Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hi, i have been looking around for a bit becuase basically i am thinking of ... BlackBerry Curve forum

oma-RR no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    askplz

wm6 owner thinking about making a change! help!

Advertisement

hi, i have been looking around for a bit becuase basically i am thinking of making a switch from wm6 to BB now, i hope there are others that have switched over in the past, if so i would like to hear from you. i like the curve and obviously i love BB web and email capabilities, but what else makes BBs great? i know that the answers might be bias but please be helpful, tell me of the things you love about your BB and also about 3rd party support and how available is it as far as business apps and also entertainment apps, such as game and what not. i am also a former palm user and i switched to ppc becuase the treo NEVER got skinny! lol, but what i loved about palm was thier organization tools, how is BB as an organizer/planner, how many of you use it as your business organizer? and how is it working out for you?

i know i have asked alot but please understand i need to make a smart decision, i need a reliable, phone that can help manage my life, and work. thank you.

oma-RR

ps i hope everything looks good, im on my pocket pc right now and its not doing the greatest job at working with this website...

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Re: wm6 owner thinking about making a change! help!

Speaking as a person who has owned 2 WM5 and 1 WM6 devices, I will give you the rundown as to why I enjoy my BB much more than my WM devices. Now, I know that WM is far more customizable and there are literally thousands of free apps that make your experience great, but here we go:

1: Blackberry browser is much faster.
    2: Blackberry UI is much faster.
    3: Your BB won't freeze up 10 times a day.
    4: BB battery life is far superior.
    5: Aesthetics of the BB are more pleasing to the eye.

There are so many more, but I'm gonna let some other people have some fun. Those are the top for me.

erick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23ff9086

I have used the original Microsoft devices since they were called Windows CE all the way up to WM5. E-mail and instant messenger are use more than anything else on my BB. I prefer the Blackberry for the following reasons:

1. As stated above they are more stable than their Windows competitors.

2. The e-mail services that they provide are far superior than the Windows devices. BB uses a push system instead of the popular POP services.

3. The radio stack in my experience is better. I have better signal strength and quality. In locations my Windows device could not even find a signal the BB is able to make calls using the same service.

The three reasons above are why I switched. I also use the following software:

Blackberry push weather.
    Preloaded Address Book and Calendar.
    As silly as it may sound the alarm program has been handy.
    Calculator
    GetMobio
    Google maps/traffic
    Tip Master
    Same Game, I love this game and its free.
    Unit Converter

If you are curious what is available on the BB, check out the download section on this web page and look at the following links.
    A good place to start may be handango.com and getjar.com to see what programs are available.
    The first step to curing your (Blackberry) addiction is admitting your addicted. What addiction, I don't have an addiction!!!

LarryH no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm one of the rare people on the BB boards who doesn't hate WM. I really liked my original Moto Q, ended up with a BB 8300, but was looking forward to the AT&T release of the Q9H. Much to my surprise, when the Q9H arrived, although it was everything I expected it to be, I had become hooked on my 8300. I'm comparing the BB to the more similar WM5 (Smartphone) or WM6 Standard than to a full touchscreen PPC. They're so different (and the PPC is never one-hand friendly) that, to me, it's like apples and oranges.

There's no doubt that, currently, you can't compare 3rd party support. If there's something very specific that you do with WM, you should check to see if you can do that with the BB. Slingbox/player is one example.

I'm not heavily Calendar oriented but I can tell you that if you've really taken full use of the 3rd party Calendar programs for PPCs, you'll find the BB running behind in that area too, although the folks at WEBIS (PocketInformant) are getting close to a beta. That'll go a long way for converts who really need something like this.

My point, look before you leap. Everyone's needs and uses are different. That said, I couldn't believe that the brand new Q9H didn't "do it" for me anymore. I had become completely spoiled by using the BB for what I do most -- phoning, texting, emailing. A few things I find SIGNIFICANT:

I travel to Canada a lot. My Outlook contacts have a standard 10-digit phone number format. Canada now requires a 1 prefixed to all outgoing calls. For me, it's a giant PITA to have to look up my contact's number and manually dial it every time I'm in Canada. (Especially when I do almost all my calling via voice dial.) You'd think a smart "phone" would be smart enough to provide a solution for this. Not on my WM5/6 Qs. No 3rd party solutions, either. The BB has "smart dialing" and can handle international travel without a hitch.

