So we can access all aspects of our BB service by connecting to a WIFI ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BB_5000 no está en línea Stack level 2

WIFI vs GPRS / EDGE question

Advertisement

So we can access all aspects of our BB service by connecting to a WIFI network.

1) Emails
    2) BBM
    3) Maps

What I want to know is does the Javelin automatically over ride any EDGE / GPRS Data service IF we connect to a WIFI?

Sometimes, when I'm using the browser, I see the GPRS Bar symbols flashing like crazy despite being connected to a WIFI.

There is no indication on the Berry whether I'm using my Free Wifi or a Network Data Service to get my data in. So, how can I tell?

I want to always use WIFI data (if available of course) because I'm often roaming and GPRS / EDGE fees are extortionate!

TheJuggalo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    you should have a WIFI logo in your banner (the javelin may have the ability to turn it off) but in your setup WIFI menu you should be able to set it to use WIFI whenever it is available

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The presence of the WiFi logo on the start screen does _not_ indicate that you are connected and using Wifi. The logo only indicates that WiFi is powered on. To determine if you are connected & using wifi, go to "manage connections" the WiFi box must be checked & next to the words WiFi it will say AT&T in green.

via A6 smartphone~(wap.pinstack.com)

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    That and the fact that on the homescreen, the wifi logo must be WHITE.
    No matter if connected or not, the logo will be there (as Archer said) but if not connected itll be greyed out.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Can you set it to wifi only? Then you know if its working its via wifi. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

malejko no está en línea Stack level 2
    You can set the 8900 to wifi-only. I had a 'block' on my Rogers account so that I couldn't use certain things, even if I was connected to wifi and had it set to wifi-only (lame). After I got that off, the tech warned me that I may incur data charges if I'm not careful. Given that I'm on the "Blackberry Messaging Plan", I guess it's safer to have the block on for a lot of people. I'm normally wi-fi connected though.

That 'greyed out' thing is correct. It's white when it's connected.

However, maybe I'm not making the question clear enough.

If I'm connected to WIFI, i want to disable the GPRS Service completely - but NOT going through the Connections manager and disabling the 'mobile network.'

Is there an option for this or do I assume that it's Automatically disconnected the GPRS service when connected to WIFI?

This option is vital for non-unlimited or Roaming users.
    Last edited by BB_5000; 01-05-2009 at 01:03 PM.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yes when the wifi logo is white the wifi connexion takes over the GPRS/EDGE one. im positive.
    Now its up to you to be careful to not drop wifi and keep an eye on it.

malejko no está en línea Stack level 2
    Options --> Mobile Network --> Connection Preference. I have mine set to Wi-Fi preferred, but you can set it to Mobile Network Only, Mobile Network Preferred, Wi-Fi only, and Wi-Fi preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by malejko View Post
    Options --> Mobile Network --> Connection Preference. I have mine set to Wi-Fi preferred, but you can set it to Mobile Network Only, Mobile Network Preferred, Wi-Fi only, and Wi-Fi preferred.

That's exactly what I was looking for - and it's not on my OS!

v 4.6.1.101

What are you using?

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_5000 View Post
    That's exactly what I was looking for - and it's not on my OS!

v 4.6.1.101

What are you using?
    That option may not be included on every carrier's version of the 8900. The ATT version of the Bold didn't include the option to use 2g/EDGE only but the rogers version did, and it isn't OS dependant, it's built into the phone hardware. Maybe yours is the same, check it out.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.