I'd been using the wifi on my college's campus for UMA. This year I found ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BryanS no está en línea Stack level 2

Wifi on browser authenticated connection

Advertisement

I'd been using the wifi on my college's campus for UMA. This year I found that they have setup an authentication system that uses a browser redirect that leads to a page where I have to enter my userid and password for my school account.

I can't figure out how to get my BB to authenticate on this system and get me UMA connectivity. As far as I can tell, I only get the browser login screen on a device (like my laptop) that can connect to the access point without seeing the internet. The issue is that I believe that my BB won't attempt to connect to the access point unless it is able to see the internet.... it's an endless loop so to speak, in that since the BB can't see the internet it won't get me the login screen, but I can't get the login screen without attempting to connect to the AP.

What can I do? I have a lot of areas in interior parts of the buildings where I don't have service via cellular so UMA was a great thing until now

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2
    have you tried using opera as a browser? it tends to act more like a "PC" browser than a mobile browser. It's a longshot, but, it might be enough to get you through. You'd probably have to copy the link to the start page to your device and go there manually . . . it's worth a shot though.

BryanS no está en línea Stack level 2
    Yep, Opera didn't do it - The problem seemed to be that the browser won't try to route thru the WiFi AP unless it can see the internet. I was able to make a bit of progress but haven't solved the problem....

I found that if I use the BB browser and use the bookmark "login to hotspot" that I can actually see the WiFi browser login screen and can successfully enter my credentials. At this point I've managed to authenticate but haven't gotten UMA working. The WiFi connection diagnostic is giving me the following:

a green check in the "UMA Wi-Fi Available" box but I get the red x in the "Connection" box. I'm getting an error code of W006.1 and a status of "ISP or T-Mobile Network error".

I'm wondering now if there is a port that is now blocked, and had been open in previous years, or if it's a different issue....

any help?

ego1138 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well, if I had to guess, I'd say that the BB isn't smart enough to either hold onto those credentials, or it's not smart enough to pass those credentials on to the other apps on the phone. That's just my guess though, so, don't take that as gospel.

I'm just thinking in terms of what a Windows box would do in the same situation, and it's caching those credentials and passing them on to other applications that try to make outbound connections . . . . that's what's making me think that the tiny BB browser just doens't have the smarts to do that.

CanesFan no está en línea Stack level 1
    My University also has this in place but it works flawlessly for me.

I just scan for network, than once it finds it I connect to the network (it should show up for you too). After connecting there should be a "Wi-Fi Hotspot log in" button above the "finish" button. This link will take you to your login page where you can enter your tudent ID and password or whatever it is you need to enter to get access.

I don't know how it knows to go to that page but it just does. I have the same problems, can't get good reception inside some of the classrooms so UMA is very useful to me.

Hope this helps.