Ok I have a curve 8320 from T-Mo. and I have the Unlimited BIS I-net/Email. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

T3chGirl no está en línea Stack level 2

WiFi question

Advertisement

Ok I have a curve 8320 from T-Mo. and I have the Unlimited BIS I-net/Email. I wanted to cancel my I-net and just have the unlimited Email but I wanted to know with WiFi can u use the internet for free u get a connection or does T-mo charge for using WiFi???? Because I really don't use the I-net on my phone.

Can someone plz explain to me how this WiFi works?

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I would call T-Mobile to be sure, but from what I understand, you should still be able to use the wifi. I may be completely wrong about it though. But if you turn off the wireless, and just turn on the wifi, everything still works.
    Then again, they might not give you a straight answer because they want you to keep the higher plan.

Edit: Looks like this thread verifies what I thought. You can use the wifi without a data plan. But some apps may not work. Some are not configured to know that there's a wifi connection available.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    My device came with WiFi browsing service books, and I could use the Browser over WiFi even without inserting a SIM.

While I haven't tried it, you could probably use any application that supports WiFi without a data plan while on a WiFi network.

rpol8052 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    yea you can use WI-FI with a a plan I'm on Tmo as well

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    There are no charges for wifi!!! neither for call or txts as long as your in UMA mode. UMA mode is when all your calls are sent over the wifi or internet and not through the carrier. t-mobile offers hot spot locations around the US the they charge u to use. but if your at home or work on a privatly owned wifi your will not get charged.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    There are no charges for wifi, neither for call or txts as long as your in UMA mode. UMA mode is when all your calls are sent over the wifi or internet and not through the carrier. t-mobile offers hot spot locations around the US the they charge u to use. but if your at home or work on a privatly owned wifi your will not get charged.
    Only if you have the Hotspot@home plan. If not, then all the calls will use up minutes like normal.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    Only if you have the Hotspot@home plan. If not, then all the calls will use up minutes like normal.
    Your right!! I read up somemore info. lol I remember UMA mode is paired with the service provider. So to my statment call and texts will be charged as normal. but wifi still stands free

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    TXT is not covered unless you have unlimited SMS or some other SMS Package, Either way WIFI oe not it is pulled or billed form that. TMO has NO option for free TXT. As for the rest of it. If you are switching to the E-mail only at 9.99, you should be good. the internet WILL work on Wifi, and you will get mail.
    Last edited by pda.teck; 04-09-2008 at 12:55 PM.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

anaenima no está en línea Stack level 3
    Only downside is, most apps that needs data will not work with wifi alone namely, all the I'm apps (except jivetalk), google maps, opera mini, viigo, etc. Pretty much everything. You can surf though using the BB browser.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~