Text entry -- WOW! The Q's predictive text is completely annoying to me. I much prefer the BB's autotext (autocorrect) feature. I can type im and hit space and I get I'm. I can type dont and get don't. I can create my own. For instance, I can type cm (for "call me") and get my entire signature with phone #. For me this really speeds things up. In WM PPC version there's a version of autocorrect -- not in the "smartphone" (now called "standard") version. Found I couldn't give it up.

Hold down a key on the BB and (if it's not at the head of a sentence) you get an uppercase letter without having to hit the SHIFT key. (QCaps did this for WM5, not for WM6 -- yet.)

No built-in text select, cut and paste on WM5/6 (Smartphone versions.)

The BB provides better email solutions. I'm using a hosted BES that costs me under $20/mo. that gives me complete Outlook wireless sync. I must add, however, that I believe WM does a bit better job sync'ing the calendar and some aspects of contacts (like photos) than the BB. There are a few "gotchas" with all-day events and Outlook sync. To me, they're minor but they may not be to you. In the end, Windows to Windows has a slight leg-up in that area, though I believe RIM continues to clean up problem areas when they find them.

I'm using a 3rd party program on my BB called "Blackberry Alerts." If I'm away from the phone, it can be set to audibly and visibly (via LED) remind me when I'm in range of the phone that I missed something. A call, an email, a text, voicemail, etc." When I got the new Q, I hunted for a 3rd party app that would do this reliably. Short of PhoneAlarm (which has many problems in its Smartphone incarnation) there were none.

I could go on but, for the things I do most, the BB just "does it." It's not as much fun to hack, tinker with, add-on to, etc. WM really rules the roost here. It's not as customizable and, therefore, the homescreen, plug-in options are far more limited. I think my WM homescreen "kills" the options I have on the BB.

But, at the end of the day, when I'm not playing, tinkering or being geeky about it, the BB is my hands-down preference because using the thing is far more important than the "cool" factor.
    Last edited by LarryH; 11-13-2007 at 11:35 AM.

http://www.drinkswithlarryandlauren.com

haggisgirl no está en línea Stack level 2

I recently transitioned to a Curve from a T-Mobile MDA. But before I did, I read everything on this forum (and a few others) to see what problems people were experiencing with the Curve and what software was available. The other posters have pointed out some of the differences (I REALLY miss my Pocket Informant and am axiously awaiting Webis BB beta version), its not easy to hack, etc.

Some other things I miss

1. The inability to put programs and email on the storage card. So far I haven't had a problem with memory (which it appears from other posts may cause your call logs, email and text messages to disappear) but I watch it carefully too.

2. Unless you receive a Word document or Excel spreadsheet as an attachment in an email, you can't view it without purchasing some rather expensive 3rd party software. I would like to be able to create, edit and email those types of documents and unfortunately I haven't found anything that will allow me to do that that isn't fairly expensive.

3. The 3rd party software selection is somewhat limited, compared to WM6 and seems to me to be a little more expensive. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing since it makes me more selective in what I purchase.

All in all, I do not regret purchasing the Curve, in fact I may never go back. I don't miss lockups, having to reset, and the lack of speed. I agree with one of the previous posters, my radio signal seems better and more consistent. I would recommend reading the forums, and looking at some of the software available to make sure you'll have everything available that you need. Good Luck.
    Haggisgirl
    Why yes, that is my Miata. And, yes, it has a Ford 302.

oma-RR no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    askplz

thank you all very much.

i definitely do understand there is a huge difference when speaking of wm smartphone and ppc. i had a treo first and i loved it, that was a smartphone, so when i saw barely any changes from the 600 to the 650 and pretty much no changes from the 650 to the 700 (excluding evdo) i decided i wanted out! so i left sprint and got a wm smartphone. i HATED wm smartphones because internet was horrible! i then got a ppc, and i have custimized to make me happy! yes my home screen is a work of art as well but i have not ever been a fan of the ppc being a mandatory2 handed device. i LOVED texting on my treo, driving long hours using my left hand to steer and my right to shift/use my treo. when my wife upgraded from the pearl to the curve, i set everything up for her (she doesnt use her phones as more than just texting/music/phone devices, she was just sick of her semi qwerty pearl and she thought the curve was cute.) and i fell in love with it! i think in the last week shes had it i have used it more than her!

internet speeds are MUCH faster, and the push email is great.

