Hi, i just bought the bb curve 8320 (phone only). I did not buy any ... BlackBerry Curve forum

leroypinto no está en línea Stack level 1

wireless internet on curve 8320?

Advertisement

Hi, i just bought the bb curve 8320 (phone only). I did not buy any data plans or anything like that, not even unlimited text. Anyway, does anybody know if I will be able to use the wifi on the phone to connect to wireless internet in my college campus...for free...just like i can do on my laptop?

Thanks so much

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: wireless internet on curve 8320?

on windows mobile phones with wifi you can use the internet with a dummy sim in the phone, now i'm on cincinnati bell and i used the 8120 with uma and was billed for 1130 min ($502) because the uma feature was never added even though i turned off the cell radio any time i used it as a phone so they can track that and i'm sure att who just raised all internet rates doesn't want you using anything for free.

Thanks for your reply...i'm with t-mobile by the way, and if i'm getting this straight, you say I can use wireless but t-mobile might charge me for the time I spend online with my phone?

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3

If all you're going to do is surf the internet with your phone, then your golden. If you try and make calls while on the wireless, then tmo will deduct minutes with out the @home plan.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967

I agree with wassona. TMo will not bill or track you for surfing the net via wifi from your campus. I do believe they will be able to monitor your calling if you decide to try and use wifi, but then again...I do not have a wifi at home plan and I call via my wifi all the time and don't accumulate minutes for it. So, after thinking about it, I am really not sure..obviously you would not want to call CC and find out lol. Maybe someone else on this thread will have the true answer.

thanks guys

BerrySmartUser no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey people, new to this board. I scored my Curve 8320 this week, and I've had the @home service now for a month. Tmo can track the calls you make with wif-fi / @home service. I called CC last night because while I was looking over my account, I noticed my @home service wasn't listed. So I called to make sure it was still on. The rep told me it was, and told me the last time I made a call using my @home, then told me since Feb 1, I've used 260 minutes using wifi @home. So yes, then can track it.

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Regardless of if you are with T-Mobile or AT&T if your BB has wifi and you don't subscribe to a data plan you can use the wifi with incurring additional charges from the carrier. Calls over UMA from T-Mobile just deduct from your rate plan depending on date and time of call!!!

paku no está en línea Stack level 1
    Data plan is for GPRS / EDGE. So you don't need one for wifi as your not getting data from the cell towers, its comming from a broadband connection.

However even tho UMA goes thru the same broadband. Your carrier will still deduct from your mins without a UMA/Hotspot feature. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~