does everyone else's call fail when they have one bar of service? Or if it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Jsex no está en línea Stack level 2

1 bar of service

Advertisement

does everyone else's call fail when they have one bar of service? Or if it does work, the person can not hear me but i can hear them fine.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: 1 bar of service

im in the same boat as you, tmobile? when i had my 7100 with nextel i could make and recieve calls with no bars. disappointing

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Bars mean nothing more than a false sense of security. What you really need to be using to get a true assesment of the signal rate is the admin screens and the dbM signal readouts. I have found throughout the years that some manufacturers will inflate their bar readout calibration to sell more phones. When it boils down to it, all that matters is if the phone can hold a useable signal, not how many bars it can display. Some manufacturers only show a max of 4 bars. I have seen people complain that there old phone got better reception because it showed 5 bars (bearing in mind that both were showing full scale signals, one 4 bars and the other 5 bars both maxed). I have also had phones that one was showing 2 bars and the other no bars, but from the admin screen, I could see the no bar phone had actually 10 dbM more useable signal than the 2 bar phone (misleading isn' it). The bars are only a graphinc representation and are only useful when you become accustomed to them and how the phone works when they are displayed (ie I can use my phone with 2 bars but will probably get no service with 1 bar). I think it is misleading and there should be a standard, but alas there is no standard as to how the phone graphically has to display it's signal (I would prefer digital feedback in dbM anyway if given the choice) as this would stop the bad and misleading practice of over exaggerating bar readout. I actually had one phone in the past that would only show 4 bars or no bars, talk about misleading as there was nothing in between. Yeah, 4 bars I'm on the phone (take 2 steps)...Dropped call what the.. no bars now, what happened (and yes it worked just this fast, I locked into the debug screen for this device just to make it useable for me).

Rereading that about the 4 versus 5 bars it is kind of misleading the way it reads, what I meant was that some are graphically drawn to only have 4 bars displayed as a maximum (Samsung is known for this, they never have had a 5 bar scale to my knowledge, at least with none of my devices) whereas some like RIM and Sony have chosen 5 bars to represent their maximum).
    Last edited by squeakr; 07-04-2007 at 04:11 PM.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

squeakr, very interesting info. that is very disappointing to me if that is indeed what they do. erggh

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Hey it is the trick of the sales. When you buy a phone, you want the one with the best ability to make and receive a call. Since you really can't tell such a thing in the store, what is the easiest way to compare what possibly might be the best phone??? Right, the one that gets the best signal. The manufacturers figured this out a while ago and have been skewing there graphs in order to prove this. Then FCC knows this so that is why there is an admin/debug screen. This way they can evaluate a handset based on the actual data and not just the graphical representation that the manufacturer wants you to have. Don't get me started on how the stores all have positioning either close to the tower so that signal within the store is great, or the other which is they have a repeater within the store to boost the signal and guarantee a good call and signal from the store. Ever wondered why the signal was great when you bought it and then dropped once you got out of sight of the store, but went back to complain and low and behold the problems couldn't be duplicated as the signal was super strong??? Nice trick #2.