i will continue to read other posts though before i make that jump. but i thank you all for your input. i just wanted to let you know that i am not blindly jumping, i do have it available to experiment with it, i just want to read others expiriences with wm, and then switching to BB. thanks.

oma-RR

LarryH no está en línea Stack level 1

It's too late, oma-RR. You've been bitten. Go for it! Take the plunge. There's no turning back.

http://www.drinkswithlarryandlauren.com

truegovernator no está en línea Stack level 1

try making a phone call while surfing the net and sending a text messgae on a winmo device,
    then do it on a blackberry

onewil no está en línea Stack level 1

I switched from WM5/6 to the BB. Best decision I ever made. After years on Nokia/S60 the WM was a nightmare (HTC P4350) and not because of the hardware, which I loved. Too many clicks/touches/taps/menus to do anything and constantly crashing/lagging. The Curve is the best phone I've ever had as well as the best email setup I've ever had.

In terms of apps, I've got all the ones I need (Opera Mini, Gmail, Google Maps, Chinese Dictionary) so there's been no loss in that area (actually the Chinese Dictionary, while not as good as the best WM5/6 ones, was SO much easier to find, purchase, install, and use that it's not even a competition. Plus the language support in WM was horrible (I live in China and so need Chinese input/recognition but do not want my phone OS to be in Chinese) and on BB it is simple, easy, and exactly how I want it.

Best switch ever. Go for it.

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I hope you make the right decision!!!
    /~*brooke

Cea
    Cea no está en línea Stack level 1

I've made the switch too from win mobile to BB and don't regret it a single minute.
    I wanted a reliable phone with pda and media options. Win mobile has those options, except it is not reliable. I had to reboot it several times a day.
    My bb curve is rock solid and works like it should.
    All the benefits are mentioned already here in the previous posts.

ivwshane no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by onewil View Post
    I switched from WM5/6 to the BB. Best decision I ever made. After years on Nokia/S60 the WM was a nightmare (HTC P4350) and not because of the hardware, which I loved. Too many clicks/touches/taps/menus to do anything and constantly crashing/lagging. The Curve is the best phone I've ever had as well as the best email setup I've ever had.

In terms of apps, I've got all the ones I need (Opera Mini, Gmail, Google Maps, Chinese Dictionary) so there's been no loss in that area (actually the Chinese Dictionary, while not as good as the best WM5/6 ones, was SO much easier to find, purchase, install, and use that it's not even a competition. Plus the language support in WM was horrible (I live in China and so need Chinese input/recognition but do not want my phone OS to be in Chinese) and on BB it is simple, easy, and exactly how I want it.

Best switch ever. Go for it.

If I could combine the symbian OS with the bb OS I'd be in heaven!

I love customizing/hacking my phone (wm and symbian based devices) but I really love my bb, it just works!

bkeaver no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by haggisgirl View Post
    2. Unless you receive a Word document or Excel spreadsheet as an attachment in an email, you can't view it without purchasing some rather expensive 3rd party software. I would like to be able to create, edit and email those types of documents and unfortunately I haven't found anything that will allow me to do that that isn't fairly expensive.
    Beamberry works for opening your attachements and its free!

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I haven't used a WM device since the days of CE. Up until last year, I did the Palm PDA/dumbphone combo because I didn't like the size of any of the mobile smartphones including the BBs during that period. When the Pearl and Curve came out, I gave the Pearl a try and not regretted it since.

I'm repeating, but the way more stable OS makes up for just about any specific shortcoming that can be highlighted. I think the Calendar, Tasks, Contacts functions work extremely well, I sync with my corporate Lotus Notes manually (USB Cable sync daily. I don't want work email on my device, and the corporate IT policy was absolutely draconian IMO for a device I had to purchase and pay for the wireless service) and it does wonderful for me.

Although you can't hack it, there are enough third party apps out there to customize to my usage that I'm very pleased with it.

I also enjoy the fact that there is pretty much nothing you can do to the OS that will kill the phone. I've played around with different OS versions and tried a couple of different tweaks, and when they didn't work the worst thing I've had to do is plug my phone into the Desktop Manager and reload the OS. They're great phones for reliable daily personal management.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

haggisgirl no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by bkeaver View Post
    Beamberry works for opening your attachements and its free!
    Thanks for the recommendation! Does Beamberry allow me to edit or create Word and Excel docs on my Curve, too? I'll have to do some looking at it if it does.
    Haggisgirl
    Why yes, that is my Miata. And, yes, it has a Ford 302.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast