I had a chance to check it out at the t-mobile store. The biggest thing ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

krees23 no está en línea Stack level 2

1st impression of the 8220

Advertisement

I had a chance to check it out at the t-mobile store. The biggest thing that caught my attention was how light it was... wow, I have the curve and it's about as light as the curve without the battery.

It was running 4.6 and the o/s seemed very responsive.

The recessed trackball wasn't an issue.

When opened, it didn't seem really huge, the hinge looked pretty sturdy too.

The only bad part is it "feels" more like a cheaper phone.

In any case, I think this is a great phone for a BlackBerry user and newbie.

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3
    Yep cheap phone

deafcyclist no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243F42A5
    not cheap for current t-mobile customer not due for an upgrade. it would cost me 299.99 (not counting the extra fees) just to upgrade. I might as well pay for the full ~$350 for one without contracts. (I'm not actually going to get this phone however much I want to, I just don't have the money for that anymore right now)

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    In terms of build, it's kind-of a strange combination. The front looks and feels very solid and classy, but the back seems to be more flimsy plastic. For example, when I was pulling the sticker off of the battery cover, it popped the battery cover off the phone in spite of it being latched... this was because the plastic battery cover was so thin that it flexed to the point it slipped out of it's notches. It wasn't an extremely sticky sticker and I wasn't pulling very hard, so that was a surprise! But it feels pretty solid overall.

I can't decide whether to be concerned. On the one hand it may be tougher due to the flexible nature, better able to take bumps, etc. On the other - what is going to happen when my daughter accidentally drops hers as she is wont to do? Her current Pearl has held up very well with a rubber skin. I have my concerns about whether this one will do as well.

BUT, in spite of my issues with the materials making up the back of this phone, overall I am very happy and impressed. It feels good in my hand, very light, nice OS and layout, seems to be speedy and responsive. I will post more after I've spent more time using it.
    Last edited by gritsinct; 10-15-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Sharky147 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I didn't get all warm and fuzzy over it. I will wait for the Javelin.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky147 View Post
    I didn't get all warm and fuzzy over it. I will wait for the Javelin.
    Yeah im using a work issued 8220 at the moment and as much as i LIKE it im waiting for the Javelin because i know ill LOVE it