers but I'll you how I do it on me BB but I'm not used with the pearl so I can't say if it's the same
    Go into profile - advanced - New exception - select the caller and the ringtones you want

    Hope this will helps you getting used to these devices

    Feel free to PM me if you need more help

    BTW Welcome to the stacks and hope you'll the BB as much as we do
    Sorry, but IMHO he wouold be able to use BT to send and receive media files even if his girlfriend doesn't have a blackberry. I made a clean BT connection with my wife's phone (LG) and sent her media files (pictures, music, etc) via BT. BT is not device specific.

    BRZ

  12. #12
    sn1p3r's Avatar
    sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Sorry didn't know about the pearl but that's new 'cause my 7130e can't do anything like that :P
    and bchzcallmeg0 depending on which program you use some are using SMS and other are using data to go.
    I sugger the one using data since if you gat a BB data plan with TMO you'll be unlimited

    Hope this helps
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

  13. #13
    Blukrystlz's Avatar
    Blukrystlz no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    Askme4it
    Posts
    5,250

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by bchzcallmeg0
    Wow you guys are great. Ok. So just to clarify, regardless of the plan I have with Tmobile for unlimited text, etc, I can't receive picture messages or receive anything via Bluetooth? Unless its from another blackberry? I was trying to send the pictures from my old phone to the new one, and I'm just not sure how to transfer them without doing it through my computer. Plus I'd really like for my picture messages and bluetooth to work!

    And for everything else, Thanks! I think that clarified a lot. No data plan means no browser and no email. But I thought that with Tmo, Instant Messenging was considered a text message. Any thoughts?
    Hello there and welcome! I am not as knowledgeable as the rest here, but as far as i know you do not need to have a BIS plan to send/receive via bluetooth, i do it all the time and with my L7 (not a BB).

    I would call Tmo and make sure you have a data plan, then like everyone else says you get your service books sent to you by a rep.
    As far as the IM service, if you are using OZ it does not go through your text messages, it is a seperate app. When i got my replacement phone it did not have OZ on it, but when i ran the app loader and my phone was updated and low and behold the OZ IM service came back. I hope this helped in some way

  14. #14
    Blukrystlz's Avatar
    Blukrystlz no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    Askme4it
    Posts
    5,250

    Thumbs up Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by bchzcallmeg0
    Dear Pinstack Users,

    4. I found that Hayden's guide was awesome, however the "how to" links don't work when I click on them. So I was wondering if there was an updated version of the guide where I could find out exactly how to transfer my photos and change my background and set up the ringtones. Quick question, and this may be stupid but, is there some way I can set a ringtone to a specific caller? Or it is just one ringtone for everyone?
    Excuse me i forgot this question. When you add a contact to your address book, if you hit the menu button, there will be an option to add custom phone tune, just select that and your list of ringtones will appear, just highlight the one you want, hit the trackball and save.

  15. #15
    Stonebreeze's Avatar
    Stonebreeze no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    23E8B1E8
    Posts
    261

    Re: 1st Time Blackberry User in Dire Need of HELP!

    Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Sorry didn't know about the pearl but that's new 'cause my 7130e can't do anything like that :P
    and bchzcallmeg0 depending on which program you use some are using SMS and other are using data to go.
    I sugger the one using data since if you gat a BB data plan with TMO you'll be unlimited

    Hope this helps
    No problem Sn1p3r. That is why we are all here....to learn!

    BRZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •